Sponsored

MBRP Street - Rasp and Drone Fixed

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
If you're like me, you bought this exhaust because it's the most affordable cat-back system available; even cheaper than Roush axle-back system in some cases. I wanted to love this exhaust, but honestly, the rasp and the drone (albeit minor) was annoying and just killed the experience.

I have to thank gzstang for being a pioneer; I was skeptical that any resonator would fit anywhere in the system. I had multiple exhaust shops tell me that it couldn't be done. Well, apparently MBRP makes a resonator that is the perfect size for this system.

What you need and how to get it:

The MBRP part number is R1013 and you'll find a link to the listing on MBRP's website below. I found mine on Amazon for $79.99 each.

You'll also need clamps. I chose to go with SmartParts #100300 3" Lap Joint Band Clamps. I also found these on Amazon for $9.79 each.

The only other items needed are basic tools (sockets) and some sort of cutting implement. I used a sawzall with a fine-tooth blade but, as you might imagine, the cuts weren't the straightest or the prettiest. Ideally a band saw would be used, but you could get away with using a good 'ol hacksaw.

How to do it:

The amount of pipe I removed from each "leg" of the the H-pipe was, more or less, 15". I arrived at this number by taking the total length of the resonator (20") and subtracting 2.5" from either end for a total of 5". This will put both ends of the cut ~3/8" from completely bottomed out inside the resonator. This is more than enough as the slip joints on the resonators are almost 3" deep. This also allows for some wiggle room if I wanted to make the H-pipe slightly shorter. If you use my measurements and screw up your exhaust, I'm not responsible. :thumbsup:

The hardest part of this project was getting the gumption up to start cutting into the H-pipe. The second hardest was getting everything to line up correctly after re-installing the H-pipe. Since 4 additional joints are added by doing this, it can make it somewhat frustrating trying to get everything where it should be. Marking each joint, prior to removal from the car and cutting, would have made things much easier.

Impressions:

So, finally, what does it sound like? I'll give my impression first and then post a few videos later. To be perfectly honest, the reduction of sound inside the car is surprising; almost to the point of being disappointing. The location of the H-pipe plays a major role in the amount of perceived sound inside the car. With the resonators in place, there's a decent amount of insulation added.

The best way to describe it is...your foot no longer feels connected to the exhaust. Previously, when I'd blip the throttle during a down-shift, I could feel the vibrations from the exhaust through my foot. Now, that sensation is greatly reduced. It feels and sounds stockish.

It's hard to tell if the exhaust note any quieter, or if the pitch has changed at all. HOWEVER...the raspy, farting-in-a-tuba sound is completely gone. It's like night and day, I kid you not. The note is pleasant, clean, and sounds appropriate for the car.

By virtue of eliminating the rasp, there is definitely a perceivable drop in volume inside the car. Because shorter-length sound waves (highs) travel and bounce more easily, the net result is that it seems quieter. Again, I don't know that I would say it's actually quieter. Don't worry, the car will still be plenty loud and you get to keep all the rumbly, gargling V8 sounds that everyone loves. Interestingly, it still burbles and rumbles at low RPM when using engine braking; I worried the resonators would kill that.

Driving on the highway with the windows up is, for all intents and purposes, equivalent to stock. The faint droning is 100% gone.

So am I happy with it? Absolutely - I'd take the loss of feedback over the alternative any day of the week. The total cost was a few cents shy of $200 (though I used reward points and basically paid $80); even with $200 on top of what I paid for the MBRP system, it's still quite a bit cheaper than other cat-back systems.

Video(s) and pics to come later; you'll just have to trust me for now.

Links:

gzstang's post (with pics): http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54833&page=3

MBRP resonator: http://mbrpautomotive.com/?page=products&part=R1013
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Can't wait for the video. Did you do a before vid too?

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't wait for the video. Did you do a before vid too?
No, I was in a bit of a hurry. Plus I figured enough people already know what this system sounds like. True, it would've been nice to have a direct comparison but, oh well...

Last edited:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
best system out there for the $$, hard to beat it.

some like the newer edge rasp some like old school deep h type muscle. nice to take an inexpensive system and tailor it to your needs

i do think sometimes drone and tone get confused a little,

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up. I'm gonna be looking into this but i have to see what my cat back sounds like with my new Arh 1/78 th headers with high flow cats. If it is to loud or raspsy i will do this... Do you have any pics of what it looks like on your car?

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up. I'm gonna be looking into this but i have to see what my cat back sounds like with my new Arh 1/78 th headers with high flow cats. If it is to loud or raspsy i will do this... Do you have any pics of what it looks like on your car?
I don't. There are pics in the thread I linked, however. The resonators go in the H-pipe between the brace and the cross-over pipe.

I think that the louder the exhaust, the more of an effect the resonators have.

2016Stang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base PP Oxford White 6-speed manual
I have the MBRP street stainless steel also very raspy at frist. But after a few a couple thousand miles its not raspy at all. think these just need at break in time. as for drone not bad at all. before I bought these I had some nock off flow master mufflers welded on and talk about drone. I drive 73 miles one way five days a week to work and had a headache almost every day and for the price you cant beat these.use what you save for other mods.:)

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the MBRP street stainless steel also very raspy at frist. But after a few a couple thousand miles its not raspy at all. think these just need at break in time. as for drone not bad at all. before I bought these I had some nock off flow master mufflers welded on and talk about drone. I drive 73 miles one way five days a week to work and had a headache almost every day and for the price you cant beat these.use what you save for other mods.:)
Well, I think that it's true to an extent. The rasp was still very much there after 3.5K miles on mine. Interestingly, it seemed to be less pronounced if it was cooler outside.

Sponsored
OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, as promised, here are some videos (in 4K no less):

Dead-cold start with gentle revs to 2K RPM:

[ame]

Warm start with progressive revving - be sure to turn on annotations for RPM notes:

[ame]

Slightly aggressive takeoff and then 1st gear all the way to 6.5K - wasn't able to shift into 2nd and keep going without breaking the speed limit:

[ame]

The observant among you, who are familiar with this system, will notice that the "nails in a can" sound that results from revving the engine while it's cold is completely gone. The timing advance meant to aid in warming up the engine sounds god awful without the resonators.

You'll also notice that there are still some higher tones in the 6-6.5K range; I don't think any system (even Magnaflows) removes this sound. I've watched almost every single video there is of S550 exhaust systems, and every single one makes this sound. The videos don't really do it any justice either; the difference, trust me, is night and day. For what it's worth, you can't hear that higher tone from inside the car, even in a tunnel or in a garage.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
That's real good work, sounds great in the second video, thank for doing the leg work on this. I just haven't been able to bring myself to putting more money in it at this time. But now I KNOW what I can do...THANKS!

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
If I had heard that a year ago, I wouldnt have my Magnaflow Street now. That sounds great!

OP
OP
OrangeRush

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad to see that the videos and write up was well-received. I thought for sure it would start an argument, LOL!
Sponsored