GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
noob.

Back in the day, "power" brakes were an expensive option.

Think of manual brakes as being like a bike. How well you stop is directly related to how much pressure you can apply to the pedal. Lock ups and mis matched brake pressures were common.

Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Manual brakes means you don't have vacuum or hydraulic assist. Like the one man said, it's all in your leg muscles. Even power steering was an option back then. I've had cars and trucks with four wheel drum brakes and no power assist. You could just have one Brembo on one wheel on a Mustang and it would still stop better. Too bad every body couldn't experience the shaking and rumbling of a four wheel drum brake car.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Manual brakes means you don't have vacuum or hydraulic assist. Like the one man said, it's all in your leg muscles. Even power steering was an option back then. I've had cars and trucks with four wheel drum brakes and no power assist. You could just have one Brembo on one wheel on a Mustang and it would still stop better. Too bad every body couldn't experience the shaking and rumbling of a four wheel drum brake car.
:headbang:
Reminds me on my 77 Chevy LuV pickup...

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I remember when the Chevy Luv 4x4 was kind of hard to get. The gasoline prices were high and long lines of cars waiting to buy rationed gasoline. My good buddy bought one of those Luvs. Had to pay MSRP too. What a classic. Lol

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

NowInSixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black,Sixth Gen, GT, Bad Arse
Well,it does have that sexy Pintoesque aura about it...
As a child my dad had a Pinto that the air conditioner went out on during the summer. I felt like a Thanksgiving Turkey for about a week until he finally got it fixed. Cars back then were tanks. LOL

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Manual brakes just meant no vacuum assist. You still had the power of hydraulics. Yes a strong leg helped if you wished to lock them up but wasn't necessary. I had two gto's and a lemans back then..all manual brakes...front drums even!

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Hydraulics is what makes the brake pads or shoes work. I'm talking about hydraulic assist from a separate pump like a power steering pump.

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
"the big 2.8 liter..."

:lol: