Maryland front plate

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Moving to Maryland. How strict are they on front plate? It appears in the code that a window mount would suffice.
Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Moving to Maryland. How strict are they on front plate? It appears in the code that a window mount would suffice.
Iā€™ve been driving without one since moving here over two years ago. I have only gotten a warning for it when I was pulled over for speeding and that was two years ago. All the sports cars in my building donā€™t have front plates even in window. I would say not the strictest. Plates in the window should be fine I would think

Last edited:
OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Iā€™ve been driving without one since moving here over two years ago. I have only gotten a warning for it when I was pulled over for speeding and that was two years ago. Ask the sports cars in my building donā€™t have front plates even in window. I would say not the strictest. Plates in the window should be fine I would think
Great. Been in Virginia 16 years and no problem. Itā€™s usually if something else triggers police.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Its one of those things where if they are looking for a stop to get a "stat" then you are game. New cops target it as they may not have a radar yet so they have to look for other violations to get their stops in. No front tag is basically "do it at your own risk"

and no, in the windshield does not suffice.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
As always it depends! I run 3 vehicles without front plates. On my mustang i've been stopped several times, most warnings, but if cops sees old warnings that are relatively new, i would get a ticket, $75 current charges. Same with my truck. Cobra seems to have avoided being stopped. Over last 10 years been stopped probably 8 times and 3 tickets. Again they see prior stops. Now there are a ton of daily drivers with Historic plates driving illegally and no stops. Proposed law changes have been offered, but all it takes is one delegate to vote against and it diesn't pass. Looks like an emotional vice technical rational.

Sponsored

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As always it depends! I run 3 vehicles without front plates. On my mustang i've been stopped several times, most warnings, but if cops sees old warnings that are relatively new, i would get a ticket, $75 current charges. Same with my truck. Cobra seems to have avoided being stopped. Over last 10 years been stopped probably 8 times and 3 tickets. Again they see prior stops. Now there are a ton of daily drivers with Historic plates driving illegally and no stops. Proposed law changes have been offered, but all it takes is one delegate to vote against and it diesn't pass. Looks like an emotional vice technical rational.
Yes. A couple tickets in other cars, but never in stang.
a lot cheaper than VA at least.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The worse part Iā€™m seeing is there are no nice looking plates to match a dark colored car.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I did when I left MD was rip that stupid tag bracket off the front of my truck. Never going back there if I can help it.

cbgogo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I don't have front plates on either of my two vehicles and have basically never had an issue. I got scolded by a cop at BWI while I was picking someone up once, but I have never actually gotten pulled over for it.

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I don't have front plates on either of my two vehicles and have basically never had an issue. I got scolded by a cop at BWI while I was picking someone up once, but I have never actually gotten pulled over for it.
Yep. No issue In Virginia. They do have strict exhaust laws

Sponsored

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve gotten a warning and a ticket for no front plate during the 3 years Iā€™ve had my s550. Same for the 2 years of ownership of my Mach 1, and that car was orange. Everyone else pretty much nailed it. As long as you drive sensibly, you should be fine. But if theyā€™re out to fill a quota, thereā€™s no avoiding it really.

For example. In the s550, the warning I got was in ocean city during cruisinā€™ weekend. A show that brings thousands of cars. The cop took a look at my license and said heā€™s make a deal with me. His normal patrol was my hometown. Heā€™s give me a warning since we were in OC. But if he saw me back home, heā€™d write me up.

The ticket I got was when I was cruising home after an early morning drive (in the slow lane doing 70 in a 70). Cop passed me on the other side of a 3 lane highway separated by a median. Whipped a u turn and caught up to me to light me up. I knew I was getting a ticket be cause he did the most

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Iā€™ve gotten a warning and a ticket for no front plate during the 3 years Iā€™ve had my s550. Same for the 2 years of ownership of my Mach 1, and that car was orange. Everyone else pretty much nailed it. As long as you drive sensibly, you should be fine. But if theyā€™re out to fill a quota, thereā€™s no avoiding it really.

For example. In the s550, the warning I got was in ocean city during cruisinā€™ weekend. A show that brings thousands of cars. The cop took a look at my license and said heā€™s make a deal with me. His normal patrol was my hometown. Heā€™s give me a warning since we were in OC. But if he saw me back home, heā€™d write me up.

The ticket I got was when I was cruising home after an early morning drive (in the slow lane doing 70 in a 70). Cop passed me on the other side of a 3 lane highway separated by a median. Whipped a u turn and caught up to me to light me up. I knew I was getting a ticket be cause he did the most
Yeah Iā€™ll be around Frederick and 270 mostly

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Iā€™ll wait for warning

5.0_MD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
It isn't a very common offense that's pursed but you are always gambling with getting pulled over and getting a ticket (no different than having illegal tint or any other illegal "modifications). Especially if you're spotted leaving an establishment late at night and have had a few. Just food for thought. I suggest if you're dead set on not running it, have it in the trunk with some zip ties so you can explain you'll be willing to put it on to avoid the ticket.

BTW never been a fan of having a front plate resting inside my vehicle in the event of an accident. That plate on the dash might end up flying around and slice you up. Better off trying to tuck it up behind the grille. Just be aware of "illegal modification or obstruction" of it.

21-1112.1. Obscuring or modifying vehicle registration plate with intent to avoid identification prohibited In general.- A person may not obscure or modify any vehicle registration plate with intent to avoid identification
Sponsored