Sponsored

Manual in traffic

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car creeps well. I have a similar commute as the OP described.
Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I used to have a seventy-five minute commute which drove me nuts. Started leaving an hour earlier than usual and dropped the commute to 45 minutes. Spent the extra time at work/school getting things done. That worked well for 2 years. Then when I got a new job I made it a point to live within a 10 mile radius. I decided that type of traffic/driving was too much of a sacrifice on my free time.

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ya im guna go with the auto. For me and commuting mainly and drag strip it's better. Plus when I blow it will be able to handle it better. I also have a bike if I Wana shift gears and hit curves

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Ya im guna go with the auto. For me and commuting mainly and drag strip it's better. Plus when I blow it will be able to handle it better. I also have a bike if I Wana shift gears and hit curves
From what you said about your test drive it sounds like the auto is for you.

For me I had bought a 2014 auto GT saying thinking the same about my commute and drag race potential but got bored quick. The drag strip scene can get costly too.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
There is a noticable difference in how easy the shifter goes into gear with a well executed double clutch on the downshift (matches the intermediate shaft speed). Totally unecessary with a modern manual transmission with syncros especially if you are already rev matching on the downshift, but you can still feel it ease into gear easier.

Fun to practice, just another rewarding opportunity one has with a stick
I would never practice anything with a transmission I'm paying for. I drive a 13 speed Eaton transmission mack all day everyday. It took me a good six months of driving 12 hours a day to learn to float the gears perfectly. I'm sure there were quite a few transmissions that lost teeth along the way. Imo there's no reason Joe smo should be doing anything other than the standard push the clutch in shift gears and release clutch. Especially when one miscue could cost several thousands on repair costs.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This clutch is light as f*ck. It's no more difficult using this car than it was to drive my loaner Jetta in traffice a couple of weeks ago. Just swap riding the brake with riding the clutch and voila. I just keep it in second gear for the majority of the time.

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
I agree there's no reason to do this in any car built in the last 30+ years, unless the transmission is worn out. All modern automobile manual transmissions are designed to automatically synchronize the speeds of the gears as you shift.
And in 30 more years (if standard transmission vehicles are still around) the average person will not know how or what a double clutch is. Aside from truckers and the very select who race, this technique will likely die off.

I double clutch on the regular. Mostly because I go down two gears at a time, or one gear to pass on the highway. To me it feels almost abusive to just shove the shifter into gear. Plus it's way smoother and you don't throw off the weight of the car.

Runamuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had the exact same decision to make when purchasing my 2015 GT. I went with the manual and 3.55 gear ratio because I missed the responsiveness of a manual. My previous Mustang was a 2006 GT with auto and 3.31s and the constant 'searching' for gears and the hesitation when flooring it drove me nuts. However, as my spouse pointed out, I probably should have test driven a 2015 with the automatic before making a final decision. I've been in traffic many times wishing I had an automatic. Ideally, I would like to own one of each...

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
I had the exact same decision to make when purchasing my 2015 GT. I went with the manual and 3.55 gear ratio because I missed the responsiveness of a manual. My previous Mustang was a 2006 GT with auto and 3.31s and the constant 'searching' for gears and the hesitation when flooring it drove me nuts. However, as my spouse pointed out, I probably should have test driven a 2015 with the automatic before making a final decision. I've been in traffic many times wishing I had an automatic. Ideally, I would like to own one of each...
Sport and track driving modes basically eliminates the hesitation and searching for gears. Best of both worlds. I got rid of my last car after 6 months because driving a manual is pointless and annoying in a passenger car. The auto gets better mpg, never misses a shift, and is built better. Oh and no clutch changes. This is just my opinion not trying to ruffle feathers.

Sponsored
OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ya he met lagging and the hesitation is how I took it. And a good tune will fix it and honestly I drove the 3.55 auto and I was happy not much lag compared to previous gens. I've owned a 11 gt 6speed and 12 gt auto and the mt82 was just crap sometimes locking me out of gears that's why I went to the auto. And this time around spending 40k car will be around a while lol

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
This is getting old

OP
OP

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
? Then don't read it?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Unsubscribed

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I would never practice anything with a transmission I'm paying for. I drive a 13 speed Eaton transmission mack all day everyday. It took me a good six months of driving 12 hours a day to learn to float the gears perfectly. I'm sure there were quite a few transmissions that lost teeth along the way. Imo there's no reason Joe smo should be doing anything other than the standard push the clutch in shift gears and release clutch. Especially when one miscue could cost several thousands on repair costs.
Man I can row that manual like it was a third limb, thank you very much. Those are practices which extend the life of the manual transmission, as they rely muuuuch less on the syncros and reduce clutch wear when executed properly. Anyone with practice can do such things without even thinking, even in split second situations. There is no consequence to trying this except a 'typical' gearchange. And like I said, its more of a matter of driving enjoyment being more involved, and less about durability. It just so happens to be slightly beneficial
Sponsored