Major improvement with MT82 fluid change

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
I had no real issues with my MT82, it shifted fine but was a bit notchy, you could feel the gears bumping a bit between 1st and 2nd, and then 2nd to 3rd.

Changed the fluid and wow... smooth as butter. I did not expect so noticeable a difference, it is literally night and day. Tranny went from OK to OMG. Highly recommend taking the 30 minutes or so required to change your fluids, and the ~$50 cost is well worth it.

I followed the guide over here: http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f392/t354755/

I used 3 quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax, cheapest I could find was on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKTG0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I used a cheap pump, which worked great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQW5LK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Have had ZERO problems with my MT82 to date (vehicle is still in the break in mode due to lousy weather...have less than 400 miles on it and have had it since early December) but first oil change I'm going with a tranny fluid flush and changeover.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Have had ZERO problems with my MT82 to date (vehicle is still in the break in mode due to lousy weather...have less than 400 miles on it and have had it since early December) but first oil change I'm going with a tranny fluid flush and changeover.

Which fluid were you thinking of using?

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Which fluid were you thinking of using?
After doing a ton of research on line, I'm going to go with the Motorcraft Dual Clutch Tranny Fluid (QDC) with the X-18 Additive as called for by the Ford Service Bulletin and current Ford/Motorcraft Transmission Fluid Chart. Apparently once Ford went with QDC and X-18 additive the cold shift problems with the German/Chinese Getrag MT82 seemed to clear up substantially. I also talked with a Getrag representative who said unequivocally that QDC was a lighter viscosity lubricant and the X-18 additive is essential as it maintains a presence on the gears especially if the vehicle has been cold soaked or not run for a prolonged period...the X-18 aids in cold shifts and then reverts back to a more viscous property under heat. As far as using other after market lubricants...he was pretty non committal and offered that if you use QDC and X-18 Ford will totally warranty your Gearbox but using other than QDC and X18, you're in essence rolling the dice. he suggested that before you purchase any fluid other than the manufacturer recommended fluid, you check with the specific manufacturer or Ford itself (I believe that the Ford Transmission Fluid chart lists NO other fluids other than QDC and X-18) :clap2:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
After doing a ton of research on line, I'm going to go with the Motorcraft Dual Clutch Tranny Fluid (QDC) with the X-18 Additive as called for by the Ford Service Bulletin and current Ford/Motorcraft Transmission Fluid Chart. Apparently once Ford went with QDC and X-18 additive the cold shift problems with the German/Chinese Getrag MT82 seemed to clear up substantially. I also talked with a Getrag representative who said unequivocally that QDC was a lighter viscosity lubricant and the X-18 additive is essential as it maintains a presence on the gears especially if the vehicle has been cold soaked or not run for a prolonged period...the X-18 aids in cold shifts and then reverts back to a more viscous property under heat. As far as using other after market lubricants...he was pretty non committal and offered that if you use QDC and X-18 Ford will totally warranty your Gearbox but using other than QDC and X18, you're in essence rolling the dice. he suggested that before you purchase any fluid other than the manufacturer recommended fluid, you check with the specific manufacturer or Ford itself (I believe that the Ford Transmission Fluid chart lists NO other fluids other than QDC and X-18) :clap2:

Best of luck! Also remember Ford can't tell you what fluid to use, only the specs they require. Same deal with engine oil, as long as the OEM specs are matched or exceeded you should be good.

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
Best of luck! Also remember Ford can't tell you what fluid to use, only the specs they require. Same deal with engine oil, as long as the OEM specs are matched or exceeded you should be good.
Agreed...the way the weather has been here (coupled with my frequent deployments), I'll finish break-in by sometime in mid 2016 (I used to work in NoVA for Aircare both in the Shenandoah Valley and in Winchester/Front Royal)

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
I'm a firm believer that in some cases a trans fluid change can reverse a transmission problem. I had some grinding in my Honda did a known fluid change and the issue went away and that was 100,000 miles ago.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Agreed...the way the weather has been here (coupled with my frequent deployments), I'll finish break-in by sometime in mid 2016 (I used to work in NoVA for Aircare both in the Shenandoah Valley and in Winchester/Front Royal)

I'd have that 'break-in' nonsense done the day I bought the car. :headbang:

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I will be doing this soon.

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Thanks for the heads up. I will probably do this in the coming weeks (before March 15th), along with the whiteline or steeda transmission mount insert. I'm still undecided as to whether I should use Redline MTL, Amsoil, or Royal Purple.

After doing a ton of research on line, I'm going to go with the Motorcraft Dual Clutch Tranny Fluid (QDC) with the X-18 Additive as called for by the Ford Service Bulletin and current Ford/Motorcraft Transmission Fluid Chart.
Isn't this what comes in the gearbox from the factory (QDC + XL-18)?

OP
OP
2Cool

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
Thanks for the heads up. I will probably do this in the coming weeks (before March 15th), along with the whiteline or steeda transmission mount insert. I'm still undecided as to whether I should use Redline MTL, Amsoil, or Royal Purple.
I installed that insert about a week into owning the car, didn't noticed any real increase in noise or vibration, shifts felt a bit more sure with less movement in the shifter.
Sponsored