Sponsored

Magnets for front license plate?

logicgaming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY15 Guard Green Ecoboost Prem
Hi all,

My state requires front plates and I faced the same no-drilling problem as many have. Since I haven't received my car yet, would using 2 rare earth magnets to attach the front plate work?

I have not seen the bumper for a PP car up close so I'm hopping some PP owners can let me know if that would work.

Basically, I have a bunch of old HDDs lying around (work in IT). I plan to take out those magnets use them to attach the plate to the car. I would doubleside tape 2 magnets inside the bumper, and glue the other 2 to the license plate+bracket. Then, the 4 magnets would attach with 25 lbs of force to separate them.

I just don't know how thick the bumper is to do this, so I'm hoping someone could give some insight if you've taken a look at this before.

I just wanted to throw around some ideas before I spend $75 on a sto-n-sho. Thanks!
Sponsored

TiE2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium, with saddle interior
Even if it did work, I would be scared to attach the plate to the front. Removing it would cause serious damage to your paint.

I also work in IT, and I have a metal filing case, that has a "collection" of the magnets on it. It's hard to remove them by pulling straight back. you should see how much of the paint is missing on the case, due to the magnets, getting removed.

Sponsored

vanguard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco guard
unless you fix the magnets on the outside of the bumper so they are directly in contact with the magnets on the plate you won't get enough force - you also are damaging the paint as mentioned

i'd go with one of the bracket solutions as it's safer

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Our state (Nebraska) uses aluminum Plates.

OP
OP

logicgaming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY15 Guard Green Ecoboost Prem
Thanks all, gonna go with the Sto-n-Sho!

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD