Magneride VDM Swap - PP1 to PP2, GT350, or GT350R

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I'm upgrading my EBPP+MR with GT350R springs and although I think the stock MR dampers will be OK, I'm wondering how far I can go with the GT350/R upgrades. The VDM unit in the trunk seems like an obvious choice - easy bolt in and cheap. I assume that chassis-specific damper tuning is contained in the VDM, but I don't have a lot of faith that it would just be plug-n-play. Is there a need to involve a dealer in this to flash or sync anything? Has anyone even tried this swap? At less than a Franklin for a take-off GT350 VDM, I'm tempted to try this after the holiday bills are paid off, but would love to hear if anyone has already gone there.

Wildcards: I'm thinking that the GT350R unit is probably not the best choice since the CF wheels are so much lighter than most normal wheels. I've also read that the GT350/R dampers have smaller valves than PP/PP2 MR dampers. I can see how that might affect VDM tuning and results between shock/spring combos. All hearsay, I have no confirmation on either of these issues.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I doubt if they did a separate calibration for wheels. I do know that Billy Johnson was the driver for the Shelby dampers (GT350 & 500) and he was quite pleased with how they ended up. He didn't do the GT or Eco calibrations, so my guess is they aren't as good.

OP
OP
TicTocTach

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Yeah, I figured with the FPP MR handling package including a flash intended for.
non-Shelby cars there was something left on the table. Not sure how much was left, though...
Sponsored