Magnaride/Recaros

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
FN 18 GT Autos now frequently on CarSales less than $60 k driveaway from Ford dealers.

Wanna pair a Hardtop with my vert and given the negligible cost difference now between Series 1 and 18 update - considering new or demo 18 GT, five year warranty and all.
Occasionally see cars with Magnaride not much more than standard cars.

Any feed back on Magnaride’s merits. YouTubers seem to say only worthwhile if car is tracked.

My car stored in container 10 months each year - only galloped when I rotate back to Australia.

18 GT will be same same.

I plant to keep both cars forever and no one has ever commented on long term maintenance issues of Magnaride. Can’t even locate in Ford Service schedule when those inevitably expensive shocks will require mandatory replacement.

How have people found the Recaros? Standard seats in my 17 have been a disappointment.

What’s the latest on 18 GT engine tick/failure and replacement? Auto failures too? Or have RHD/export models been lucky - so far.
Sponsored

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've been under the impression of the opposite whereby regular road the Magneride is best due to imperfect sufaces etc and making it softer when cruising and firmer when driving harder (or on better surfaces), where as Coilovers better to do for track. That's at least how i'd also personally approach the purchase. Road only i'd be all over Magneride. Regular track i'd go proper coilovers.

Maintenance is yet to be seen iirc as hasn't been around ages. Maybe check the GT350 section as they've been on those longer. I'd expect it to be somewhat costly, special shocks and the oil/fluid inside is special since it's got some degree of magnetic properties (hence magneride) with associated monitoring sensors and whatever produces the electrical signal to change the magnetic properties etc etc. Long term it might become common so who knows if it'll actually be cheap later on but currently again i'd go with traditional shocks/springs for ease of maintenance and costs for the future.

There's been a couple engines i'm aware of that have dropped valves and needed replacement under warranty (full engine). No different to the oil cooler issue with the 15-17 i guess (except no aftermarket solution for now?)

I bought my 2016 Fastback with the view of longevity too which is why i didn't go the 2018 (i bought after 18's released). For me the known issues were pretty minimal and car is otherwise great and i can fix the cooler. The subsequent tick and likely same cooler issue with the 18's means more i have to replace. I did however want magneride but i guess i'm not missing it since i've never had it.

I'm sure you'll be happy with a 2018 and all likelyhood it'll hold itself together well.

OP
OP
radar

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Same as you, I brought my 17 after MY18 update released in US.
It was not confirmed at the time Ford would keep with RHD program or export model. Still prefer our front TBH.

I like look of coupe too. Plan to keep my vert forever.

When I return - maybe try and drive a Magneride. As you outline, no one knows of long term suspension maintenance and costs so I think I’ll stick with standard set up.

Davidj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Anybody who says magneride is only for the track has no clue. The biggest difference is on the road, much softer/compliant than the standard cars in comfort mode, much firmer/sharper in sport or track. Doesn't jiggle around like the standard suspension either, night and day difference.

I got a courtesy car with the standard suspension recently, after driving a mag ride car for months and never really spending too much time in a standard rig I was astonished at just how noticeably different they are. Blindfolded you'd think you were driving a different chassis altogether. Even if it were a $5k option I'd still get it in a heartbeat.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I have MR and recaros, and I'd make the same decision a hundred times over. I do track my car frequently though, and it still needed some help in the form of springs & sway bars.

I had coilovers on my last car, they were just a hassle on the street.

I have the auto, and now running an E85 tune - this car is an animal

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Matt are you using the car as a DD? Have been wondering about the practicality of the Recaro design in terms of frequent getting in/out, and also D side outer bolster wear.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Yep, DD with 11500km on the clock as of today. Recaros are great for daily or long drives, but I am a small fella lol. Big guys do comment on the shoulders hugging butin general the feedback is they’re really good.

Honestly the seat bolstering is the worst part about them, it’s barely different to the normal seats. On the track I still get thrown around, and my left knee gets a workout against the center console

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase