torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
Is this kind of movement normal for the lower control arms? Is the bushing like a ball bearing style which allows coaxial movement but not longitudinal?
I only owned german cars, which have rock solid busings, which do not move at all.
By the way, this is the car lifted up, with wheel off. It was very easy to move by hand as you can see, little to no resistance in the ball joint also.
I removed the sway bar link, it is so easy to move, I almost thought it's broken... so my clunking is most likely from there; or a combination of these 2. I will take it to Ford see if they can do it under warranty...
Thanks for any feedback

Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I think I found my answer; they are spherical bearing control arms, but there is not much info out there. The ball joint should still not be that easy to move on a relatively new car ??

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had a lot of movement too. I believe it's normal.
Thanks; reading about the spherical bearings; they are like that, so it's by design. I will let it slip for a another month and take it in maybe before winter storage time. I don't have a huge issue, just some small clunk noise that's on my mind for a while. It could be the strut itself also... just noisy.

horns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony Car
When do you hear the clunk? I have a clunk noise when I am backing up and turning the wheel as part of a 3 limit turn. Maybe this is the same as you?

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks; reading about the spherical bearings; they are like that, so it's by design. I will let it slip for a another month and take it in maybe before winter storage time. I don't have a huge issue, just some small clunk noise that's on my mind for a while. It could be the strut itself also... just noisy.
I, too, have a clunk in the right front, but it's just after I replaced the spindle.

Once it warms up a little bit I'm going to pull the tire off again and put a wrench back on everything. If I was a betting man I'd say it's my strut bolts. I can't think of anything else that would make noise.

The strut bolts need like 186 ft lbs.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
When do you hear the clunk? I have a clunk noise when I am backing up and turning the wheel as part of a 3 limit turn. Maybe this is the same as you?
I only have it when I run over potholes, or raised manhole covers (they are just horrible here, they never get them right; either make a 2-3" hole, or raised the same amount) . No noises on backing, turning or anything like that..

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I, too, have a clunk in the right front, but it's just after I replaced the spindle.

Once it warms up a little bit I'm going to pull the tire off again and put a wrench back on everything. If I was a betting man I'd say it's my strut bolts. I can't think of anything else that would make noise.

The strut bolts need like 186 ft lbs.
Do you happen to have the torque values for all the suspension nuts and bolts (just front) ? I re-tightened the ball joint nuts yesterday, a couple of them felt really loose, but I did it by feel, not with a torque wrench.
Many thanks.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Do you happen to have the torque values for all the suspension nuts and bolts (just front) ? I re-tightened the ball joint nuts yesterday, a couple of them felt really loose, but I did it by feel, not with a torque wrench.
Many thanks.
brake caliper to knuckle: 85 foot pounds

outter tie rod end from knuckle.
tie rod end to knuckle: 30 ft pounds

both lower control arm ends
both front lower control arms to knuckle: 76 foot pounds

Remove and discard knuckle to strut bolts.
Front knuckle to strut bolts: 184 foot pounds

Hubs bolts 98 foot lbs (these are a motherfucker as there isn't enough room for a big wrench).

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Hubs bolts 98 foot lbs (these are a motherfucker as there isn't enough room for a big wrench).
Many thanks!

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

In addition, there are:

Sway bar link nuts: 85 ft-lbs
Strut top nut: 76 ft-lbs
Strut upper mount: 46 ft-lbs

You can torque the front hub bolts quite easily with the right tools. The front pair are easily accessible by turning the steering wheel to max lock toward the side you're working on. The rear pair require max lock the other way, a 3/8" drive torque wrench rated at 100 ft-lbs and an 18mm crowfoot flare-nut socket.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
In addition, there are:

Sway bar link nuts: 85 ft-lbs
Strut top nut: 76 ft-lbs
Strut upper mount: 46 ft-lbs

You can torque the front hub bolts quite easily with the right tools. The front pair are easily accessible by turning the steering wheel to max lock toward the side you're working on. The rear pair require max lock the other way, a 3/8" drive torque wrench rated at 100 ft-lbs and an 18mm crowfoot flare-nut socket.
My issue was I had half the car up in the air, with those big ass front tires I'm fairly timid on turning the wheel. I just deal with it unless I have no choice.

I made it work, just had to set my purse down.