Sponsored

looking to start modding..

2015ebpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Eco PP
all stock at moment. Think I will start with a CAI? Then exhaust? What CAI is everyone going with? Thanks in advance
Sponsored

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0
I went with the intake from MAP. I love the pronounced sound you get from the turbo.

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
map intake cause it looks nice. exhauat I went with a muffler delete and an eBay downpipe

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150

Sponsored

UPRSteve

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
Vehicle(s)
15 GT

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
I have documented this a few times, but here ya go. When it comes time to do an intake, this is the setup I would ULTIMATELY recommend.

Airaid tube, stock airbox, green filter, velossa tech ram air inlet.

If you don't want a stock looking intake, I would go with the Full-Race.

Catch can should be added before you get to the downpipe upgrade. I sell them on my site :http://adamtuned.com/collections/20...lve-catch-can-2015-ecoboost-mustang-smoke-fix

Some parts can add power without a tune based on the factory parameters in the ECU. Here is a quick breakdown on why each make power, and they are in order of what I recommend from bolt ons first to last.

Intercooler - Intercooler can produce power gains without a tune because it allows the charge air to be cooled substantially over the factory unit. As charge air temp raises the factory ECU reduces timing. Less timing = less power. The other reason it makes power is because of the cool air entering the combustion chamber. The colder the air, the more power that can be made.

Catback - An increase in exhaust flow means the turbo can breath easier and it makes boost more efficiently. Most catbacks will give you an increase in boost of 1-2psi without any changes. However the ECU will try to block out any excess boost as it has limits set in place. The car will make about 18-19psi factory, the ecu allows up to 20.5psi. So if you increase boost with a bolt on, it will start closing the throttle body at 20.5psi. You will feel a substantial increase in torque during throttle closures because of the restriction. Restriction = torque.

Downpipe - Same exact reason as the exhaust. However I put the catback in front of the downpipe because the catback has more significant weight savings, and it also doesn't smell as much as a catted downpipe.

Intake - Intakes are at the bottom of the list because the gains are very minor after a tune. Without a tune you will get a small gain if the intake is sized properly. If you are looking for a cone filter style intake you will want to go with an intake that has a 3" tube. Anything bigger can cause "lag" and reduced torque. Remember what I said about restriction above? Intake swith BIG tubes that taper down to 2.25" to connect to the stock turbo work out well because of the smooth taper.

You have to put some thought into purchasing an intake in my opinion. Something with a huge tube and open element filter will net you a small gain in HP (1-2hp) around 4,500rpm and up. However you will sacrifice a lot of torque down low.

An intake like JLT/Roush has a good balance of both, they have a big tube that tapers down to the stock size inlet and has an open element filter (cone filter). It gives you the same gains up top, but a good bump in torque (10-25ft/lbs). They are made with plastic tubes as well which helps eliminate heat soak while sitting in traffic.

MAP intake is very simple has has a similar balance and is 3" from start to finish. It as well will give you the same gain in power up top, and torque down low. It is stainless as well which runs fairly cool during driving and during pulls. However sitting in traffic will cause a bit of heatsoak. Full-Race is 3" as well and includes a heatshield. I like the way they bring the filter back forward to face the factory cold air inlet like the factory box.

The Airaid intake has the most increase in torque out of all the intakes, but has very little peak horsepower gain. The torque comes from the fact it uses a closed box and has less open area around the filter that isn't as high flowing as an open element filter. Again restriction plays it's role, but don't take restriction negatively. If there were zero gains on HP and TQ then you would know it is TOO restrictive. However if the HP is consistent and the TQ is increased it is working as it should.

Intakes are at the bottom of the list based on a few reasons, the hp/tq increase. The annoying noise they produce with the factory BPV, and honestly because the factory intake works fairly well with a good drop in filter in it (Green filter is what I recommend).

With that all said, I will ALWAYS recommend a Tune and intercooler before any other modifications are done. So to recap, this is what you should be doing for modifications in order of most beneficial to lease beneficial.

Tuner (Accessport) with an E-tune>Intercooler>Actuator (requires E-tune)>Catback>Downpipe>Intake

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
What I didn't mention is that the biggest power gain after an intercooler/tune is methanol injection. I will be releasing a bolt-in WMI kit in 2 weeks roughly.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I will be releasing a bolt-in WMI kit in 2 weeks roughly.
Is this going to be based off AEM's kit or another brand.

Sponsored

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
all stock at moment. Think I will start with a CAI? Then exhaust? What CAI is everyone going with? Thanks in advance
Do intercooler and oil catch can first, then thank me later

Throw in a Steeda or Boomba Throttle Body Spacer as well

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
What I didn't mention is that the biggest power gain after an intercooler/tune is methanol injection. I will be releasing a bolt-in WMI kit in 2 weeks roughly.
That's what I wanna hear!
Sponsored