Sponsored

Looking for opinions from those that have completely rewired their system.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
Here is the wiring diagram for the premium system.

The front gear im using is a Hertz 2 way component set (6 inch and tweeter), with a separate 3 inch hertz woofer.

The crossover for the regular components is only for a 2 way setup, so I have also picked up a 300hz high pass filter for the 3 inch mid.

I noticed in the wiring diagram that the door 3 inch and tweeter share a circut, and i'll be tapping into the factory wiring wherever possible. So I have 2 thought processes here and looking for opinions on which way I should go.

Option 1:

Use factory tweeter wiring to the pillar, disconnect it from the door 3 inch.

By going this way I could tap off the woofer wiring in the door, add my small 300 hz crossover and my own wiring between the door woofer and my door mid.

Option 2: Use factory tweeter wiring to door, mount small 300 hz crossover in the kick panel above the factory amp.

Going this way I would have to run 2 new wires up to the tweeters, which is a LOT more work than just a little 12 inch wire between the 2 speakers in the doors.

Going this way would allow me to run active crossovers should I ever decide to do that, but is a lot more work up front.
Sponsored

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
How big are your crossovers? If I remember correctly, I believe the tweeter wires run down the A-pillar towards the windshield. If you would find the wiring in the dash (honestly I don't know how) you could install the crossovers there. Although if you're running only 300hz X-overs you could tap in at the amp on the wires coming out of the amp to the speakers as 3" speakers aren't good for bass anyway. My plan if I plan to amplify with a new amp is to connect the crossover to the amp directly and then tap those wires to the speakers - which would just be the tweeter since I disconnected the mid speaker in the door anyway. Just something to think about. I don't like the idea of running new wires to the tweeter through the door if that's where they go...looks like a huge pain. I do only remember seeing 2 wires to the 3" speakers in the doors anyway when I had the panel off, so I have no idea where the wires from the amp to the tweeters are actually running, you'd think I'd see 4 wires if they were tapped off the 3" speaker?

OP
OP

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
How big are your crossovers? If I remember correctly, I believe the tweeter wires run down the A-pillar towards the windshield. If you would find the wiring in the dash (honestly I don't know how) you could install the crossovers there. Although if you're running only 300hz X-overs you could tap in at the amp on the wires coming out of the amp to the speakers as 3" speakers aren't good for bass anyway. My plan if I plan to amplify with a new amp is to connect the crossover to the amp directly and then tap those wires to the speakers - which would just be the tweeter since I disconnected the mid speaker in the door anyway. Just something to think about. I don't like the idea of running new wires to the tweeter through the door if that's where they go...looks like a huge pain. I do only remember seeing 2 wires to the 3" speakers in the doors anyway when I had the panel off, so I have no idea where the wires from the amp to the tweeters are actually running, you'd think I'd see 4 wires if they were tapped off the 3" speaker?

The 2 way crossovers for the hertz components (6 to tweeter) are gigantic and have to go in the rear of the car.

So I picked up a pair of these 300hz high pass crossovers, which can easily fit in the doors.

So i'd run the woofer side out of the hertz crossover into the factory wiring to the woofer in the door.. Then run my own wiring from that woofer, through the small crossover and into the 3 inch.

Then just use the tweeter output side of the hertz crossover into the factory wiring to the tweeter, saving me having to run a wire up there.

Its not 100% ideal, but it would prevent the 3 inch from playing the lower frequencies of the woofer, and the woofers own roll off is roughly 300 hz, so I think it should work pretty well.

OP
OP

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
The other way I could go, is ditch the hertz crossovers as well as those smaller units entirely.

Use the factory wiring in the doors, factory wiring to the 3 inch woofers in the doors and run my own wiring to the tweeter.

This would allow me to run each channel independently, and active crossovers, but im not convinced the extra work and expense (another amp) is going to provide a large enough increase in sound quality over my existing plan.
Sponsored