Sponsored

Looking for a good buffer.

mcfarlandc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Oxford White PP
I do not want to go cheap but I do not need top notch. Anyone have any links and experience good or bad with and certain brand? I'm thinking this will make it easier than doing it by hand. Thanks in advance. Trying to keep my baby clean and protected. And suggestions will be looked over and appreciated. Thank uou
Sponsored

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
Unless you need to buff out imperfections, I'd highly reccomend just waxing by hand.

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
As the others have already recommended the Porter Cable 7424 XP is the one to get and is what I use. If you do use any powered buffer/polisher keep the pressure light & the speed down.

Here's my SS after buffing with the Porter Cable 7424 XP then sealing & waxing by hand the other day. Once the paint is super smooth after buffing the sealant &/or wax goes on really easy by hand.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Spot on with the 7424 recommendations. It works wonderfully and will deliver great results with whatever products you use.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Flex 3401 is also a great tool. I've owned mine for years. More power than the portercable and forced rotation which is very nice.

The Rupes devices are popular, but require a different technique. Some love them and some can't adjust to them.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have a Griots Garage buffer and love it. It has more power than the porter cable and a lifetime warranty.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Depends how much you want to spend and skill level. If you are a beginner with a polisher and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars there is nothing from with the 7424XP. They're about $120 give or take and a good polisher. A lot of pros still keep a 7424 around in their collection even using Flex etc. Flex and Torq are a bit less same than the 7424 for novices.

Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Just something to keep in mind. Polishers like the 7424 will stop rotating if you put too much force on the head when polishing. This is not uncommon to want more force for correction.

Just keep that in mind. Otherwise it's a great tool.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Just something to keep in mind. Polishers like the 7424 will stop rotating if you put too much force on the head when polishing. This is not uncommon to want more force for correction.

Just keep that in mind. Otherwise it's a great tool.
I have a 30+ year old Craftsman variable speed grinder/polisher that I use for major corrections, put in the wrong hand you can easily burn the paint.

The 7424 will stop rotating if you put too much force on the head when polishing is a great safety feature (for the paint).

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The 7424 will stop rotating if you put too much force on the head when polishing is a great safety feature (for the paint).
Perhaps, but it can quickly become an issue too. It's not uncommon.

You'd have to be doing something really silly in order to hurt the paint with a forced rotation DA like the Flex 3401.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Perhaps, but it can quickly become an issue too. It's not uncommon.

You'd have to be doing something really silly in order to hurt the paint with a forced rotation DA like the Flex 3401.
I went to Autogeek.com & watched a review of the Flex 3401. That is a nice buffer, spendy ($400) but very nice. I found it interesting though that all the other Autogeek videos I watched they used the Porter Cable 7424 buffer.

Over the years I've seen some paint jobs destroyed by somebody overheating/burning the paint. Most recent was an owner of a new black ZL1 Camaro that wanted his paint to really pop. He went from scuffing his paint to burning it beyond recovery.

When I bought my new black 2014 SS Sedan the salesman was bragging on what a great job their detailers did & was trying to upsell me on their sealant package. I said no & after the detailers walked away I showed him all the swirl marks & scuffs in the paint then told him he needed a new detailer. Fortunately I was able to get the paint flawless.
Sponsored

Last edited: