Letting the oil warm up

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
I turn mine on before I go outside I have an auto and it's boosted. I also wait until I see the oil and trans temp in the green.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I don't know how old you are? But back in the day. Warming the car up. Ment letting it idle in the driveway for 5 minutes. But either way running it hard cold. Won't hurt anything. My 95 drag car doesn't even need the fan turned on til I hit the return lane. If it was bad for the car. every drag racer on earth would be screwed!:shrug:
A lot of people here are wasting miles per gallon and smiles per gallon with these unnecessary delays.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
My oil flows and lubricates at motor startup. Can't see what oil temp has to do with opg's. If opg's are failing must be forces applied doing it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Start up, let idle for 30 seconds, and then start driving. No beating on the engine till oil temp is above 1/4 from cold.
It's a car made to be driven by normal people. Can you imagine if it's that delicate there would be so many failures given how many they have sold?
I never let my engines just sit idling to warm up. Longest is probably 2 minute while I brush the snow off the windows. Most cases between 30 seconds to 1 minute.
All of my engines don't burn a single drop of oil and all of them gets an oil change once a year.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My oil flows and lubricates at motor startup. Can't see what oil temp has to do with opg's. If opg's are failing must be forces applied doing it.
Friction creates forces. Forces create crankshaft harmonics. Harmonics in excess of design criteria can blow opg's. It's not going to happen on a stock car though.

Sponsored

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
I always warm up the coolant and oil before getting on it.. That being said, a few weeks ago I was talking to a Ford engineer and how they test it. They do "Deep Thermal Cycling" which sounded insane. So it seems no matter what we do to our motors, its nothing compared to what they do to them!

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I always warm up the coolant and oil before getting on it.. That being said, a few weeks ago I was talking to a Ford engineer and how they test it. They do "Deep Thermal Cycling" which sounded insane. So it seems no matter what we do to our motors, its nothing compared to what they do to them!
FWIW department:

In 2014, Cadillac had sub-standard bearings that would wear out too soon make it into some cars. Not a lot, but the record keeping didn't pin it down to VINs or even build dates.

Too expensive to open up every engine to check. Too bad for business for customers to have engine failures. Solution: issue orders to dealers to start the engines of the cars on the lot and rev the snot out of them while cold to cause the bad bearings to fail BEFORE some customer bought the car and had the bearings fail down the road.

That tells me two things: (1) parts last longer (don't know how much) if you let oil reach a reasonable viscosity before beating on an engine. (2) not waiting for a reasonable viscosity probably won't kill parts within the warranty period or they wouldn't solve one problem (substandard bearings) by creating another (more engine problems inside warranty).

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
^^^^^Yup! Ford has to moron proof cars so people can start them cold and bang the rev limiter doing donuts.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
FWIW department:

In 2014, Cadillac had sub-standard bearings that would wear out too soon make it into some cars. Not a lot, but the record keeping didn't pin it down to VINs or even build dates.

Too expensive to open up every engine to check. Too bad for business for customers to have engine failures. Solution: issue orders to dealers to start the engines of the cars on the lot and rev the snot out of them while cold to cause the bad bearings to fail BEFORE some customer bought the car and had the bearings fail down the road.

That tells me two things: (1) parts last longer (don't know how much) if you let oil reach a reasonable viscosity before beating on an engine. (2) not waiting for a reasonable viscosity probably won't kill parts within the warranty period or they wouldn't solve one problem (substandard bearings) by creating another (more engine problems inside warranty).
Exactly. Modern engines ae built to precise tolerances. it's not the 1950s. My 95GT race car gets started long enough to get it off the trailer. Nobody warms their race car up because race fuel is so expensive! I then drive it over to tech in. (run time 1 minute) It's shut off during tech. It's restarted and driven for another minute from tech to the staging lanes. And shut off for a period of usually 30-45 minutes. When it's time to make a run. I start the car. Do a burnout, stage and launch the car at 5000RPM off of a trans brake. By the end of the run. The car is up to 180 degrees. And I turn the cooling fan on while in the return lane. A lot of drag racers shut down as soon as they cross the finish line. And are towed back to the starting line. Just to conserve the 10$-40$ dollar a gallon race fuel. As soon as the car is started. Lubrication is provided. It this wasn't the case. Every drag racer would be rebuilding their engines. Twice a season. I get people love their cars. But some of the things like warming them up and changing the oil every 3000 miles went out in the 60's.

Last edited:

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
I love internet engineers

Sponsored

Dosia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I wait until the oil gauge hits the green area. I can wait 2-3 minutes of driving for it to hit that before I bang on it. It is always better to let mechanical parts warm up a bit.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Yes.....of course.

car

Car
Threads