Sponsored

launch control

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Has anybody used the launch control on the strip or the street? if so what are your thoughts? Did it improve your0-60 or quarter mile times?
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
For me I have the pp and I have used the launch control, but I think the 3k lower limit is too high to launch with the 373 gears.Either wheel hops or just smokes them.My best one was me just holding at 1500 rpm and pop the clutch, not side step it, just fast release.This of course is stock tires.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
thanks. did you see a faster 0-60 or quarter mile when you used the launch control? Is it a pretty bad wheel hop?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I have not done the 1/4 mile yet , not going to the track until I get some drag radials just for that reason, bad wheel hop, after market bushings and tires will work alot to help the wheel hop.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
But yes faster 0 to 60 with the launch control on stock tires and being on the street.

Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Thanks again. anything over 1500 rpm you get wheel hop or tire smoke?

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
At 1500.rpm I dont get tire smoke as long as I warm the tires upna little bit, but still a little wheel hop.at 1500.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
To be honest with u the temp plays a big difference especially if u have the Pirelli p zeros.Warm them up real good and u can go over 1500rpm.I did a line lock last night and got them hot, set my launch to 3000 rpm and got a 4.9 0 to 60, which was pretty good for as cold as it was and being on the street.Practice makes perfect, just give time inbetween ur runs for the clutch to cool off lol.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
lol. when you set the launch control to 3000 rpm, did u spin a little or a lot after you warmed up the tires? sorry for all the question man

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
No it did wheel hop a little, but again tires have to be hot.I also leave in it track mode.

Sponsored
OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
One more question. is their a limit to how many times you can use the launch control feature? Can use it every pass down the drag strip or does it limit your use? Reason i ask is because i saw this video on youtube. He talks about how most launch control features on a car will only allow you to use it but so many times. youtube link below

[ame]

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
:p
One more question. is their a limit to how many times you can use the launch control feature? Can use it every pass down the drag strip or does it limit your use? Reason i ask is because i saw this video on youtube. He talks about how most launch control features on a car will only allow you to use it but so many times. youtube link below

He is talking about a slightly different type of launch control. The Mustangs system simply holds the revs on the manual transmission equipped car at your set level. It is up to the driver to release the clutch and get on the gas at the appropriate rate. You can do that as many times as you want, but you should be aware of how the clutch is handling the hard launches.

On the 911, the launch control is part of the dual clutch automatic transmission controller. The car will launch as aggressively as it can. Earlier cars, such as the GTR, had such hard launches that they could overheat the clutches after only a few runs. Nissan even attempted to void warranties for drag strip use, but eventually relented after bad press. So it was a big deal when the 911 could do this launches indefinitely.

Not something Mustang owners need to worry about.

-T

noliftshift23

Got IRS?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (non-PP, MT-82)
in my non PP, mt82 5.0, I was better off switching launch control off at the track this weekend.

even with advanced track completely off, launch control interfered with the launch once the system detected wheel hop. it would roll out nice for about 5 feet from the line, felt the hop and fall flat on its face for a split second then go again. consequently the 60' was terrible for me with launch control on. I also tried sportmode combined w/ launch control, out of curiosity. that was another catastrophe. the car did not like the high rpm shifts and pulled timing mid track on that one, felt like the car wanted to shut off for a few seconds during the run. didnt do that again....

there was another guy at the track in a mt82 w/PP car that had track mode turned on with the launch control and the system worked good for him. i dont have PP, so i didnt have a "track mode", just launch control. maybe that was the difference?

anyways, i was on street tire, and I was better off not using anything. i was launching at 1500 rpm, with everything turned off including launch control. Wheel hop is terrible on this car but its still a blast to drive! launch control on the street works decent though. i leave it at 3000rpm.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
in my non PP, mt82 5.0, I was better off switching launch control off at the track this weekend.

even with advanced track completely off, launch control interfered with the launch once the system detected wheel hop. it would roll out nice for about 5 feet from the line, felt the hop and fall flat on its face for a split second then go again. consequently the 60' was terrible for me with launch control on. I also tried sportmode combined w/ launch control, out of curiosity. that was another catastrophe. the car did not like the high rpm shifts and pulled timing mid track on that one, felt like the car wanted to shut off for a few seconds during the run. didnt do that again....

there was another guy at the track in a mt82 w/PP car that had track mode turned on with the launch control and the system worked good for him. i dont have PP, so i didnt have a "track mode", just launch control. maybe that was the difference?

anyways, i was on street tire, and I was better off not using anything. i was launching at 1500 rpm, with everything turned off including launch control. Wheel hop is terrible on this car but its still a blast to drive! launch control on the street works decent though. i leave it at 3000rpm.
Yes I would love to.try with track contol off but only at the track with street tires, its a big difference launching with these 373's gears.Another tip for the track is to try to be their when they open and get some of the first passes right after tbey prep the track, especially if ur on strreet tires.But again ur this wheel hop has to be fixed if anyone wants a good 60 foot time which is everything for the 1/4 mile.
Sponsored