Kustom Interior Seat Cover Install & Review —22 GT GBM

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Product review for a set of Black w/Blue front face faux leather seat covers from Kustom Interior!

Despite B.B. only being 3 months old, I’m neurotic about the cleanliness and protection of my car’s interior and wanted to give everything a good scrub and to have some leather protectorant added before the seat cover install process (big thanks to @DFB5.0 for the faux leather product and cleaning tips! 👍)

And…what a process this was, wow lol I absolutely DO love the quality of these seat covers (especially for the price!) and would go through all of this again to have the same OEM look and feel, but installing these is no joke and was NOT easy:

DEBB44E1-6C21-4D02-B37E-E9E04F84D3F5.jpeg

69501E9E-2F7C-41FA-B93E-B2EACE9ADF83.jpeg

886B1BCE-6F31-41DA-8043-DD1A0B9DC313.jpeg

Be warned that the latest version of these covers do not “easily slip over” the OEM seats and, in my opinion, you absolutely DO need to take the seats out of the car entirely to install them, as the anchors and straps need to be attached to areas of the underside of the seat that you absolutely cannot see or reach otherwise. Even removing the backing of the front seats can be tricky if you don’t know or can’t see how exactly they are secured.

I was a little upset about this as I bought the covers thinking I could tackle this project myself but there was absolutely no way. I ended up having to reach out to a local shop to see if they could help me out and lend me some man power/tools for unbolting and removing the seats. Even after employing their help and wrestling to get the covers on, it still took us (two people) just shy of an hour to finish it all. It certainly kicked my butt and I was absolutely feeling it the next day lol

And for reference and to be fair, I’m a 5’2” girl in her 30’s so crazy hand and arm strength isn’t one of my shining attributes haha. If you are in a comparable situation/condition and considering buying these seat covers, definitely plan to have some friends available to help out!

@Extreme Online Store: just a note for you all because you seem to take feedback from your customer base into consideration — I would definitely recommend you guys do the following:
  • create your own “installation” videos (or include paper instructions with each set) that walk people through what to do. I had to watch 4-5 different random customer videos to figure it all out; mainly how the clips, straps, and hooks work and attach within the underside of the seat
  • I really don’t think these should be advertised as “easy to install” or “no need to remove the seats.” If that’s true, show people exactly how easy it is with a video that covers where things attach without removing the seats entirely from the car. I’m just not seeing how that would have been possible?
  • consider updating your website with images of the newest versions of your seat covers. The set I received does not match what is pictured and I believe is an updated set (which is awesome, I just think the new style would help them sell!). A friend of mine who was considering ordering their own set was actually the one who pointed this out to me lol

In conclusion: assuming the quality does not fail on me over time (I’ve already scrubbed them clean and applied the same leather protectants), they were ABSOLUTELY worth the hassle and sweat to get them on!

I love the black/black set so much with my Grabber Blue Metallic baby and the interior really pops and feels brighter and more cheery now — which totally matches my personality and vibe. 💙

1FF94FA3-CE14-48FF-816A-BC1183B38464.jpeg

(steering wheel cover was a cheap find on Amazon)
Sponsored

Last edited:

SterlingStangMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Magnetic Ecoboost
Looks great! How much were they and what is there website. The ones I saw online were the honeycomb ones which do not appeal to me but love yours, especially if there are other color options.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Hey OP....how are these holding up?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
yea idk why they don't have any installation vids it's all random youtubers' halfassed vids lmao

Sponsored

OP
OP
DandeeLioness

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Hey OP....how are these holding up?
They’re holding up pretty well at five months out! I’ve only encountered a few issues thus far and they’re fairly minor:

1.) I noticed this area where the seatbelt strap slips through is starting to show very obvious signs of wear from the belt itself rubbing against it. I actually emailed the company a few weeks ago about what I could possibly do to reinforce that area better but I haven’t heard back yet. :c I might just try to sew a tiny strip of vinyl or something to that area to protect it and cover that blinding white “rope” material:

IMG_0239.jpeg

2.) The most annoying issue is easily this one. The driver’s seat cover (where your butt goes) keeps coming “loose.” The straps and mounting disks they use to secure it just don’t stay in place, especially if you adjust the seat a lot for different drivers, putting people in the backseat, etc. You have to slide your whole hand between the seat and the seat back and then try to position the disk so it rests perpendicular and “catches” on the inside (and you’re doing this maneuver blind if you don’t remove the seat). It’s hard to explain but it’s a huge pain to deal with for me personally when it happens because I always have to find a guy with far more hand/arm strength to push/pull them back into place for me. This will be the third time I’ve had to deal with them popping out:

IMG_0237.jpeg

(you can see the OEM seat underneath)

IMG_0236.jpeg

(This is the “disk” that attaches using an elastic strap that has to slip between the seats and “anchor” on the other side)

3.) There’s a few tiny threads I’ve noticed that have popped up a bit where my legs rest. Nothing I’m concerned about right now but will be keeping an eye on over time!

IMG_0247.jpeg

All of these things have only been issues with the driver’s seat, as it obviously gets the most interaction. I haven’t noticed any fading, cracking, or issues with the seat fabric itself beyond what I posted above. I’m still really happy with them and find they’re totally worth the compliments I constantly receive when people see the interior! It’s always the first thing they point out and love. 💙

OP
OP
DandeeLioness

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
yea idk why they don't have any installation vids it's all random youtubers' halfassed vids lmao
Right?? 🤣 It’s really strange that they have no official instructions or even company videos so I’m hoping they eventually remedy that for future customers!

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
They look nice and surely a much more affordable option, but if I were making a change to my interior I would just save for the Katzkins and have them professionally installed, yes I understand they are expensive but most times you get what you pay for. I really like the colors!

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
They’re holding up pretty well at five months out! I’ve only encountered a few issues thus far and they’re fairly minor:

1.) I noticed this area where the seatbelt strap slips through is starting to show very obvious signs of wear from the belt itself rubbing against it. I actually emailed the company a few weeks ago about what I could possibly do to reinforce that area better but I haven’t heard back yet. :c I might just try to sew a tiny strip of vinyl or something to that area to protect it and cover that blinding white “rope” material:

IMG_0239.jpeg

2.) The most annoying issue is easily this one. The driver’s seat cover (where your butt goes) keeps coming “loose.” The straps and mounting disks they use to secure it just don’t stay in place, especially if you adjust the seat a lot for different drivers, putting people in the backseat, etc. You have to slide your whole hand between the seat and the seat back and then try to position the disk so it rests perpendicular and “catches” on the inside (and you’re doing this maneuver blind if you don’t remove the seat). It’s hard to explain but it’s a huge pain to deal with for me personally when it happens because I always have to find a guy with far more hand/arm strength to push/pull them back into place for me. This will be the third time I’ve had to deal with them popping out:

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

(This is the “disk” that attaches using an elastic strap that has to slip between the seats and “anchor” on the other side)

3.) There’s a few tiny threads I’ve noticed that have popped up a bit where my legs rest. Nothing I’m concerned about right now but will be keeping an eye on over time!

IMG_0247.jpeg

All of these things have only been issues with the driver’s seat, as it obviously gets the most interaction. I haven’t noticed any fading, cracking, or issues with the seat fabric itself beyond what I posted above. I’m still really happy with them and find they’re totally worth the compliments I constantly receive when people see the interior! It’s always the first thing they point out and love. 💙
Re 1: maybe buy a seat belt guide that fits onto the headrest support.
re 3: use nail clippers to trim the thread and then a tiny blob of clear nail polish to glue the end left.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping

Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

Thanks for the update/review bro! They look great, but these little minor quibs would surely drive me up the walls too!

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)