KR001 (the first 19) GT350R started production today

Woody25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Vehicle(s)
2019 350R
There is no priority in respect to R vs non R. A particular build may have priority over another, but it has nothing to do with the type of 350. The cars are assigned a VIN, are then scheduled for a build, and a blend date is assigned. The "blend" is when the car hits the line for assembly. The robots/welds/paint are all done before the blend. They don't build the cars in batches, Rs are built the same time as non-R's. Some builds have priority over others for various reasons, but for the most part, they all are built at the same time and go across the line together. The only exception is the season. Rs are not built in the cold weather months because the Cup2 tires are prone to cracking.

Makes sense! Thanks.
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Rs are not built in the cold weather months because the Cup2 tires are prone to cracking.
i still think this is part of why the 19's are just now shipping.... i know there were some other issues, but timing seems "right" since it's finally warm ish.

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
1966 A code Fastback GT (wish I still had it), 2014 Explorer Sport, 2013 FLHTK Harley, 2019 GT350.
There is no priority in respect to R vs non R. A particular build may have priority over another, but it has nothing to do with the type of 350. The cars are assigned a VIN, are then scheduled for a build, and a blend date is assigned. The "blend" is when the car hits the line for assembly. The robots/welds/paint are all done before the blend. They don't build the cars in batches, Rs are built the same time as non-R's. Some builds have priority over others for various reasons, but for the most part, they all are built at the same time and go across the line together. The only exception is the season. Rs are not built in the cold weather months because the Cup2 tires are prone to cracking.
Tomster, I have been looking for info associated with what you just posted. So many different theories out there. Based on what you posted; if the R's are now going to be run at the same time as the non-R's, would it be safe to say there may be additional allocations coming up to be offered out to the dealerships, based on the the sales performance of the individual dealerships? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. I do have a pre-order in; and, may be in line to get a 2019, "IF" and "ONLY IF" a second series of allocations are made available. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find a 2019 in a showroom, once they all start getting delivered to the dealers, or, maybe even find a 2018, that has not sold. I'm definitely wanting one at this stage of my life; and, it would not only be my keeper, it would be my daily driver! Jess

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tomster, I have been looking for info associated with what you just posted. So many different theories out there. Based on what you posted; if the R's are now going to be run at the same time as the non-R's, would it be safe to say there may be additional allocations coming up to be offered out to the dealerships, based on the the sales performance of the individual dealerships? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. I do have a pre-order in; and, may be in line to get a 2019, "IF" and "ONLY IF" a second series of allocations are made available. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find a 2019 in a showroom, once they all start getting delivered to the dealers, or, maybe even find a 2018, that has not sold. I'm definitely wanting one at this stage of my life; and, it would not only be my keeper, it would be my daily driver! Jess
If you are looking for an R, the dealer has to have an allocation. The allocations have already been allocated. Very rarely do any extras come up. If you are not on a waitlist, better get on one. 19 will make fewer R's so I hear. I'd suggest calling around the country and finding an allocation that has not been spoken for. Start local and work your way out.

Don't think for a second that a dealer is just goi g to pull an R allocation out of nowhere at this point.

I may have a lead, but not enough info at this point.

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
1966 A code Fastback GT (wish I still had it), 2014 Explorer Sport, 2013 FLHTK Harley, 2019 GT350.
If you are looking for an R, the dealer has to have an allocation. The allocations have already been allocated. Very rarely do any extras come up. If you are not on a waitlist, better get on one. 19 will make fewer R's so I hear. I'd suggest calling around the country and finding an allocation that has not been spoken for. Start local and work your way out.

Don't think for a second that a dealer is just goi g to pull an R allocation out of nowhere at this point.

I may have a lead, but not enough info at this point.
Thanks for the info.

Jess

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Based on having owned a 2016, 2017 and still own a 2018 Base R model it has been my experience that significant R model allocations are provided early in the model year but in all previous 3 MY's there have been a second and third allocation of R models through out the year therefore don't give up on getting an R model. Some dealerships also get additional allocations very late into the production year and can tell you that I have received phone calls from numerous dealerships over the last few years asking me if I wanted another R model as they just got another R model allocation near the end of the production year.

During the 2016 and 2017 MY's Ford produced a total of 1468 R models and for anyone to suggest that all of those R models were all allocated upfront is incorrect with many of those 1468 cars being allocated throughout the model year and with many other cars being allocated right before the end of the production runs.

No one really knows what the 2019 MY will bring for R model production numbers but if there is still a strong demand for 2019 R's late into the MY there is a good chance that Ford will build additional R models based on a strong demand.

Bottom line is spend a lot of time and effort making phone calls and inquiries into an R model allocation and keep good records of who you spoke to and when. With this only being March I am confident that there will be more R model allocations going forward unless Ford does a complete turnaround from previous years.

Good luck with your journey!

:sunglasses:

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Based on having owned a 2016, 2017 and still own a 2018 Base R model it has been my experience that significant R model allocations are provided early in the model year but in all previous 3 MY's there have been a second and third allocation of R models through out the year therefore don't give up on getting an R model. Some dealerships also get additional allocations very late into the production year and can tell you that I have received phone calls from numerous dealerships over the last few years asking me if I wanted another R model as they just got another R model allocation near the end of the production year.
Harry, in the instance of advising a person interested in obtaining an R model, the picture you paint is more the rare exception than the norm. I tried searching for the 2019 production memo, but all I could find was the one for 2018. However the point I was going to make is pretty much universal. The memo describes the GT350R allocation process and methodology.

"dealers will generate 1 GT350R for every 2 GT350s earned".

"For any region that did not generate at least 2 base GT350R allocations, an adjustment was made to ensure that at a minimum the 2 top volume mustang dealers in region earn a GT350R allocation"

"Nation top 50 mustang SON allocation: Remaining GT350R allocation distributed based on share of Mustang sales among the top 50 Mustang dealers in the nation (sales based on prior 12-month total Mustang sales, July 2016-June 2017)".

Yes, it is true that sometimes dealers get additional allocations. At my dealership, they might get 1 extra allocation late in the year. This is a very large dealership and leads sales in the entire country. However, initial allocations are based upon the sales performance of the dealership as well as the amount of forecasted R's to be produced. If I was offering advice to someone who is looking for an R, I would not advise them to hold out for some last minute lucky break. In life, you make your own luck. I advised Jess, to start calling around and secure a bona fide allocation.

During the 2016 and 2017 MY's Ford produced a total of 1468 R models and for anyone to suggest that all of those R models were all allocated upfront is incorrect with many of those 1468 cars being allocated throughout the model year and with many other cars being allocated right before the end of the production runs.
I am suggesting that the vast majority of the R allocations are up front. My dealership typically gets 3 to 4 allocations and might get 1 additional as the year progresses. Again my advice to Jess is to find one now. Make sure that when placing a deposit for an R model that it is based upon an allocation and not a "maybe". There have been lots of stories here where dealers have taken deposits for R's that have no allocation.

No one really knows what the 2019 MY will bring for R model production numbers but if there is still a strong demand for 2019 R's late into the MY there is a good chance that Ford will build additional R models based on a strong demand.
This year, my dealership only got 2 R allocations. This is one of the top dealerships in the country. Only 2. Typically, they get 3 or 4 upfront. Rumor is that '19 is going to be a short model year. The statement is correct that it is not common public knowledge of how many R's Ford will produce for MY19. Again, my advice to Jess is to reach out and find an allocation by calling around and reaching out to the various dealerships throughout the country. Start local and work your way out.

Bottom line is spend a lot of time and effort making phone calls and inquiries into an R model allocation and keep good records of who you spoke to and when.
Agreed.

Jess, Harry is one of the most respected members here. His advice and knowledge is usally the gospel around here, however I would not wait and hope. If you want one of these R's, chances are you probably aren't going to find one sitting around on a showroom floor. Regular 350's? Sure, but not an R.

R production memo.jpg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You are looking for an R, right?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Tom, I certainly know the drill after doing this for many years and I don't disagree that Jess should be looking for an R model as we speak. If I lead him or anyone else to sit back and wait for an upcoming allocation in the near future that was certainly not my intent by any means as time is of the essence with these cars but I do want to point out that there is some hope going forward for future allocations at least based on my understanding at this time.

To suggest that all of the 2019 R model allocations are pretty much set in stone for the 2019MY with a slim chance of additional R allocations for the rest of this model year is something that I don't happen to agree with at this time unless Ford has come out with some sort of directive or communication recently to their dealerships indicating no more or very few allocations for the rest of this year at which time I would certainly stand corrected.

I can tell you that not all that long ago I was contacted by an individual who wanted a 2019 R after which time I made a call to a dealership that I know and they entered an order based on his color and options on his behalf with that order being accepted and the car is being built as we speak and delivery to take place sometime in April. No allocation for this dealership but the order went through and hopefully Jess may have the same luck with another dealership.

Bottom line is we both agree that Jess should proceed immediately with respect to doing his due diligence and hopefully not having to wait for a possible allocation to drop sometime in the near future.

Jess, good luck going forward and suggest that you send me a PM with your contact information after which time we can go from there as who knows what can happen within the next couple of weeks or months regarding these great cars.

:like::like:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, I certainly know the drill after doing this for many years and I don't disagree that Jess should be looking for an R model as we speak. If I lead him or anyone else to sit back and wait for an upcoming allocation in the near future that was certainly not my intent by any means as time is of the essence with these cars but I do want to point out that there is some hope going forward for future allocations at least based on my understanding at this time.

To suggest that all of the 2019 R model allocations are pretty much set in stone for the 2019MY with a slim chance of additional R allocations for the rest of this model year is something that I don't happen to agree with at this time unless Ford has come out with some sort of directive or communication recently to their dealerships indicating no more or very few allocations for the rest of this year at which time I would certainly stand corrected.

I can tell you that not all that long ago I was contacted by an individual who wanted a 2019 R after which time I made a call to a dealership that I know and they entered an order based on his color and options on his behalf with that order being accepted and the car is being built as we speak and delivery to take place sometime in April. No allocation for this dealership but the order went through and hopefully Jess may have the same luck with another dealership.

Bottom line is we both agree that Jess should proceed immediately with respect to doing his due diligence and hopefully not having to wait for a possible allocation to drop sometime in the near future.

Jess, good luck going forward and suggest that you send me a PM with your contact information after which time we can go from there as who knows what can happen within the next couple of weeks or months regarding these great cars.

Funny you mention it. I have a lead on a 19R in my area and another R (don't know the model year yet) in the Midwest. Although this healthy discussion may be pertinent to the majority of the community, somehow I don't recall if Jess was looking for an R. He's MIA, so I guess the point is moot.

Always a pleasure Harry. Its people like you that make this place better.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Funny you mention it. I have a lead on a 19R in my area and another R (don't know the model year yet) in the Midwest. Although this healthy discussion may be pertinent to the majority of the community, somehow I don't recall if Jess was looking for an R. He's MIA, so I guess the point is moot.

Always a pleasure Harry. Its people like you that make this place better.
Thanks Tom and always appreciate your insight, feedback and help through out each year as well!

Hopefully Jess will check in with one of us as I have a possible lead on another R model also.

If he is not looking for an R then so be it which will then hopefully allow another of our members to latch onto one of these great cars.

Based on my understanding this will be the last year for the R model as we know it therefore anyone who is sincerely looking for an R model should proceed accordingly.

Have a great Sunday young fellow!

jfrish7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R (KR499), 1997 Miata, 996 911
Hey Jesse,

Check Towne Ford in Redwood City. Kyle has an 18 Kona Blue for 500 under MSRP.

-Josh

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
You are looking for an R, right?
Actually, I was looking for a Non-R model. However, the information is still very relevant and I truly APPRECIATE all the input and advise. I AM actively seeking out a dealership with the hope they will receive another late allocation. I do have one place that took my pre-order and has promised me the allocation, if its given out to them. It sounds like I have a good chance of that happening and I am going to be hopeful about it. On the other hand, if that does not pan out, I will actively seek out a Non-R MY 2019 on a show room floor somewhere, ANYWHERE, across the country and will be ready to do what I need to do to get it, sometime between "now," when they start getting delivered to the dealerships, by this August. My final backup plan is if I am unable land a 2019 MY Non-R, I will find a 2018 MY Non-R, at a dealership, anywhere, because in looking now, there are QUITE a few still sitting and I believe it's because a lot of people are waiting for the 2019 Non-R's and R Models and waiting for the 2020 GT500. I am going to be VERY OPTIMISTIC about all this, but, rest assured, I will be ACTIVELY seeking the Non-R out on my end. Thank you again for all the feedback!!!!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Oh, ok. You should have no issues because regular 350s have become common. If I can help, let me know

nodonut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jesse,

Check Towne Ford in Redwood City. Kyle has an 18 Kona Blue for 500 under MSRP.

-Josh
Thanks, Josh.
Sponsored