KPM 2015 Mustang on dyno - 262kW

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
This morning I went to SA's KPM for another, more in-depth look at the Mustang. This is the same Comp Orange LHD car shown recently at Maughan Thiem Ford. GT with auto.

David had the car up on the hoist and took the wheels off and discussed some of the many modification options they will be offering. Things like german made cold coiled springs and rear Brembos to match our fronts and much, much more.

Then it went on the dyno. And it's worth keeping in mind this vehicle has done less than 300 miles.

First it was run with the Australian tune. Now I know when the power figures were initially released (US 324kW and Aus 303kW) it was put down to different ways of testing (SAE vs DIN), but David is sure the US has a different tune.

So 241.4 kW at the rear wheels is quite healthy and about in line with a claimed 303kW at the flywheel.

Now they uploaded the US tune and ran it again;

262.5kW with a sizeable increase torque (sorry too excited to get a pic!). David feels the US tune extracts about every pony from the engine as it is in stock form. More could be gained from the obvious inlet and exhaust modifications with another tune. From there they will be offering supercharging.

KPM currently manufacture the inlet manifold and other bits for Ford Aus for the supercharged XR8.

It was a great chance to have another sit in it and hear it fire up again. Seeing it this second time, I found the car seemed smaller than my first encounter, less intimidating. Looking forward to mine even more now.

Thanks to David and his team at KPM.

:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

geobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon XR8
Hi Oz,

Did Dave mention how he came about the Aus tune? Obviously the car is US spec so it would have the U.S. tune from factory but how did he get the Aus tune to test with?

George

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
No. When he started talking about the different power ratings for the US and Aus cars I was thinking about the SAE vs. DIN excuse by Ford but it wasn't appropriate to contradict him in the group environment we were in.

Then when they produced the results on the dyno in front of us I started thinking there was something in it especially as the numbers line up nicely with drivetrain losses and Ford's typical 'under quote and over deliver' policy on power figures.

It was interesting watching the dyno runs. First, in Aus tune, the car made 237 and then peaked at 241 before dropping back to 239.

Then in US spec it did four runs all about the 262 mark with little deviation.

The car had 98 RON and David said they did a dyno with the US delivery fuel and the figures were very similar.

We may have a Hot Weather / Extreme Environment / Lets Take No Chances With Those Crazy Aussies tune.

austang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Veloster Turbo
Does KPM have dyno sheets for a stock xr6 turbo, f6 and GT etc.. would be a good comparison. From memory the GT runs at 300rwkw stock.

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Will KPM be offering the US tune at all?

What 'extreme environment' do we really have that USA doesn't? If that really is Ford's rationale then it's a bit strange, considering there's a larger weather spread between a hot Californian Summer and a snowy winter. Plus, PP typically has a larger radiator so they should have this covered.

This 20kW difference in tunes is massive. I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Sponsored

austang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Veloster Turbo
Will KPM be offering the US tune at all?

What 'extreme environment' do we really have that USA doesn't? If that really is Ford's rationale then it's a bit strange, considering there's a larger weather spread between a hot Californian Summer and a snowy winter. Plus, PP typically has a larger radiator so they should have this covered.

This 20kW difference in tunes is massive. I can't help but feel a little disappointed.
If you want US tune then you might as well get a custom tune which is better. Keep in mind both will void your warranty

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Absolutely I got the impression KPM will be offering the US tune or any variation depending on what other mods you've made.

The 'extreme environment' comment was my speculation only, but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Didn't Audi or VW recently send us a detuned version for this reason?

When they did the power runs on the dyno, you could 'hear' the extra 20kW - seriously! Based on what I saw, this is something I would absolutely do before worrying about exhaust changes etc. Under the car you could see various changes in pipe diameter but I'm thinking flow in a NA car is much less critical than for turbos.

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Absolutely I got the impression KPM will be offering the US tune or any variation depending on what other mods you've made.

The 'extreme environment' comment was my speculation only, but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Didn't Audi or VW recently send us a detuned version for this reason?

When they did the power runs on the dyno, you could 'hear' the extra 20kW - seriously! Based on what I saw, this is something I would absolutely do before worrying about exhaust changes etc. Under the car you could see various changes in pipe diameter but I'm thinking flow in a NA car is much less critical than for turbos.
Yeah the new Golf R was missing about 20kW from the euro versions when it landed here. I just can't see why you would need to do this on an NA V8 though.

I think even the USA tune at a reasonable price could be taken up by some who are wanting the genuine thing, especially if it will be a daily only. For a track car, some more custom setups would be the way to go, but a 'stock+' arrangement could sell.

Do streetfighter offer any warranty at all?

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Yeah the new Golf R was missing about 20kW from the euro versions when it landed here. I just can't see why you would need to do this on an NA V8 though.

I think even the USA tune at a reasonable price could be taken up by some who are wanting the genuine thing, especially if it will be a daily only. For a track car, some more custom setups would be the way to go, but a 'stock+' arrangement could sell.

I see David has joined and posted this thread in 'our' section;

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28723

So I'm sure he'd be happy to answer these questions. I'd be interested to know too.

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang

Yes we offer an optional 3 Year Driveline warranty.
Sponsored