Key fob or something else?

S550-GT-Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So my car is freaking out. While driving I get a notice of no key detected. When I stop and shut off the car I get: use key or restart engine. If I don't restart the car I can't lock it. If I do restart the car I have to stand and wait for the lights to go off before I can lock it. I changed the key fob batteries twice but this continues with both fobs doing the same thing. The only thing i have done to the car is installing Diode Dynamics led rear running lights. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill
Sponsored

OP
OP

S550-GT-Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The car is 6 months old and since I am retired it only gets driven 2-3 times a week to the store. 1,500 miles and in the last 2 weeks I have changed the batteries twice. I took it by Ford and of course while it was there it acted completely normal. I have an appointment to go back on the 11th but I don't want to waste my time again. Bill

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you have the same problem with the 2nd fob? If not, then it's the #1 fob. If yes, then probably the receiver under the cup holders, or its antenna. Should be easy to replace. The better question is if that issue would throw a soft code, so check with FORScan, to know for sure. Good luck.

OP
OP

S550-GT-Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Do you have the same problem with the 2nd fob? If not, then it's the #1 fob. If yes, then probably the receiver under the cup holders, or its antenna. Should be easy to replace. The better question is if that issue would throw a soft code, so check with FORScan, to know for sure. Good luck.
It was both fobs. I took the diode dynamics lights out and put the factory ones back in and the issue is gone.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Are you talking about the rear fender red LED lights? I have those too, plus changed all incandescent bulbs for LEDs, and fob works perfectly. Or are you talking about aftermarket taillights? But at least your issue is gone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

S550-GT-Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Are you talking about the rear fender red LED lights? I have those too, plus changed all incandescent bulbs for LEDs, and fob works perfectly. Or are you talking about aftermarket taillights? But at least your issue is gone.
Yes, the fender LED lights. I thought maybe I had a bad pair so I got another set a week later and once again the car started acting crazy. I took the 2nd pair out and issue gone. I really liked them on my Magnetic Metallic car but this problem is just not worth it. Bill

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That sounds really weird man. Those rear fender parking lights are not even monitored, so it shouldn't matter if you have the stock incandescent bulbs or LEDs. Something not right somewhere with your wiring, I'd say. Plus the things are back out in the fenders, not anywhere near where the fob antenna is under the center console. But if removing them solves your issue, then good to hear.
Sponsored