MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Limited Edition 5.0L V-8
Good evening, I've had my 2015 50 year limited GT since it was new. Over the years I've tried various methods to keep water from going into the heat extractor vents on my hood with little success. I park her nose uphill, only wash by hand, I have stuffed all kinds of things in there from plastic bags, to microfiber cloths, taped over them, etc. To be honest, I'd love it if someone fabricated a solid rubber plug I could fit in there when washing...
I'm wondering if any of you have come up with a good solution for this?

20210601_184943.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
Just wondering, you never drive it in the rain?
😂 Actually I do not if I can help it. She's not my daily driver. I can't stand it when she gets dirty, so she's my weekend warrior, (when it's above 55 and dry). She's also a car I plan to keep, forever, so I'm trying not to kill her with mileage.

OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
3" wide blue painters tape. Tape completely over before wash, remove afterwards
Thanks, I've tried that (with more success than anything else). Usually the tape winds up getting soapy and comes off before I'm done. I'll give it a try again. I appreciate your help! 👍

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Obviously, I don't get it but aside from those who are really pushing the envelope with the vehicle, why many remove the train tray permanently is beyond me and no offense intended.

"Rain tray" is somewhat of a joke IMO. Even with thumbscrews or magnets, with the hood open, the motor would get soaked anyway.

On the cooling side, there aren't too many locations where it's as hot as it is in South Texas but my temps never budge from normal.

Consequently, I leave the tray in and only get a small amount of water on the engine and in the bay after a wash. The Master Blaster blower makes short work of that.

I suppose that seeing the engine and blower through the back side of the vent has some value but not enough for me to deal with carrying the dang tray around in the trunk. :-)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The idea is not to get water in the engine bay.......... yes ?

How about just throwing a couple of towels (bathroom type) on the motor under the hood beneath the extractors ?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It's never been an issue. I drive my car in every weather condition.
This.

I have an aftermarket hood on my Stang with much wider vents. My car has seen soap, sun, rain, snow, ice, hail (it was a surprise :( hail storm), you name it. And the Stang is completely fine after all of this. I never understood not wanting to drive in the rain. It's a free carwash after all. :giggle:

I wouldn't worry about soap or water getting through the heat extractors. Just detail the engine bay after you wash the body if it is that big of a deal.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
Obviously, I don't get it but aside from those who are really pushing the envelope with the vehicle, why many remove the train tray permanently is beyond me and no offense intended.

"Rain tray" is somewhat of a joke IMO. Even with thumbscrews or magnets, with the hood open, the motor would get soaked anyway.

On the cooling side, there aren't too many locations where it's as hot as it is in South Texas but my temps never budge from normal.

Consequently, I leave the tray in and only get a small amount of water on the engine and in the bay after a wash. The Master Blaster blower makes short work of that.

I suppose that seeing the engine and blower through the back side of the vent has some value but not enough for me to deal with carrying the dang tray around in the trunk. :-)
Thanks, the problem is though I don't actually have a rain tray under mine, it still has the open design it came with... The vents in mine face the backwards, towards the windshield. (Since there are many that are different, here's a few photos to help clarify what my vents look like with and without the OEM hoodliner that I had to replace).

Screenshot_20210903-095412_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210903-094802_Gmail.jpg
Screenshot_20210903-095512_Photos.jpg

Please excuse the water spots on the vent exterior... they were taken before I finished cleaning it up...
The problem doesn't occur so much when driving, only water from behind, when it runs down the hood... mostly when washing it (or on the rare ocassion it's parked at a show and a heavy rain runs down the windshield onto the hood). The water (& soap) comes in thru the vents, then runs up under the hoodliner.
My OEM liner started showing signs of water and soap, (fading & fuzzing) the first year I had her. That's when I started pointing her nose uphill when washing to no avail.

Ultimately I replaced her hoodliner with a new, OEM liner which I had custom airbrushed. When the artist did the painting I asked him to coat the underside too, specifically around the vents, with some high heat dulpicolor to protect it better.

That said, I'm looking to find a way to protect it even more so it doesn't reoccur. I have tried stuffing microfiber towels in there, they simply get soaked 🙄 tried microfiber towels, wrapped in plastic bags, and then taping over the vents... still wet.
I do use my blower to try to dry underneath the hoodliner but If rather it not get wet to begin with. 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
Towels would definitely work and I can say that from personal experience. Anyone remember Gunther Vent? :-) We don't need no stinkin' vent.

1630587862869.png
Thanks, I'll try again with more, (or bigger) towels 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
The idea is not to get water in the engine bay.......... yes ?

How about just throwing a couple of towels (bathroom type) on the motor under the hood beneath the extractors ?
Actually, my concern is the water that gets under the hoodliner, (between the hood and it's liner). Water on the engine doesn't bother me so much, because I'm gonna clean that anyway. Thanks for asking, I should've been more clear about that.

OP
OP
MandM9999

MandM9999

Mustang Lady 322
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcy
Vehicle(s)
This.

I have an aftermarket hood on my Stang with much wider vents. My car has seen soap, sun, rain, snow, ice, hail (it was a surprise :( hail storm), you name it. And the Stang is completely fine after all of this. I never understood not wanting to drive in the rain. It's a free carwash after all. :giggle:

I wouldn't worry about soap or water getting through the heat extractors. Just detail the engine bay after you wash the body if it is that big of a deal.
I hear ya, thanks. Just a personal preference to keep her dry.
Don't get me wrong, I've been caught in the rain at car shows out of town... I just try to avoid it to keep water spots from etching her paint 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Ebm

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
IMG_20210818_100401176.jpg

I tape up mine to wash it. Doesn't get driven in the rain.
Sponsored