Sponsored

Just Ordered a Tune!!

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I went with a DS I2020 tuner and for now am using the canned 93 octane tune. That alone made a huge difference in the feel of the car. A custom tune will give slightly more than a canned tune and should make for a pleasant feel and noticeable difference. I'm looking forward to seeing his impressions of the tune!! I'll be getting a custom tune once I get deeper into mods.
Sponsored

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
In 90% of cases yes. When you take your car in for service they will hook it up to a computer and the first thing they will see is if the ecu programming has been altered. They can then blame any problems on the tune. There is a gray area with the Roush tune if you have it installed by a certified Roush dealer, as in most cases your warranty will still be honored though there is no guarantee. They offer warranties you can buy too.

Just expect to say goodbye to your original warranty when you start modding. These engines are monsters though--taking them in for service should be rare.
Unfortunately I've heard more than one story where ford denied warranty due to tunes. Then Its on you to prove that the tune didn't cause said issue. It just sucks that Ford isn't tune friendly like some other manufacturers.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
If you want to see tune unfriendliness in a big way, put one on a diesel pickup and pop a motor or transmission. Tunes on those make WAY WAY more difference than on just about any cars. 300 ft/lb GAINS at the tires are not terribly uncommon if you really put the screws to it...with just a tune. People who have not fought to get something fixed that a dealer doesn't want to because of modifications often recite the Moss Magnuson act. This is where theory and reality diverge. Theory has people picturing themselves cleverly shooting down the manufacturer that's trying to prove their tune or blower or whatever caused the ring gear to strip, and getting the fix for free. Reality has them discovering that sure, they can try to fight it, but that the manufacturer has way more money for lawyers, and lots more technical knowledge about the car in question to bamboozle the judge or arbitrator, and hey, after all, YOU'RE the poor sonofabitch without your car while all this is going on, and you'd just like to get back to living your life. Guess what happens then? Yep-reality 1, theory 0. So, my personal advice it to assume that you have just become your own warranty station if you put an aftermarket tune into your ecm.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
These engines are very stout from everything I've seen so far with power adders WAAY more than a tune will provide having no issues so I doubt very much anything will break with just a tune. Having said that, I'm waiting for the Ford tune regardless as they know the ECU better than anyone else.

I do agree with you on the reality vs theory 100% though.

Sponsored

sicks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have full bolt ons with a 93 tune and suspension mods and I took my car in for a wheel speed sensor going out. The tech came to see me and said everything is covered and it was a blast to drive. All depends what dealership you take it to and your ability to strike a friendship. Once you find that dealer always go back, they're not all stealerships.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Yes, they are indeed stout. When I had an ecoboost, it was tuned before it hit 800 miles.

atekido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
These engines are very stout from everything I've seen so far with power adders WAAY more than a tune will provide having no issues so I doubt very much anything will break with just a tune. Having said that, I'm waiting for the Ford tune regardless as they know the ECU better than anyone else.

I do agree with you on the reality vs theory 100% though.

A bad Tune will harm an engine a lot quicker than say adding 200 hp from other mods ect. its not the power that does the harm its wrong air to fuel ratios, wrong line pressure, removing to much tq management that is there to make sure the tranny lasts. so on and so forth. There is literally no quicker way to ruin an engine than with a bad tune. Power being made is irrelevant in this respect.

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Yes and No. The dealer would have to prove that the part failed because of the tune.
More like they just refuse to fix what failed because of the tune, then you need to prove that the tune did not cause it.
Sponsored