Just another reminder to watch your dealerships

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
This has been stated before but I will repeat it.

The 18GT calls for 10qts of oil.

Here is where things go wrong:
1) The Tech puts in 8qts because the moron who failed rocket science doesn't know the difference between a 17 and 18.
2) You double check it sure, but you double check it when hot. The 18 owners manual says to warm it to normal operating temps and then let it cool for 15 minutes. When checking it hot it looks full but if you had bothered to read your owners manual you would see that after 15 minutes your level is below the bottom line. (The difference as explained by the owners manual is that the 15 minutes allows the oil to drain into the pan better so you aren't picking up oil that is still draining and mis-reading it as the accurate level).
3) You never saw a warning light: This is because the pick up tube is still below the oil line in an 18 that has only 8qts. From what i can tell, even sloshing it sideways with hard cornering wont be enough to cause an oil pressure warning and during cold months with regular driving, you are not going to see an engine temp warning either. (In fact the only warning light the car has ever had was some weird glitch it sent to my ford pass while parked that came up on my cell phone one day while parked in a resturantt parking lot as i was having lunch, after a failed auto start about 2 days after i bought it)

At this point zero damage has occurred as the pick up tube never sucked air and your engine temps never budged beyond half way. As the oil got hotter, it expanded into the safe zone (barely) anyway (if you were just below the fill line like i was).

However, if this continues into warmer months and you are on a trip and haven't checked your oil...the least bit of oil consumption drops you to a level below the pick up tube, which sucks air and tanks the oil pressure sending off warning lights and panic about damage. This is the WTF moment for some poor guy who had everything done at the dealership and even thought he had checked his dip stick a few times and now this..

Happy to say the poor guy above isn't me, as i caught the issue. Sure enough in the fine print (ill admit i can't see very well without my reading glasses) it clearly says right on the service sheet 8qts. I had checked my car when hot and saw full several times. Doing the proper procedure and giving it the 15 minutes of drain time, sure enough, i was below the bottom line on the dip stick (though just barely). When I drive i usually put the engine temp oil pressure and oil temps on rotation through my gauge display rotations and not once did the car ever reach temps above exactly mid point in the green (straight up), except when i had about 1,000 miles on it and was engine braking down a mountain and it got to maybe 7/10th heated for a few minutes.. This was of course before the first oil change (which I did at 3700 miles) but i had also made the same mistake of checking when hot even then (hope it came with 10qts from the factory, ill never know since i didn't follow the proper procedure for checking.) Anyway, warmer weather is already coming and i plan on flogging the car so i put in 2qts of 5w 30 Full synthetic so i guess i am running something like 5w 22 at the moment.

Don't be like me, read the manual and check your service records closer.

And for dam sure don't be the hypothetical guy above.....

So now for my question.....exactly how much hell should i raise at the dealerhsip Monday? Exactly what should i ask for as compensation (from zero at the nice end to some free oil changes in the middle area to an extended engine warranty on the extreme). Since the 18's pick up still works at 8qts and since i don't seem to be burning any oil and didn't ever have pressure problems or warning lights, i doubt the extreme end is reasonable.

Curious to see what you guys think.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fleco17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josr
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
I got the opposite. I was in Mobile, Al visiting and getting my oil changed, when I looked at the bill, it showed 10 quarts of oil. I immediately notified the service manager that I have a 17, not a 18. Well they drained out 2 quarts and refunded my money. I'm glad I looked at the bill.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
I got the opposite. I was in Mobile, Al visiting and getting my oil changed, when I looked at the bill, it showed 10 quarts of oil. I immediately notified the service manager that I have a 17, not a 18. Well they drained out 2 quarts and refunded my money. I'm glad I looked at the bill.
Yea no shat.

Seems like we all are going to need to do a post service inspection EVERY TIME....which honestly we should all do anyway but this is ridiculous. The main reason i didn't pay much attention was that the 18s have been out so long the 19s are now out and this just happened a couple weeks ago...i had mistakenly assumed this was only problem from May of 2017 unitl about fall of 2018 and surely by then dealerhips would be up to date...

But damm.....how far behind are the dealerships in getting their systems which speck the jobs up to date in house? We are at 18 months now.... WTF??

I actually drove it around for 1,300 miles 2 quarts low in cold weather, mostly on the highway. (most of it was a single trip to Orlando and back within a few days).

Still wondering how much hell i should raise monday.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Reinforcement for why I do all my own work. It gets stronger every week/month/year.

TYGT350

Nope, not a GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue Mustang GT PP
Been doing my own oil changes before the 18 was even released. I'm glad I made that decision. I won't have to deal with the incompetence

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I believe remaining calm is the best attitude to address these problems. I had my dealership forget to use my oil "In the boot" or trunk. So now if I use the service dept. I leave the oil & filter in the front seat area of the floor. Most service shops won't use your oil, but my dealership will. I bought two jack stands and am looking for a "low profile" jack I like.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
As stated above, approach the Service Manager with your well thought out case as you stated here and see what reaction you get. If not offered satisfaction, then pressure them for some free oil changes.

Seems like it's necessary to manage the process with everything and anything that we have done by others, whether it's a mechanic, contractor, doctor (Nurses save lives!), etc.

I do my best to keep in mind a quote from Marine Sniper Carlos Hathcock, "Pay attention to detail". Easier said than done sometimes!

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I believe remaining calm is the best attitude to address these problems. I had my dealership forget to use my oil "In the boot" or trunk. So now if I use the service dept. I leave the oil & filter in the front seat area of the floor. Most service shops won't use your oil, but my dealership will. I bought two jack stands and am looking for a "low profile" jack I like.
have you observed them putting your oil in?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I believe remaining calm is the best attitude to address these problems.
Too close to "if its unavoidable, might as well try to enjoy it" for my thinking. LoL

I had my dealership forget to use my oil "In the boot" or trunk. So now if I use the service dept. I leave the oil & filter in the front seat area of the floor.
Glad it works. I'd wager there is a dealer somewhere that wouldn't realize you wanted them to use your oil if you installed a locking filler cap and told them the key was UNDER the bottles of oil in the box you hand them.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Reinforcement for why I do all my own work. It gets stronger every week/month/year.
Same, I wouldn't even take my car to the dealer for warranty work. I would trust my 5 year old neice to follow my directions as my helper better than the dealership monkeys.

If your a good mechanic and work for the dealer sorry about your luck but your colleagues have tarnished the dealerships quality of work and customer perception for myself and many others.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
At a dealer I been using for service, 8qt actually comes up on the print out by the service dept, than I see a note saying customer requests 10qts,... Something is off here...

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Been doing my own oil changes before the 18 was even released. I'm glad I made that decision. I won't have to deal with the incompetence
Last 2 oil changes I did.. I think 6 qts ended up i the street, cheap oil pan I bought, the oil couldnt drain fast enough into it and it overflowed. lol

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now

This!^^ After Lithia Ford dropped 2 wheels face down during a oil chance and rotation when I had snow tires on my 2016 they managed to scuff 2 wheels and put them on wrong even. NOKIANs go front to back not crisscross they are directional tires..

Idiots.

Bought my 2018 from a different dealer in Fargo ND and refused the service package.

I swing a wrench for a living so its nice not working on my own stuff but its simply not worth banking on someone elses brains anymore!!!

Ill do the work myself unless its warranty work!!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
This has been stated before but I will repeat it.

The 18GT calls for 10qts of oil.

Here is where things go wrong:
1) The Tech puts in 8qts because the moron who failed rocket science doesn't know the difference between a 17 and 18.
2) You double check it sure, but you double check it when hot. The 18 owners manual says to warm it to normal operating temps and then let it cool for 15 minutes. When checking it hot it looks full but if you had bothered to read your owners manual you would see that after 15 minutes your level is below the bottom line. (The difference as explained by the owners manual is that the 15 minutes allows the oil to drain into the pan better so you aren't picking up oil that is still draining and mis-reading it as the accurate level).
3) You never saw a warning light: This is because the pick up tube is still below the oil line in an 18 that has only 8qts. From what i can tell, even sloshing it sideways with hard cornering wont be enough to cause an oil pressure warning and during cold months with regular driving, you are not going to see an engine temp warning either. (In fact the only warning light the car has ever had was some weird glitch it sent to my ford pass while parked that came up on my cell phone one day while parked in a resturantt parking lot as i was having lunch, after a failed auto start about 2 days after i bought it)

At this point zero damage has occurred as the pick up tube never sucked air and your engine temps never budged beyond half way. As the oil got hotter, it expanded into the safe zone (barely) anyway (if you were just below the fill line like i was).

However, if this continues into warmer months and you are on a trip and haven't checked your oil...the least bit of oil consumption drops you to a level below the pick up tube, which sucks air and tanks the oil pressure sending off warning lights and panic about damage. This is the WTF moment for some poor guy who had everything done at the dealership and even thought he had checked his dip stick a few times and now this..

Happy to say the poor guy above isn't me, as i caught the issue. Sure enough in the fine print (ill admit i can't see very well without my reading glasses) it clearly says right on the service sheet 8qts. I had checked my car when hot and saw full several times. Doing the proper procedure and giving it the 15 minutes of drain time, sure enough, i was below the bottom line on the dip stick (though just barely). When I drive i usually put the engine temp oil pressure and oil temps on rotation through my gauge display rotations and not once did the car ever reach temps above exactly mid point in the green (straight up), except when i had about 1,000 miles on it and was engine braking down a mountain and it got to maybe 7/10th heated for a few minutes.. This was of course before the first oil change (which I did at 3700 miles) but i had also made the same mistake of checking when hot even then (hope it came with 10qts from the factory, ill never know since i didn't follow the proper procedure for checking.) Anyway, warmer weather is already coming and i plan on flogging the car so i put in 2qts of 5w 30 Full synthetic so i guess i am running something like 5w 22 at the moment.

Don't be like me, read the manual and check your service records closer.

And for dam sure don't be the hypothetical guy above.....

So now for my question.....exactly how much hell should i raise at the dealerhsip Monday? Exactly what should i ask for as compensation (from zero at the nice end to some free oil changes in the middle area to an extended engine warranty on the extreme). Since the 18's pick up still works at 8qts and since i don't seem to be burning any oil and didn't ever have pressure problems or warning lights, i doubt the extreme end is reasonable.

Curious to see what you guys think.
They did this to me at Jones Ford in Charleston. I politely left a message on their voicemail, and they ignored me. After that, I left a bad review when I received their survey. That prompted the manager to email me and half apologize, while stating they trained all the techs on this issue due to my complaint. He offered me "the works" service for free when I needed another oil change. I emailed him back stating why I gave the bad review and asked him if they would give me some sort of guarantee that I wouldn't be shorted oil again. He never replied. I won't likely go back to them, even for a free oil change. I later found that they lost one of my battery cover fasteners and left another one loose. The only reason I went there at all, was because I had a year of free service with the purchase. Lesson learned. At least I have documentation of them shorting the oil by 2 quarts. May come in handy, as my 2000rpm rattle got worse after the crappy oil change.

Ask yourself if you really want these people touching your car again...

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yea no shat.

Seems like we all are going to need to do a post service inspection EVERY TIME....which honestly we should all do anyway but this is ridiculous. The main reason i didn't pay much attention was that the 18s have been out so long the 19s are now out and this just happened a couple weeks ago...i had mistakenly assumed this was only problem from May of 2017 unitl about fall of 2018 and surely by then dealerhips would be up to date...

But damm.....how far behind are the dealerships in getting their systems which speck the jobs up to date in house? We are at 18 months now.... WTF??

I actually drove it around for 1,300 miles 2 quarts low in cold weather, mostly on the highway. (most of it was a single trip to Orlando and back within a few days).

Still wondering how much hell i should raise monday.
Their systems are up to date. However, the techs don't seem to be looking it up by VIN. My guess is that they have done so many gen 2 coyotes that they just assume they know the right oil and quantity. My dealer said the issue was that the tech didn't use the VIN.
Sponsored