Sponsored

Join Us Live on Dec 5th for the 2015 Mustang Debut & Give Us Your Questions for Ford

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Are they trying to make this a 'secretary's car' again? I get the feeling no one but bored housewives watch GMA. Reveal a sedan there sure but a pony/muscle car? I don't see that crowd being the demographic that would be interested in the Mustang.
Funny response...we will see.
Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
One reason I bought my 2010 GT, knowing the 5.0L was likely to come out the next model year, was that I wanted a daily driver with a powertrain that was proven.

I am contemplating a 2015 GT with the same thinking in mind. By now, the current 5.0L configuration has been in production for 4 years, so the likelihood of running into problems for a daily driver is reduced.

I recognize that you could apply this thinking to anything else about the car and easily refute it for other reasons. Any power bump that includes direct injection comes with a complexity factor, and I prefer to wait to see what happens. I already think 420-430hp is fairly stout for a car that I would use as my transportation :)

I also like the ring of "2015" when I refer to the model year - 50 years from the year of my birth (yikes, that's old).
I don't think there will as big a bump from the 5.0 to the DI 5.0 as there was from the 4.6 to the 5.0. But it still could be 70 to 80 HP which is big. I hear you on the complexity factor as well. Also if Ford incorporates cylinder deactivation with the DI 5.0 I really want no part of it. (Not sure if they will or not though) There would be that side benefit then for me.

Regardless, I don't want to make it sound like I'm hung up on the HP numbers (although I may be a little) but more on the performance numbers. If the new GT can best the outgoing GT by .1 or even .2 sec in 0-60 and the same .1 to .2 decrease in the quarter mile time with superior handling of the IRS I'm going to be VERY happy. It comes to a point if a future GT would get 500 HP it is going to have some FAT rubber on the rear to take advantage of it.

Speaking of that, I sure hope we get to find out what type of wheel/tire setup the GT will have. Staggered? 275 width tire out back? Hope we find out. :)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I agree somewhat. I tend to buy cars at the end of their cycle for similar reasons. I won't buy the 15 because I know the major hp bump comes when the competitor's cars are released. Ford luckily didn't have many issues with the Coyote 5.0 (some tuners toasted the #8 piston) but that is long gone. Now the mt-82 tranny is diff story.....I hope Ford improves it or go with the TR.
I hope they improve it as well for the manual owners. I'm an auto guy so I probably won't have to worry. I like the consistency at the dragstrip that I visit on occasion and it will be a DD with a lot of stop/go duty as well. Hope they improve it for you manual guys.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
"So what can you expect? You’ll enjoy amazing technology, bold styling, and a smart interior that will also be attractive and comfortable. If you thought the ’10 offered a nice upgrade over the ’09, the ’15 will blow you away. Expect the best-handling Mustang ever, with a V-8 that sounds great, revs high, and smokes the Challenger and Camaro easily."

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
Quote:
"So what can you expect? You’ll enjoy amazing technology, bold styling, and a smart interior that will also be attractive and comfortable. If you thought the ’10 offered a nice upgrade over the ’09, the ’15 will blow you away. Expect the best-handling Mustang ever, with a V-8 that sounds great, revs high, and smokes the Challenger and Camaro easily."
Interesting ! That would be brilliant if that were the case. Wonder how much of this is from first person experience, his speculation or his laughing Ford source?

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Interesting ! That would be brilliant if that were the case. Wonder how much of this is from first person experience, his speculation or his laughing Ford source?
Hehe..the current GT already smokes the SS and RT challenger EASILY.

FastbackFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mustang yet
In addition to the other member who asked when the new mustang will be available in Germany, I would like to know which engines will be available there and how much they will cost.

I don't believe that the 5 Litre Coyote will get 500HP at any point in this decade, that would be 100HP per litre - a value that actually only high performance engines reach at high revolution, I doubt that the coyote was designed as such, despite the DOHC layout. The only way to get 500+HP out of that would be by putting a turbo/supercharger on it or by increasing its displacement.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
In addition to the other member who asked when the new mustang will be available in Germany, I would like to know which engines will be available there and how much they will cost.

I don't believe that the 5 Litre Coyote will get 500HP at any point in this decade, that would be 100HP per litre - a value that actually only high performance engines reach at high revolution, I doubt that the coyote was designed as such, despite the DOHC layout. The only way to get 500+HP out of that would be by putting a turbo/supercharger on it or by increasing its displacement.
Ford already has a 500 Hp (plus) N/A 5.0 Coyote (i.e. achieved with No turbo/supercharger) - 5.0L ALUMINATOR XS with two yrs W/tee

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I doubt the 15 will get that big of a bump
Aluminator is, I believe, a non street legal engine
but we could see alot of what is on that engine but more streetable with
acceptable and approvable fuel economy for our Federal friends ;)

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I doubt the 15 will get that big of a bump
Aluminator is, I believe, a non street legal engine
but we could see alot of what is on that engine but more streetable with
acceptable and approvable fuel economy for our Federal friends ;)
I doubt it does at well. The 430 number is probably close as that is what was leaked in the survey. I think a few of us are speculating on the '16 model year and if the DI 5.0 will get a modest bump.

As I said though. I'd be fine with the same 420 HP number if the 15 GT bested the 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom and braking distances of the 14 GT. I would assume it would being lighter, having IRS and being more nimble. If the 15 GT could match the performance of the Boss302's then I would be VERY happy. :)

Sponsored

FastbackFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not Mustang yet
Ford already has a 500 Hp (plus) N/A 5.0 Coyote (i.e. achieved with No turbo/supercharger) - 5.0L ALUMINATOR XS with two yrs W/tee

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=23300
I am not an engineer, but these modifications sound quite extensive and - above all - expensive, making this a kind of race engine. I don't think Ford would offer such an elaborate engine in a 'run of the mill' GT, maybe that could be something for a BOSS successor (in a cut-down, street legal version).

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
I have a question for the Ford execs. Are there plans to promote the new Mustang in any upcoming movies or tv shows?

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
Ford looks at this more as a business than emotion
and the changes have to be economical and efficient
otherwise they should jus pack it up.