Sponsored

Jacking rails - how do they fair under use or abuse

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ok, so upon cruising around this site I've seen images of S550's with jacking rails; we know what they are, what purpose they serve, the availability from multiple vendors and price points. No need to discuss these aspects.

The Big Question:
Are available versions able to be used WITHOUT the jacking rail tubing being dented or crushed inward after multiple uses (or abuse) with a floor jack?

Sure, maybe it's a really stupid question for some.... Yes, many folks are careful with their floor jacks (padded or not), yes there are garage queen bees that get the special love treatment... but for those who jack by the rails in a "who cares" environment (such as at a track event) and where precision alignment of a floor jack to the rails is not thought about 'in the moment', the question is genuine.

Besides protecting the pinch welds, isn't the main purpose and design of a jacking rail tubing to withstand any type of abuse, regardless of how a user applies the floor jack - or say on cars that are lowered and may experience possible jack rail contact to speed bump/driveway angle hits?

The question is being asked after seeing pics of a set where the length of the box tubing was dented and caved inward near the ends:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61206
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I bottomed out my Steeda jacking rails almost daily for approximately 3 months until I went with taller springs because I was started to damage the concrete, haha. My car will bottom out on a very steep decline I have to get into my parking garage when I'm on 19" wheels, and that is precisely why I have the jacking rails - to protect the pinch welds and mid-mount muffler.

You cannot tell at all standing next to the car that I have abused them so.

I also do not bother using a rubber condom for my jack. Jack goes under the car, I line it up, car goes up. I'm not babying a piece of metal I added on to be able to abuse.

The dents in those photos would take some work to do - probably bottomed out relatively hard on something - and I'd rather the rails take it than my car.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Mine dented the first time I used them just like the pic. I still would buy again. Made jacking on car so much easier. Until now. 4 post lift is up!:headbang:
Sponsored