Sponsored

Is this scratch on the rear shock a concern?

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Just bought the Ford Performance Track Strut and Shock kit. Installed them this weekend, was trimming the bump stop and noticed this TINY scratch

I really don't want to send them back but I will. I've always read that scratches and burs are bad; this appears to be the coating on the tube that has come off. Any thoughts, should I be concerned? It still feels smooth to the touch but I CAN feel it

20200908_180103.jpg

20200908_180039.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'd be uneasy about it either damaging the shaft seal directly or allowing seepage even with seals that are still good. Depending on whether the scratch has a raised edge or not.

Norm

OP
OP
Meat coyote racing

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I'd be uneasy about it either damaging the shaft seal directly or allowing seepage even with seals that are still good. Depending on whether the scratch has a raised edge or not.

Norm
I appreciate the feedback. It doesn't feel like there is a raised edge; however, I can definitely notice it when I run my finger over it. I guess I'm just going to drive with it and periodically check the shock for any weepage or leakage or any other changes with it. Its so frustrating, I know I installed everything with delicate hands.

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
How deep is it? Hard to tell in pics.
Is it something that may be able to buffed our smooth if there is an edge?

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
I appreciate the feedback. It doesn't feel like there is a raised edge; however, I can definitely notice it when I run my finger over it. I guess I'm just going to drive with it and periodically check the shock for any weepage or leakage or any other changes with it. Its so frustrating, I know I installed everything with delicate hands.
If it was bigger scratch I would be concerned. I doubt that will damage a seal considering how small the blemish is. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Meat coyote racing

Meat coyote racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
How deep is it? Hard to tell in pics.
Is it something that may be able to buffed our smooth if there is an edge?
Its not deep. It almost seems like its the coating that's came off. The scratch is so shallow I would compare it to the width of a human hair.

I thought about trying to smooth it out or buff it but I'm concerned I would only make it worse.

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Leave it alone and just monitor the shock should be OK
Sponsored