Is my low serial # a big deal ?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Where around here did you get that car for invoice price?
The further you get away from Chicago proper, the more willing some dealers are to deal. Not in all cases though. I bought my Shadow Black from Haggerty in West Chicago. When they got the car in June of last year, they had an ADM of 10k over. After the car sat a couple of months on the showroom floor, they moved it to a dark corner in the back of the shop. Buy August they had dropped the ADM to 2k over.
I was selling them my ScatPac via Bluebook at the end of August when I found out they had the Shelby in the back. When I looked at it, it was covered in dust. I told them that if they would clean the car and pull it out in the sun for me to look at we may do a deal. They did, and the car passed muster. I told them I'd be a buyer at sticker, but no higher. The salesman checked with his boss and came right back and shook my hand. The rapidity with which he returned made me think I should've thrown out a lower offer than I did. But I'm content with what I paid.
There's dealers in the Northern Illinois area still sitting on R's from 2017 with 20k ADM's. I guess they don't mind paying the monthly interest.
Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Is owning #J0004 a big deal ? - or just a cool factoid ...

The simple answer is no, it is not important generally. However, if it is important to you, or your eventual potential car buyer, then it IS important. For most it is just a curiosity.

I may be reaching here , but maybe the assembly line pays extra special attention to tolerances , build processes , etc , so they can calibrate accordingly ?

No, same line and same people. My 17R sat at FR for 9 weeks because they lost the dash chassis number plaque. This doesn't seem like a hard problem, but......9 weeks..really? They did ultimately give it its correct, originally assigned number. I feared "losing my place in the queue" and getting a newer, higher number. (So I guess it was important to me :D )

These cars are very special, but come from the same line/people as the $25K versions do. Love mine totally and am still blown away when I drive it. I hope you enjoy your ride. FWIW :cheers:

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
The further you get away from Chicago proper, the more willing some dealers are to deal. Not in all cases though. I bought my Shadow Black from Haggerty in West Chicago. When they got the car in June of last year, they had an ADM of 10k over. After the car sat a couple of months on the showroom floor, they moved it to a dark corner in the back of the shop. Buy August they had dropped the ADM to 2k over.
I was selling them my ScatPac via Bluebook at the end of August when I found out they had the Shelby in the back. When I looked at it, it was covered in dust. I told them that if they would clean the car and pull it out in the sun for me to look at we may do a deal. They did, and the car passed muster. I told them I'd be a buyer at sticker, but no higher. The salesman checked with his boss and came right back and shook my hand. The rapidity with which he returned made me think I should've thrown out a lower offer than I did. But I'm content with what I paid.
There's dealers in the Northern Illinois area still sitting on R's from 2017 with 20k ADM's. I guess they don't mind paying the monthly interest.
I sold my 08 GT to Haggerty via Bluebook. Looks like I should've waited one more winter and gotten a 350. Lord knows with the money spent on mods for my GT already I could've gotten one.

1Bad_ShelbyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350R
Fellow enthusiasts ! ,

Is owning #J0004 a big deal ? - or just a cool factoid ...

I was talking to a guy at Ford Performance and he said my GT350 #J0004 could be the first stripeless Shadow Black off the line for 2018 , built 9/27/17. ( they can’t say for sure until the stats are compiled at the end of this year production ) . I think it’s cool , and I haven’t seen such a low number on this forum , for R’s or non-R’s , of any GT350 model year .

I noticed that low number on the dash as soon as I came upon the car on the showroom floor . The dealer didn’t say anything about it - I don’t think they knew - and luckily this one was exactly what I wanted , even with the Convenience package ! Plus , no dents , dings , scratches , great body panel fitment . I signed the papers at invoice in January . Traded my 2010 Vette Grand Sport and I couldn’t be happier .

I know most of these low serial numbers are reserved as press cars or Ford top brass personal vehicles . Even the Ford Performance guy sounded pretty shocked.

What do you guys think ? Does it make my car more valuable to a collector or is it just a number on a dash plaque ?

This forum rocks ....
RushFan:headbang:
Regardless if it’s worth more or less, just looking at such a low number

Is cool to have............congratulations !!!......... :cheers:

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
To me this is like the Base R owners feeling like they have something special... I believe it's in the eyes of the beholder. To some it's awesome, for others no big deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RushFan

RushFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Regardless if it’s worth more or less, just looking at such a low number

Is cool to have............congratulations !!!......... :cheers:
Thanks for the kind words ! It’s actually still kind of odd to see such a low number , after three months of ownership . Most people won’t even notice . But I do find myself looking at other people’s dash plaques now .

Best ,
RushFan :headbang: