Sponsored

Is it too early to start thinking about the MY17 mustang?

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
So, me personally, I'm not terribly excited about the 2016 Mustang seeing as the only real departure is Sync 3. With the Camaro upping the ante, what do you guys expect?

My thoughts:
-Revised Coyote: around 450 horsepower horsepower, 410-420 pound feet of torque. A new engine is possible, but I don't think it's going to happen at this point.

-Stiffer and more aggressive Performance Package set up. Mustang's performance package has been said to be a little soft for the track, so I could see a retooled PP / track pack as a possibility.

-Potential minor sheet metal refresh: don't think this one is too likely, but there could be some minor touches, maybe something trickling down from the GT350 (wheel vents for brakes).

-Brand new Ecoboost v6: some kind of updated v6 is something I could really see happening. Around 375 hp / torque would be my guess.

This is purely just my own thoughts and opinions, what do you guys think? I think the 17MY is going to be the first major change in the S550 platform.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
no. two years is not enough for a refresh. people started talking about the 16s second the 15s were released...now we gonna talk about 17s in 2015 when 16's are still half a year away

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I don't foresee anything major but you never know.

Bump in HP for sure
Maybe some revisions on the PP
Different color choices

OP
OP

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
When I was thinking refresh I was thinking very minor sheetmetal stuff if anything. I didn't really think anything would happen there, but I thought I'd mention it and see what people would think.

I'd be surprised personally if there wasn't some engine changes though.

Sponsored

Five.Point.Oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition V8 4x4
Y'all peeps forgetting the fact that Ford dropped a completely new power plant in the 2011 GT with the Coyote a YEAR after a major redesign. And then 2 years after that, they refreshed the design with some minor tweaks. The point is Ford is hard to predict.

4point6grey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PerformancePack
I was wondering that too but only time will tell

Sponsored

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
So, me personally, I'm not terribly excited about the 2016 Mustang seeing as the only real departure is Sync 3. With the Camaro upping the ante, what do you guys expect?

My thoughts:
-Revised Coyote: around 450 horsepower horsepower, 410-420 pound feet of torque. A new engine is possible, but I don't think it's going to happen at this point.

-Stiffer and more aggressive Performance Package set up. Mustang's performance package has been said to be a little soft for the track, so I could see a retooled PP / track pack as a possibility.

-Potential minor sheet metal refresh: don't think this one is too likely, but there could be some minor touches, maybe something trickling down from the GT350 (wheel vents for brakes).

-Brand new Ecoboost v6: some kind of updated v6 is something I could really see happening. Around 375 hp / torque would be my guess.

This is purely just my own thoughts and opinions, what do you guys think? I think the 17MY is going to be the first major change in the S550 platform.
In order to compete with the Camaro SS, they will have to offer as options the MagneRide dampers and the active-valve exhaust (already on the GT350). They might consider widening the front fenders (a la GT350) so we can put wider meats up front (you can already go up to 11.5" wide on the wheels in the rear).

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
i love the front brake vents of the gt350. i also like the side scoops in front of the rear wheels they had on the recent gt/cs models but not sure it would work with the new body style.
maybe a slightly redesigned back light sections.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
How has the Camero upped the ante when it hasn't hit the streets? Every time they come out with a new one I hear about how great it is going to be and it turns out to be a turd. Something tells me a 2015 Mustang will compete just fine with the 2016 Camero.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium

My thoughts:

Or, you can just get a Camaro and drive the figurative king of the hill. That is... until Dodge ups the power on the similarly priced Challenger R/T and the deck gets reshuffled.

Take solace in the fact that the Mustang has a thriving aftermarket that is far more robust than the competition. Slap a supercharger on your car and wipe your rear end with 99% of the Camaros you will encounter (because they are damn near all stock). If I were you, I'd worry about other Mustangs. That's the real race.

Last edited:

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Mach 1!!!!!!!!!
My guess is a special 2017 Bullit since 1967-2017 would be another 50 year commemorative version.
Sponsored