Sponsored

is it safe to raise car from differential housing??

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I use a floor jack right in the middle of the rail and just lift away. Picks the whole side of the car up in one go...so fast and easy. Stands go right on the rails as well so makes it super easy. Should have been my first mod.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
I have used the diff DOZENS of times. There's no problem with it. I also have wooden wheel stands that are 13" each that I sit the car on.

Jacking rails are a waste of time and money. The pinch welds are more than strong enough to support the jacking and standing of the car. I've even jacked the car up one side at a time by the pinch welds without so much as a mark.

I think a lot of people don't know that the crush strength of wooden wheel stands (when made properly) is almost 50,000lbs. Even with 50 clowns in my car jumping up and down, I'm not coming close to that. But those people also needed to buy a rail to jack up their car.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
dev1360, i know it is! but i said wood earlier and got hell for it! lol. ur better at explaining it than i am though.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The diff is fine to use, this is actually pretty common even for a shop to get the rear lift arms under your car, especially if it's lowered.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
since i dont think anybody here knows another way to jack it up or if its possible to jack it up from the front somewhere i think the rails are my only hope and like u said just take my time with it. my old s2000 had a spot front.and back maybe the mustang doesnt. thanx
Cars have been jacked on the differential since the day after it was invented. Just don't place the jack pad on the diff cover, keep it forward a bit, and get your stands properly placed under there and let the jack down slowly.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Safe is relative. Lots of people have jacked theirs up with the diff and lived to tell about it. But these are a lot different than a solid axle car where the diff is welded to axle tubes that are bolted to springs that support the weight of the car. These diffs are bolted horizontally to a sub-frame with bolts that only really need to be strong enough to keep the diff from falling out of the car. So the weight of the car gets put on those bolts when you jack up with the diff when normally they just support the weight of the diff. Of course if they break, its not like the diff will punch thru the floor and if they bend they will just be hard to remove if ever needed. Did it all the time with solid axle vehicles but since there are other ways, I don't with these. If it was the only way or time was critical, I wouldn't lose sleep over jacking the diff.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
The diff bolts support MUCH more than the weight of the diff lol. They take all of the shock and rotational forces that are being pushed through the diff. Remember, it is literally trying to push backwards and rotate out of the car every time you give the car any power. Imagine the shock at launch.
Sponsored