Interior LED Kit

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
No problem. Glad they're working. If you do the dash post pics!
Sponsored

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
So is there somewhere under the dash we can tap to get them to come on with the dome light? I don't want a switch to turn them on an off and I don't want them on when I am driving. I already ordered some strip lights.

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang (Metallic Grey)
It's the actual cupholder part from a premium model. The rings are built into it. All OEM. Love that ford lets you buy it as a part!
Do you need the OEM Ford lighting kit to get the illuminated cup holders? Am I able to buy the illuminated cup holders and swap with the stock ones and it basically be plug and play? Is there wiring or a place to plug the illuminated ones in when you unplug the stock ones? I just installed my own ambient lighting but would love the cup holders as well if it's doable. I'm guessing this isn't as easy as it sounds but thought I would ask.

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Do you need the OEM Ford lighting kit to get the illuminated cup holders? Am I able to buy the illuminated cup holders and swap with the stock ones and it basically be plug and play? Is there wiring or a place to plug the illuminated ones in when you unplug the stock ones? I just installed my own ambient lighting but would love the cup holders as well if it's doable. I'm guessing this isn't as easy as it sounds but thought I would ask.
The cupholder rings have to be bought out on their own. They are not included with the interior light kit. Also, they won't work in conjecture with other systems that are not OEM from ford. However, you can wire them directly into a power source and get a single color depending on the wires you join.

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cupholder rings have to be bought out on their own. They are not included with the interior light kit. Also, they won't work in conjecture with other systems that are not OEM from ford. However, you can wire them directly into a power source and get a single color depending on the wires you join.
Good to know. Have you dug into the diagrams yet to know how difficult the general swap of the cupholders is and how easy it would be to wire them directly into a power source? Is their a power source in the center console or do you need to run wires to the front fuse box?

Sponsored

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Good to know. Have you dug into the diagrams yet to know how difficult the general swap of the cupholders is and how easy it would be to wire them directly into a power source? Is their a power source in the center console or do you need to run wires to the front fuse box?
Ill be doing a factory ambient lighting kit install with the cupholders as part of the full 7 colours. This will be mid march.

OP
OP
Midnight_LMR

Midnight_LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Has anyone done or plan on doing a write-up? I want to pull the trigger on this but I'm not spending a $1k for all factory parts when it was only a $200 upgrade (only reason I didn't get it is I'm an idiot and the dealer never told me lol) but want to definitely do it as ambient lighting. Would really appreciate someone doing a write-up when their satisfied with their results

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
Has anyone done or plan on doing a write-up? I want to pull the trigger on this but I'm not spending a $1k for all factory parts when it was only a $200 upgrade (only reason I didn't get it is I'm an idiot and the dealer never told me lol) but want to definitely do it as ambient lighting. Would really appreciate someone doing a write-up when their satisfied with their results
The factory parts are not 1k bro.

The interior lighting kit is about $200 and the cupholder is $162.
They give the most OEM look. Better than all the other aftermarket stuff in my opinion. Ill be doing a full write up in mid march.

OP
OP
Midnight_LMR

Midnight_LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
$1k was an exaggeration but its still $500 by the time you get fuses and connectors etc
Capture.JPGshskdf.JPG

Sponsored

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will say that while the OEM light kit looks great (my favorites are the door and cup holder lights) the footwells are not as bright as an aftermarket light kit especially if you get a single color strip. I knew I only wanted blue and went aftermarket and it's 3-4x brighter than the OEM footwell kit. I can of course dim it down if I want too which is nice. I did my footwells (front and back) under $100 and that included buying some tools I didn't have for crimping butt connectors.

OP
OP
Midnight_LMR

Midnight_LMR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
link?

pumxee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 DIB
If you go to levittown ford parts site they have the cupholders on sale for $126 and the light kit for $196. :)

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
I will say that while the OEM light kit looks great (my favorites are the door and cup holder lights) the footwells are not as bright as an aftermarket light kit especially if you get a single color strip. I knew I only wanted blue and went aftermarket and it's 3-4x brighter than the OEM footwell kit. I can of course dim it down if I want too which is nice. I did my footwells (front and back) under $100 and that included buying some tools I didn't have for crimping butt connectors.
How did you wire them? Is there a wire that connects to the dome like circuit? I don't want to turn them on an off. I want them on when the door is open.

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, this was my first install ever tapping into a vehicles power so I couldn't begin to tell you how to wire them so they only turn on when the doors are open. I might be wrong but my guess would be using a 'add a circuit' and plugging it into the dome lights fuse slot may do it but someone else would need to confirm.

As for how I did it? I wired them into the fuse box in the passenger compartment. I used an add a circuit and plugged it into the one of the slots in the box and the ground wire into a nearby ground position. The wireless controller box and on/off switch are inside my glove box since i wanted them both hidden. I have a wireless remote to turn them on and off plus change the brightness. The wiring goes out the back left corner of the glovebox where there's an opening and then feeds to the various sections of the car which have the strips. I then hid the wiring using the plastic trim on the center console.
Sponsored