Interior Cleaning - All the different materials

MrPotato

Envious Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fusion SE 202A in Guard
Greetings,

I'm struggling with putting together a quality (and importantly, safest) interior cleaning process. With there being so many different types of materials, and suggestions being all over the board, here is what I've gathered. Am I on the right track?

-- "Leather" Seats
First, I know to be sure to use a water-based cleaner/conditioner and not solvent-based cleaner/conditioners. This is due to the fact that most modern automotive leather has a clear protective coating which can/will be damaged by solvent-based products.

Start with a quality leather cleaner (anything marketed as such, like the Adams cleaner, Griots, CG, Lexol, etc). However, the seats are not all leather! They are partial leather. Leather, leatherette, vinyl, coated/uncoated... and so forth... does each section need a different product?? Does the stitching need to be avoided?

The jury is out on whether conditioner is even necessary--some claim it just sits on the coating and does nothing.

-- "Leather" accents (such as on the doors, steering wheel, shifter)
Same treatment as above

-- Dash and door areas (squishy plasticy/rubbery surfaces)
Use an all-purpose cleaner, or interior detailer. Wipes or spray from Mothers, Meguiars, Adams, CG, etc. Do not use armor-all. Can also use Aerospace 303 on these areas.

-- Hard plastic areas, and silvery plastic/aluminum areas
Same as the squishy areas.

-- Screens and gauges
Use a glass cleaning product, like invisible glass.

I'm very concerned about using something where it doesn't belong, either staining something, drying/cracking something, or ruining something by making it shiny and gross. How did I do?

Thanks! :)
Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
i use Adam's interior detail

it works on everything!

i use it on everything inside( not glass tho)

and its leaves it dry to the touch which i love

OP
OP
MrPotato

MrPotato

Envious Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i use Adam's interior detail

it works on everything!

i use it on everything inside( not glass tho)

and its leaves it dry to the touch which i love
You even use it on the leather (or simulated leather) parts?

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
You even use it on the leather (or simulated leather) parts?

yes i use it to wipe the leather (seats ,doors dash) clean it up a little before putting on the leather condition

OP
OP
MrPotato

MrPotato

Envious Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes i use it to wipe the leather (seats ,doors dash) clean it up a little before putting on the leather condition
So you subscribe to the notion that the conditioner actually does something regardless of the seats being coated?

Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
So you subscribe to the notion that the conditioner actually does something regardless of the seats being coated?
well

1) it makes the interior look better and

2) i never condition the dash and the steering wheel of my lancer, had the car for about a year and a half and it was stating to crack and get f up

i always think its better to be safe than sorry , its like putting sealer on the exterior

WhiteMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang
I got a sticky solid substance in my cup holder. It probably came from a soft drink dripping off the side of the cup. I was horrified when I discovered it. How can I get the sticky piece off and out of the cup holder?

ELPYBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang EB Premium w/ PP and Navi
My leather is starting to get dye stains from my jeans. I Always wear jeans everyday and this Car is a DD. What should I use to get rid of the stains and also condition and protect the leather?

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Sit on a T Shirt . Wallah no more Denim color leaching yer leather seats !

ELPYBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eugene
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang EB Premium w/ PP and Navi
Sit on a T Shirt . Wallah no more Denim color leaching yer leather seats !
I was thinking the same thing. My question is how do you get rid off the existing stains. What products are best to use?

Sponsored

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
My leather is starting to get dye stains from my jeans. I Always wear jeans everyday and this Car is a DD. What should I use to get rid of the stains and also condition and protect the leather?
adams leather cleaner/ interior detail

and condition it with the leather condition once a month still have my seats looking flawless also wear jeans alot

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
What do you recommend for all the cloth parts like the doors and seats for us non leather folk. I noticed it's all turnin white with dust and crap.

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
I try and keep it pretty simple, 3 products.

Leather surfaces - Leather cleaner/conditioner (any of the types you mentioned, I have tried a few and normally try a new kind when one is out) I only condition maybe a couple times a year, doesn't need it every time.

Carpet - I just use a basic upholstery cleaner - cheap and effective is the product by Auto Glym, but there are others out there. If needed a heavily diluted APC like Meguiars or 1Z Blitz for those heavily stained areas.

Everything else - 1Z Cockpit

This doesn't count glass of course which gets glass product.

markology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I try and keep it pretty simple, 3 products.

Leather surfaces - Leather cleaner/conditioner (any of the types you mentioned, I have tried a few and normally try a new kind when one is out) I only condition maybe a couple times a year, doesn't need it every time.

Carpet - I just use a basic upholstery cleaner - cheap and effective is the product by Auto Glym, but there are others out there. If needed a heavily diluted APC like Meguiars or 1Z Blitz for those heavily stained areas.

Everything else - 1Z Cockpit

This doesn't count glass of course which gets glass product.
For the leather surfaces, do you use a cleaner and conditioner combination? Or is there no such thing?

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
For the leather surfaces, do you use a cleaner and conditioner combination? Or is there no such thing?
I believe there is, just have to search.

For leather, on my old car i used the Lexol Cleaner and then followed up with the Conditioner. But this time I'm willing to try something new.
Sponsored