Interesting read on resale values

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/mustang/buying-and-selling/

Seems Mustang is holding its value, probably why Ford is not discounting much

"Most popular of all the Mustangs available across both bodystyles is the V8 Fastback with a manual gearbox, and demand for used ones of that spec is likely to be high too"
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
its holding of its value is mostly a function of fords insane price increases its not that they're holding their value its just the equiv now is 10k more so they've effectively still depreciated by 10k even when sold at their original purchase price

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the price of the 18s is helping the 15s keep their value

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
even the price of the 15-18's is helping out i could list mine for like 2k under purchase it'd be a "bargain" and i'd only have lost 2k over 2 years because the new purchase price is that high.and then as you say the 18-19's price on top of that helping even more.

give it 2 years and ford will be announcing no more mustangs for the UK based off the crap sales of the 18+ models because they priced themselves out of the sweet spot

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
even the price of the 15-18's is helping out i could list mine for like 2k under purchase it'd be a "bargain" and i'd only have lost 2k over 2 years because the new purchase price is that high.and then as you say the 18-19's price on top of that helping even more.

give it 2 years and ford will be announcing no more mustangs for the UK based off the crap sales of the 18+ models because they priced themselves out of the sweet spot
That last point, is something I've been quite worried about, the 18's aren't selling half as fast, they're too expensive for "joe public" the my15-17s are readily available for anyone with a credit score above 5 (lol) because of 0% and all that jazz, so nobodies really touching the 18s, I'd be interested to see their figures knowing that they've been able to be deposited on for a month now. The fact dealers have a plethora of stock of these 18s does shock me. I'd fully expect that because of the my15-17 "315 cars bought" fiasco, the 0%, then the my18s "delays", the bullit being just a reskin and a bunch of other factors that ford could pull out of be looking at a totally new direction (for the UK atleast). Long way off, time will tell, they'll still sell mustangs here; but, will they still be "order what you want" or will they just be "we'll sell 500 of them only"

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
ford mis-understood the market place simple as that between pricing it out of reach of most people now and the fact that the mustang is a very niche car.
It was always going to be majority of mustang purchases were enthusiasts not general public and enthusiasts got in on day 1 with the 15-17's its too soon for them to be expecting us to replace/upgarade couple that with the new increased price and undesirable looks they were never going to sell many 18+'s.

They'd have been better waiting an extra 12 months before launching the new version to bring it inline with the 3 year upgrade cycle / finance deals expiring on the bulk of the 15-17's. Ford fucked up they thought they were selling fiestas when reality is much different.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford have got too greedy, how did they think they could maintain the sales numbers with a ÂŁ10k price hike.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Was in my dealer yesterday and what a difference two years makes when I ordered my GT on a one year waiting list. At least then the sales guy I dealt with was very knowledgable about the MY17 I ordered. Now my dealer still has 4 unsold MY17s in stock but at least had a MY18 on the sales floor. New sales guy said to me “are you interested” and I said “already got one mate” to which his reply was “yeah but the new one has got quad exhausts, bonnet scoops, new rear lights, and a revised rear screen angle (wrong obviously) to make it look more sporty”. He didn’t know about active exhaust, option packages, magnaride, 10 speed auto, more power etc. I could go on, but anyway after I educated him about the MY18 and the fact that I would have to dig out another £7K plus depreciation on my car for roughly the same spec to buy a MY18 the colour drained from his face and he said “blimey that’s going to be a hard sell I guess our Mustang sales are going to plumit then”. That was about the only thing I could agree with him about.

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
That last point, is something I've been quite worried about, the 18's aren't selling half as fast, they're too expensive for "joe public" the my15-17s are readily available for anyone with a credit score above 5 (lol) because of 0% and all that jazz, so nobodies really touching the 18s, I'd be interested to see their figures knowing that they've been able to be deposited on for a month now. The fact dealers have a plethora of stock of these 18s does shock me. I'd fully expect that because of the my15-17 "315 cars bought" fiasco, the 0%, then the my18s "delays", the bullit being just a reskin and a bunch of other factors that ford could pull out of be looking at a totally new direction (for the UK atleast). Long way off, time will tell, they'll still sell mustangs here; but, will they still be "order what you want" or will they just be "we'll sell 500 of them only"

If Grabber blue had been available on the MY18 facelift, I would have go for it. But sadly not and don’t know why as it’s a popular colour. I also went with the 0% interest deal, I do have the funds to pay for the car outright. But my money is earning better interest where it’s sitting at the moment......I’m not planning on selling my GT any time soon, so not over concerned about future values. Most cars depreciate one way or another and don’t think the Mustang will be any different. There appears to be a few worriers on here that think their Mustang is going to lose a fortune or its going to blow up. Get out there and enjoy your car

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also went with the 0% interest deal, I do have the funds to pay for the car outright. But my money is earning better interest where it’s sitting at the moment......There appears to be a few worriers on here that think their Mustang is going to lose a fortune or its going to blow up. Get out there and enjoy your car
Slight contradiction! One minute you are trying to save a few pounds by getting circa 2% interest on your savings, and the next you're questioning why people are glad that their Mustang does not appear to depreciate as quickly as some initially though it would

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
My car is a keeper, so not too worried about residuals.

That said Ford UK over ordering run out MY17s has certainly distorted the market, at least in the short term. These all seem to be nearly sold now, so that should mean the second hand market normalises.

Still pretty impressive that a 3 year old car that retailed for less than ÂŁ35k when new are up at ÂŁ28k+ now.

Avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Lotus, Raptor
Prices up and sales down keeps the Mustang special on the roads.

I probably keep mine for a long time unless there is a spectacular new.model

ian2144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT grabber blue/black roof
Slight contradiction! One minute you are trying to save a few pounds by getting circa 2% interest on your savings, and the next you're questioning why people are glad that their Mustang does not appear to depreciate as quickly as some initially though it would
You are welcome to pick my post apart, it was just my thoughts........you have a nice day now :like:

OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are welcome to pick my post apart, it was just my thoughts........you have a nice day now :like:
Thanks. Sorry if sounded a bit short. I appreciate the sentiment of your inital post that the car is ultimately there to enjoy:)
Sponsored