Sponsored

Inheriting a big block Camaro

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
So, as the title states, I'm inheriting a big block Camaro. My father-in-law restored this over the last twenty years, and drives it sporadically, but due to his current living situation, he doesn't have time/space for it.

As the story goes with this car, my father-in-law bought it at some random used car lot in central NJ back in like 1990. Over the next seven years or so, he put about 280k miles on it, then decided to do a full restoration. While doing the body work and paint, a shop in NJ called Owen & Macintosh (now closed, due to the owner pulling a Hennessey and stealing parts from one car to complete another) found that the front bumper was a two piece design that they had never seen before, and didn't match any of the order books. They did some research and found that this particular car was one of like 20 that were built for the 1986 SCCA season. How it wound up in NJ, I have no clue.

My FIL did the paint and body work, and eventually put a 454 that was taken over to 460 in, along with a Turbo 400 transmission. Well, he had all kinds of cooling issues (big surprise), problems with the head gaskets, and problems with the transmission. After two more transmissions, several radiators and an electric fan setup, as well as replacing the original 454 with a crate GEN III 454, he finally got a reliable combination that put a TON of torque through the Ford 9" rear, and I was able to drive it on a couple occasions. It's fun, but not really my style (why couldn't he have kept the Hemi Roadrunner or the GT350 he used to have?!?!?!). Anyway, it's one of like five GEN III Camaros in the country with a big block, due to the ridiculously small size of the engine bay.

I need to head up to NJ to pick it up and trailer it down to SC (or possibly drive it, which will be fun, considering the noise and the fact that it hasn't made a trip of more than 50 miles in twenty years). If I drive it, my FIL will follow me in his daily driven 1968 Chevy C10 pickup. Then, I have to get it registered and insured in SC.

What's the best collector car insurance company for the price? I looked at Hagerty's, and they want almost $700 a year for an estimated $25000 value. ACI wants more like $300, which is far more palatable for a vehicle I'd drive like once or twice a month. I assume I'll need to get it assessed for value before insuring it, but I know my FIL used a $25k value (probably "his" value) for his collector insurance.

On to the pictures, which are from a car show in 2008.

PICT0016.JPG
PICT0033.JPG
PICT0186.JPG

I think I'll need to grow a mullet.

JR
Sponsored