Sponsored

Information on light weight wheels

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
So My pony feels strong after all the mods and suspension adjustments ive made. But from what ive read I have 36lb 20inch rims on all 4 corners, the premium Forged wheels from Ford, I think they look like a dream and dont want to get rid of them, only problem is the 9 in wide part, but sticky tires can fix that.

My question is with Z06's and 911's having 20 inch wheels as well will going to a 22-25lb rim and dropping down to 19in or even staying at 20inch make a huge(noticeable) difference on performance to where it is worth it? like is this something to invest in to gain fast 60 times better handling and better everything lol, people quote shit like 10 lbs is worth x10 since its unsprung so if you just drive on rotors your car will loose 240lbs which is like 2400lbs so you will have 1 to 1 power to weight ratio etc....

basically some say its the shit, some say, quit thinking like a ricer and save for supercharger. is there any data or proof on this, i dont accept butt data as fact, if the source seems valid btw.

Thanks for your input guys.
Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Performance will come from a few things. First a wider tire for traction- 10-11 inch rears; and you can even go 10 on front too with nice wide 275-295 tires.

Rotational weight lost in the wheels is more than reducing cabin weight. Losing 30-40 pounds from the wheels equates to more performance than loosing the same 30-40 pounds from say the car cabin.

The OEM 20s are only 8.5" wide not 9, and they are very heavy. You can get 20x10s in the 25-28 pound range (less if price is no option) for not a whole lot of money and shed 30-40 pounds of rotational weight. My Niches weigh 28 pounds and were under $2k with wheels/tires/TPMS sensors shipped That would shed 32 pounds from your 20 setup with the perk of nice wide 10" wheels and wide tires.

OP
OP

FivepointOHYEAH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6M
So My pony feels strong after all the mods and suspension adjustments ive made. But from what ive read I have 36lb 20inch rims on all 4 corners, the premium Forged wheels from Ford, I think they look like a dream and dont want to get rid of them, only problem is the 9 in wide part, but sticky tires can fix that.

My question is with Z06's and 911's having 20 inch wheels as well will going to a 22-25lb rim and dropping down to 19in or even staying at 20inch make a huge(noticeable) difference on performance to where it is worth it? like is this something to invest in to gain fast 60 times better handling and better everything lol, people quote shit like 10 lbs is worth x10 since its unsprung so if you just drive on rotors your car will loose 240lbs which is like 2400lbs so you will have 1 to 1 power to weight ratio etc....

basically some say its the shit, some say, quit thinking like a ricer and save for supercharger. is there any data or proof on this, i dont accept butt data as fact, if the source seems valid btw.

Thanks for your input guys.
Typo, I do accept butt data*
Sponsored