Sponsored

Infinity Reference Series

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
I was going to pull the trigger on replacing all the "Premium 9 speakers with amp" with this line of speakers. Factory amp only and no sub and likely not going there in the future.
I'll be installing myself so plug and play and ease of install are desired.
I'll be using the Metra brand install rings and harnesses where applicable.
I have been reading pages and pages of posts in this section and last night felt I should just leave it stock. My head hurt and the science of it all ....I'm just not up to speed on and likely never will get it.
I'm no audiophile but appreciate a nice system and the factory "premium system" just didn't hit the mark for me.
Is there any bear traps I'm about to step in I haven't thought of yet? Worth the effort and 230-300 bucks?
Thanks!
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Iā€™m not an expert but have not seen too many aftermarket 3 way speaker systems that will bolt right in (using adapters or not). I did change all of my front left/right channel speakers with Morel Virtus drivers. Great improvement. I disconnected the center channel as well. One thing I still want to do is upgrade the factory amp so I can fully enjoy the upgraded speakers. One of the biggest cautions here is not to play it too loud and damage the new speakers but unfortunately simply upgrading the amplifier in an S550 is not quite straightforward as the stock amp performs many integrated functions with the head unit and cannot just be removed/bypassed. So Iā€™m still in the phase of deciding if jumpers and a line output converter with amp or Fosgate DSR1 are how Iā€™ll proceed. Like you said, lots of information here to sort through but good luck finding a solution youā€™re happy with.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Jetnoise, I've been doing car audio since the dawn of time (8 Tracks). Make sure any speaker replacements you do that the impedance (Ohms) of the new speakers will match the OEM's. If you go from a 2 Ohm OEM to a 4ohm replacement you will have 1/2 the volume.

OP
OP

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Vicr....thanks for the advice!
here's what Has me confused & hereā€™s what I have come up with in my research but Iā€˜m having a challenging time finding the true factory ohm ratings and they appear to be different in different locations for same size speaker and or possibly by the oem radio optioned.
On my list to buy but open to suggestions

Infinity 3/4" Tweeters 45W RMS Reference Series Edge-Driven Textile Car Tweeters, 3.0 ohms. Factory is at 8 ohms?Infinity Coax 3.5" 25W RMS Max Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers With Edge-driven Textile Tweeter, 3.0 ohms. Factory center dash is at 2 Ohms and doors are at 8 ohms?
Infinity Coax 6.5" 60W RMS Max Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers With Edge-driven Textile Tweeter 3.0 ohms. Factory Door is 2.0 ohms & 2.0 ohms in rear deck? these 3-ohm speakers combine with the speaker wire in your car so your car stereo sees actual 4-ohm impedance

To make things even more confusing for meā€¦..Infinity /Crutchfield advertisesā€¦ā€¦ā€œthese 3-ohm speakers combine with the speaker wire in your vehicle so your car stereo sees actual 4-ohm impedance, so you get a little more volume out of your system.

Sponsored