Inexpensive wind screen

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
There is another thread on this topic but I wanted to let all convertible owners know that there is an inexpensive alternative for just under $50. I got one of these in this week and tried it. It works very well. I adjusted the rear view mirror as high as I could and can see over the top of the screen with no obstructed view. I have some Velcro tape and used the soft cloth side of the tape to put on the screen where it contacts the upholstery on the back side of the front seats to prevent any chafing.

http://www.tekspree.com/ford-mustang-windscreen-wind-deflector-2000-2017/
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
There is another thread on this topic but I wanted to let all convertible owners know that there is an inexpensive alternative for just under $50. I got one of these in this week and tried it. It works very well. I adjusted the rear view mirror as high as I could and can see over the top of the screen with no obstructed view. I have some Velcro tape and used the soft cloth side of the tape to put on the screen where it contacts the upholstery on the back side of the front seats to prevent any chafing.

It's nice to see options out there. I have a "Love the Drive". I think it's absolutely wonderful. I got it from a member here for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the price for new. But if I was in the market, I would definitely take a look at this one.

Thank for posting. :cheers:

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I like the love to drive cause you can easily shove stuff behind the front seats, like all my hats without the worry of anything flying out :D

:cheers:

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I like the love to drive cause you can easily shove stuff behind the front seats, like all my hats without the worry of anything flying out :D

:cheers:
I have found the same thing. You can put whatever you want back there and not worry about it getting sucked up/out....:cheers:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

Wow, thanks... I wanted the love my drive, but did not want to take up the trunk space when not in use. This is a simple and quick solution. $50? Cheap enough to throw in the back and bring out when I really need it.

Sponsored

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
I tried this out for $7. It's better than nothing, but doesn't block as much wind as I'd like on the interstate. For the price, everyone should try this before buying something else.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]618oswJijdw[/MEDIA]"]

OP
OP
jeffdeq

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
Here are the two I tried. Neither of them are true to the pictures on Wal-Mart's website.

This is the one in the video. I ordered it, but I've also seen it on the shelf at Wal-Mart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AUTODRIVE-REAR-SHADE/55322519

This one worked better for me. It's a little smaller. I used bungee cords around the headrests instead of the straps in the video. Unlike Wal-Mart's pictures, the connection points are at 3, 6, 9, & 12. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nuby-3pk-Pop-Open-Sunshade/54267373

There are 2 main downfalls to using these:

1. They aren't as tall or as wide as the Love the Drive because they're limited to the height and width of the headrests.

2. Because they're really just a sunshade, the structural wire isn't made to withstand the wind. The top and bottom flex with the wind, and eventually, the entire screen sags below the headrests. Not a big deal if you don't mind adjusting it every few minutes.

The challenge is figuring out how to get the screen to stay level with the headrests and hold steady in the wind. I tried a piece of PVC pipe attached to the top of the screen, with the bottom end of the pipe standing on the floorboard. It worked OK for a few hours, but wasn't a long term solution.

As I've said before, $7 is well worth finding out if you can live with it before buying a more expensive screen. I've been contemplating making my own version of the Love the Drive out of PVC and wrapping it with the material from these screens.
Sponsored