Sponsored

Increase in Oil Temperature From?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
So I've noticed my oil temperature readings are just slightly higher than they've ever been before.
It has almost always been completely dead centered, but now you can see it slants to the right, even slightly more-so when I am pulling hard, but always still in the green and not even close to the yellow.

Now there have been 3 recent factors that may or may not have influenced this: 1) the weather is finally getting a lot warmer here in California 2) I started using Royal Purple instead of Mobil1 3) Ford just replaced a leaking oil cooler line.

So I'm wondering if this is something of concern, or I'm just overthinking this and that it should be fine?
Thanks for any feedback and help!

IMG_4068.jpg
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
You answered your own question. Enjoy the car.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Short answer: Green is good
Longer: Figure out what the actual temps are, and then decide on that. A gauge without numbers is one step above useless. I wonder if the engineer responsible for it has a thermometer that has "Freezing" and then "Boiling" as the two references.

Deleted member 35644

Short answer: Green is good
Longer: Figure out what the actual temps are, and then decide on that. A gauge without numbers is one step above useless. I wonder if the engineer responsible for it has a thermometer that has "Freezing" and then "Boiling" as the two references.
I think they figured out that giving certain types of consumers too much information just causes problems. Like "why it is reading 230 degrees today, when it was reading 225 degrees yesterday? There would be an endless line of cars outside the service department having something like that looked at. So.....we get these dumb, nearly meaningless gauges. Green good. Red bad.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think they figured out that giving certain types of consumers too much information just causes problems. Like "why it is reading 230 degrees today, when it was reading 225 degrees yesterday? There would be an endless line of cars outside the service department having something like that looked at. So.....we get these dumb, nearly meaningless gauges. Green good. Red bad.
That might be true, except for the fact that they have a page in the dashboard specifically with a bunch of very precise measurements. I mean, who needs to know their IAT or AFR right?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm pretty sure your car doesn't have an actual oil temp sensor. The gauge displays what oil temp probably is based on other sensors. Look into what could be effecting those.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I know what you mean on the OCD owners, but even so, there should be numbers. Like EFI said, for the true OCD types, you have the number page. Personally, I leave it stuck on oil temp because I'm not running any FI and oil temp should be a real gauge on a high performance car. But, I know that oil temp is derived, so even then it's pseudo-fake data. But, it helps remind me to drive/play nice for a few minutes after startup. Sometimes I wonder how much money is saved by inferring values vs just having a real sensor. I mean how much would it have cost to have a real map sensor instead of all the fake map data?
Sponsored