In a fever of upgrades

NWFreerider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silver GT PP
In retrospect I'm afraid I may look like a braggart - Apologies if this is the case, not my intention.

the car is my life at the moment after a rough patch with girl/job one two punch :doh: :repost:
No worries. Been there, done that!! :cheers:
Sponsored

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
BRIDGESTONE RE-71R 285/35/19
:
Just curious why you decided to go with the 71R's? They are a fantastic tire, but are far more suited to autocrossing, as they were developed to be grippy at cold temps, but from what ive read, tend to fall off when they get really hot. I think some R-compound tires may be better suited to track work(mpsc 2's, r888's or something similar). And as much fun as your car will be in autocross, with the mods you have, it will fall into a street prepared class (maybe ESP), where it probably wouldn't be competitive. Sweet build though...maybe ill see you around at a track day !

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Just curious why you decided to go with the 71R's? They are a fantastic tire, but are far more suited to autocrossing, as they were developed to be grippy at cold temps, but from what ive read, tend to fall off when they get really hot. I think some R-compound tires may be better suited to track work(mpsc 2's, r888's or something similar). And as much fun as your car will be in autocross, with the mods you have, it will fall into a street prepared class (maybe ESP), where it probably wouldn't be competitive. Sweet build though...maybe ill see you around at a track day !
I think this is a misconception. I have posted my impressions on the tire for track use in another thread and I'll reiterate here.

While the tire does fall off a bit after ~8-10 mins of hard lapping, the amount it falls off is not too bad. For instance, over a 1:25 course, I was dropping one second after about 6 laps. So 1:25ish to 1:26ish. And the deal is that they are so sticky that even when they aren't at their best, they are probably still as fast or faster as the second tier tires (MPSS, etc). I'd wager that the RE-71R's are faster even than R888's which are a lower TW rating. I'd also love to see a comparison between RE-71R's and MP SC2's. I bet the time difference is close.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Sponsored

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I think this is a misconception. I have posted my impressions on the tire for track use in another thread and I'll reiterate here.

While the tire does fall off a bit after ~8-10 mins of hard lapping, the amount it falls off is not too bad. For instance, over a 1:25 course, I was dropping one second after about 6 laps. So 1:25ish to 1:26ish. And the deal is that they are so sticky that even when they aren't at their best, they are probably still as fast or faster as the second tier tires (MPSS, etc). I'd wager that the RE-71R's are faster even than R888's which are a lower TW rating. I'd also love to see a comparison between RE-71R's and MP SC2's. I bet the time difference is close.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
Oh, i have no doubt they are near or better grip than some r-comps( "200" tw rating my ass). They are freakishly fast. Thanks for the input, like I said, i am only going off what i had previously read, so its good to hear from someone with direct experience that differs. Do you tend to be hard on tires? Are you pushing 10/10ths? Not saying your incorrect, just curious how you drive the car. For instance, I never had a problem overheating the Ra1's on my old evo track car...i really tried to focus on being smooth and not overdriving the tires. I had a pro driver buddy drive the car, and even though his times were only a bit faster than mine, we noticed the grip falling away as he was driving the tire right to the edge of its capabilities.

tyshenry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT w/ PP
Oh, i have no doubt they are near or better grip than some r-comps( "200" tw rating my ass). They are freakishly fast. Thanks for the input, like I said, i am only going off what i had previously read, so its good to hear from someone with direct experience that differs. Do you tend to be hard on tires? Are you pushing 10/10ths? Not saying your incorrect, just curious how you drive the car. For instance, I never had a problem overheating the Ra1's on my old evo track car...i really tried to focus on being smooth and not overdriving the tires. I had a pro driver buddy drive the car, and even though his times were only a bit faster than mine, we noticed the grip falling away as he was driving the tire right to the edge of its capabilities.
I am definitely hard on tires and am pushing 10/10ths through my whole sessions. One thing I have noticed is people that tend to overdrive the front (driving "through" understeer) have more complaints with tires going off and wearing too fast....

Just for reference, not to brag(maybe a little) I am only 1.5 seconds off Aaron Sockwell in his really prepped S550 at that track (Dusold Design car here on the forums). So, I am definitely driving the balls off the car.

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
Brake lines and brake fluid?
Thank you, yes, I should probably upgrade the brake lines as I am going full rotors/pads./fluid next week (ATE 200 fluid planned) right? The stock lines are squishy?

EDIT: Im under the impression that the PP Stock brake lines are sufficient... Feel free to correct me if you disagree-

Last edited:
OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Just curious why you decided to go with the 71R's?
..maybe ill see you around at a track day !
Agree with what has been said about the RE-71R, couldnt have said it better.

Would like to see ya (everyone!) at the track for sure!!
Thunderhill saturday:p
also Laguna May 6th, 16th

EDIT: Will not have the Mustang at Mazda RaLS May 16th

Sonoma 7-8th, 21-22nd
T-Hill May 23

:cheers:

Last edited:

CoastHighway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm signed up for Laguna on the 16th. My all stock car will be the "control" vehicle for before and after comparisons.

Sponsored

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Agree with what has been said about the RE-71R, couldnt have said it better.

Would like to see ya (everyone!) at the track for sure!!
Thunderhill saturday:p
also Laguna May 6th, 16th
Sonoma 7-8th, 21-22nd
T-Hill May 23

:cheers:
I'll be at the T-Hill NCRC May 23 event!

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I'll be at the T-Hill NCRC May 23 event!
Nice Chris..!

We should hit the quarter mile track next Wednesday, maybe, too! I still havent tried a bunch of my track apps! :p

OP
OP
GT_Roadcourse_Newb

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ford Track Handling Pack - car poised nicely

Also now sporting the Magnaflow exhaust!
Sponsored