Idiots tried to Steal my Trunk Snake Emblem

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition
Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else. Thankfully they didn't succeed -- but the emblem was bent and the black plastic chipped.

Ford is going to replace it for me under new car warranty. Learned that the emblem isn't held by double-sided tape but is part of a single factory piece w/ the black plastic (attaching an example pic). My guess is Ford designed it that way for exactly this reason - to make it almost impossible to rip it off. The only problem for me is that my car had full PPF so now I'm going to have to re-wrap that panel. Plus, as with most ford dealers, the process has been a nightmare. Multiple phone calls to service manager, multiple visits and of course they still screwed it up as it wasn't the HEP version so had to re-order.

The fact that I have to go through this and waste a bunch of time & money makes me irate.

Snip20210326_5.png
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
sorry to hear that man. but that is one heck of a dealer to do that for you.
Exactly, I'm surprised they're even hearing you out. You should be going to insurance under vandalism (comp claim) and working with a body shop or doing the replacement install yourself.

Sorry that happened to you, there are some crummy people out there.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
FWIW, mine fell off on its own when I closed the trunk lid once. Happened a couple years after I bought the car new. I put it back on with 3M double-sided tape that's designed for car emblems and trim. It's more secure now than it was when it left the factory, IMHO.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else. Thankfully they didn't succeed -- but the emblem was bent and the black plastic chipped.

Ford is going to replace it for me under new car warranty. Learned that the emblem isn't held by double-sided tape but is part of a single factory piece w/ the black plastic (attaching an example pic). My guess is Ford designed it that way for exactly this reason - to make it almost impossible to rip it off. The only problem for me is that my car had full PPF so now I'm going to have to re-wrap that panel. Plus, as with most ford dealers, the process has been a nightmare. Multiple phone calls to service manager, multiple visits and of course they still screwed it up as it wasn't the HEP version so had to re-order.

The fact that I have to go through this and waste a bunch of time & money makes me irate.

Snip20210326_5.png

Wow I get being irate about the fact that someone messed with your car... but ripping on a dealer who's submitting a warranty claim for something thats obviously not warranty isn't cool bud.

Sponsored

OP
OP
fatony618

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Wow I get being irate about the fact that someone messed with your car... but ripping on a dealer who's submitting a warranty claim for something thats obviously not warranty isn't cool bud.
sorry to hear that man. but that is one heck of a dealer to do that for you.
Good point but they

OP
OP
fatony618

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Im not ripping on the dealer just the situation. I was simply frustrated at them for the fact that i had to go back 3 times for a single part and then they got it wrong. And when i originally submitted the claim - attempted theft didn't cross my mind - they were the ones that suggested it based on how the plastic and the emblem was married together. Then it all started to make sense.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
Frustrating...... On my 91 Mustang GT I had both my 5.0 emblems stolen while parked at an airport. I was incredibly lucky as they did not do any damage. Thieves SUCK!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Frustrating...... On my 91 Mustang GT I had both my 5.0 emblems stolen while parked at an airport. I was incredibly lucky as they did not do any damage. Thieves SUCK!
Amen to that... Several years ago I had some idiot do $250+ worth of damage to my 1995 Z28 Camaro, punching the lock through the fiberglass door skin, trying to steal a $60 Kenwood head unit. And they didn't even succeed in getting the head unit, because they didn't bring the right tools to slide it out of the console... They only got the face plate, which was worthless without the head unit itself. Talk about sucking at your chosen profession!! :angry:

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
For sure on that rear panel. When I had my 2016 GT350 the paint right beside the emblem cracked. The dealership replaced it under warranty. And as said the emblem is melt riveted right onto the plastic. They showed me that if would have had to pay for just that black plastic panel with that emblem on it it would have been $900.00

feeny1701

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'21 Canyon Denali LB, ‘19 ATS-V
I had that black panel crack on mine about 2 months after I took delivery of the car. My local dealer replaced it under warranty with no issues. I asked the body shop manager if I could keep the broken part, and he told me they have to send it back to Ford, so they can't even take the emblems.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I had that black panel crack on mine about 2 months after I took delivery of the car. My local dealer replaced it under warranty with no issues. I asked the body shop manager if I could keep the broken part, and he told me they have to send it back to Ford, so they can't even take the emblems.
I asked the same thing when mine was replaced and was told it had to be sent back also.

OP
OP
fatony618

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I asked the same thing when mine was replaced and was told it had to be sent back also.
Thanks. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and give it back. Hopefully the PPF isn’t too expensive to re-do. Based on everyone else comments it sounds like its more common than I thought. I glued it for now so at least it doesn't look like total crap or fall off while I’m driving.

Im a pretty easy going guy but if I caught someone trying to do this I would have went crazy.
Tony’s Life order of importance:
1. Dog (English Yellow Lab named Gunner) 2. Shelby
3. Girlfriend (not married but still would prob slot the future wife in here as well if I ever choose to take the plunge) lol.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice if they sold the part by itself, but they probably didn't want a bunch of poser Mustang drivers slapping them on their cars. Now we have to deal with poser Mustang driver's trying to steal them. Still, for OP to be complaining about the dealership helping him with something that is clearly not their fault, is a bit Karen-ish.
Sponsored