Sponsored

I tried both Sly Brackets license plate bracket and Craig's, my experience

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
I first purchased a Craig's bracket and liked where it mounted but the knob did not stay tight (in less than 100 miles) so I tightened it a bit more and the billet aluminum stud snapped off. I contacted Craig's and he said "The billet aluminum stud broke off because it was overtightened. " He said a replacement was $30. I said "Wow, that's expensive! I just put this bracket on a month ago and less than 100 miles. Am I past any kind of warranty? He said Disclaimer: Craig’s Custom Mustang Brackets is not responsible for any damage or loss incurred during the installation and use of this license plate bracket.

Fair enough. I missed seeing the disclaimer when I bought it a month ago. I have no ill will and moved on.

Fearing it would happen again I did not purchase the Craig's replacement bracket. I purchased a Sly Brackets that mounts to the grill and uses two mounting points instead of the swivel type that I had issues keeping tight. I also purchased the leveler bracket but did not need it on the Mach 1. So far I am happy with the looks and will report back if I have any issues. Pictures attached of the Sly bracket. I still like the looks placement wise of the Craig's bracket better.

plate 1.jpg

plate 2.jpg

plate 3.jpg
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks for posting! I like it. I also had some issues with Craig's in the past. It was fine, but I decided not to buy another this time around.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting! I like it. I also had some issues with Craig's in the past. It was fine, but I decided not to buy another this time around.
The other small issue I had with the Craig's was that it relies on two small rubber bumpers that lie against the painted bumper cover and eventually I can see that making marks. The Sly has no contact with any painted surfaces. Picture of back side of Craig's:

craig 1.jpg

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added the leveler to compare. I still need to adjust the spacers to set it back another 1/4 inch or so.
I'm not sure which way I'll leave it. It's level now but you can see the bracketry more from the side. If I set it back more that should help. The guy at Sly Brackets was very helpful when I could not figure out how the leveler installed he texted me pictures and always answered my questions within a minute, can't beat that.
Oh, and the square rod has button head screws in it that I did not have in the picture. I thought my install used those threaded holes but it did not, which is what confused me for a while.

sly1.jpg

sly2.jpg

sly3.jpg

sly4.jpg

sly5.jpg

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I preferred the look with no leveler bracketry and ended up going back to no leveler but this time I kept the changed position of the grill mount which raised the license plate up. Also I had to remove the flat washers I had added to the slide mount because they did not clear the license plate and it bulged out. I kept the as sent lock washers and they fit and clear in the recess. No wonder they didn't use a flat washer duh! Here's a view of the two side views and what I'm going to leave it at. Even though it is tilted I prefer it, to each his own. Last side pic is with leveler, 1st pic is without.

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

back3.jpg

x.jpg

Sponsored

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Thanks for posting this. I’ve had no license plate on my cars for years but I am old enough now that it doesn’t bother me to have one. I didn’t want to put holes in the bumper. This is a nice looking kit. Thanks for introducing it to me.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
this makes me worried how the craigs bracket will hold up in upstate ny winter driving .
I live in the Berkshires (western MA) and my Craig's has survived 3 winters no worse for wear...

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you look into the Sto & Sho at all?
Yes I did. I don't care at all for the very low mounting of the plate visually but that's just my personal preference. I think it requires drilling into the belly pan too. I also don't care for the tow hook mounts because the plate is no longer centered.

Sponsored

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
I am looking for options as my car is going into the shop this week to get the paint gouge repaired and splitter replaced. Having the bracket holes filled and painted while there as well so I am open to different mounts.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am looking for options as my car is going into the shop this week to get the paint gouge repaired and splitter replaced. Having the bracket holes filled and painted while there as well so I am open to different mounts.
I picked what worked for me but the others can certainly work as well for other people. Always good to have options.

ghstrydr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Convertible
Sto&Sho requires one small hole drilled in the plastic under engine cover. I have it installed and it works very well. What I didn't like was the price $85.00.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Craig's bracket. Put it on 2 years ago in August and after several months of high heat and humidity, the glue started to loosen. I didn't realize at first but it looked like someone was trying to pull it off. No one messed with it....just the adhesive loosening and causing it to droop. I called Craig's and received same response OP got......I was able to just purchase the replacement bracket with the stud. Its' been curing in place for over a year now....haven't reattached the license plate. So far I've been lucky and have not been pulled over for no front plate.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sto&Sho requires one small hole drilled in the plastic under engine cover. I have it installed and it works very well. What I didn't like was the price $85.00.
$80 for the Sly Bracket, if you want the leveler it's $15 more. I'm just glad there are options to drilling. Before finding Sly Brackets I was going to put the factory mount on which is not attractive in my opinion.
Sponsored