pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been running around with other groups around my area (Edge Addicts and Driven Blessed) but want to run a few events NASA Texas who seems to host the HPDE events. My question is, would it be typical/mandatory to start with HPDE 1 on the first event even though I have track experience under my belt or would HPDE 2 be more appropriate to start at being I'm solo qualified for other groups? I assume they don't care and want you to start at HPDE 1 to level set but figured more I would ask anyways. The email they had for contact never responded.... Also, is there anything different to expect from HPDE events that's different than some of the other groups? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Seeing how NASATX just got a new DE chair, I'd guess you'll be in 1 which isn't a bad thing. Get an instructor, prove you're OK solo and go from there. DE1 and DE2 run together. To be DE2, just need to be safe and aware. If you have experience, you will show that and get promoted. Having instructed for Driven/Blessed, I will say that a lot of the solo people are not really appropriate to be solo (unless you have a lot of track time).

Sign up for 1, prove your worth and get promoted. Have fun, drive home and do it again the next day.

PM me for any other questions as I've run with NASATX a few times and know a lot of the instructors, but the CDI (Chief Driving Instructor) and HPDE chair has changed recently.

Good Luck and have fun. Going to ECR?

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir it's the:

#3420: Aug 21st - 23rd, 2020
Fun In The Sun At Eagles Canyon Raceway
Entry List
Eagles Canyon Raceway
Configuration: 2.7 Mile CCW

What looking to do. Based on the description looks like a 2-day event. Is it a full day (4-20 minute sessions) or what's the typical day? Based on some YT vids I've watch of ECR looks like a fun track. I like to watch a ton of vids to get familiar with tracks I've never run before I get out there, but most of them do not have a description of which way they are running. You have any vids that show running CCW? Thank you for the info.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah, events are usually 2 days, but you can do 1 day only. Usually 4 20 min sessions per day with classroom after the session to debrief and go over things. I've never run ECR so I'm no help with the track layout.

There is a texas track group on FB I'd recommend joining. Easy to find. Probably a lot more people in there that have run ECR in all configurations as there are people in that group who have memberships at the track.

Good Luck

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect... just requested to join the group. Thanks again!

Sponsored

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can you explain a little more about the transponder they keep referring to? Is this something that needs to be rented every event or purchased?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Can you explain a little more about the transponder they keep referring to? Is this something that needs to be rented every event or purchased?
That's only for TT/W2W racing. No need for transponder in DE

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Having had previous track experience in UK - I joined NASA (Mid-Atlantic) region.
Attended my first VIR event as HPDE1 - Was Solo by the second day..
Next event moved to HPDE2 (with Instructor) - Was Solo by the third session..
I am now ready to move into 3 :)

IMO - NASA events are heavily focussed on Safety - for you and others on track, track regulations, flags etc and building experience.
I am sure they have had many people transfer from other HPDE clubs, if you can show experience and instructor reports from previous events, they would surely waive or fast track you up..!

OP
OP
pgonza2723

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect, thanks for the feedback. I figured they wanted to level set everyone no matter their experience and go from there. Figured having multiple groups to run with is never a bad idea. Some of the other groups I've run with, most all events are run really well, but like said above, there are some folks that do some questionable actions on track.
Sponsored