Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
My knowledge from driving the GT350 on track with and without Recaros is that a good harness is what you need. Neither seat will hold me in place enough to relax without a harness, and either works fine with a harness.

I also never wanted an R. However, I have driven one and I was surprised that I didn't feel more of a difference with the carbon fiber wheels. Probably on track or with more seat time I could tell. I think I'm an observant person. However, when I drove the R I owned my Z06 at the time and had owned it for a few months, so I wasn't able to A-B compare them as closely as someone who is dailying one and then drives the other.
Iā€™ve driven them both R and non-R) back-to-back on the track. Thereā€™s a real and measurable difference. Thereā€™s even a measurable difference between the ā€˜16 R I had and my ā€˜20 R.

If there did not exist a measurable difference, Ford couldnā€™t justify the R premium, as the R isnā€™t a stickers package.

Look at the comments from the guys who own the Mach1. Many are saying itā€™s the funnest car theyā€™ve ever driven, yet they canā€™t accurately compare the recent PP2 or Bullitt Mustangs to the Mach1 because of package differences that are functional.

The R can be a daily driver, you just get used to how you drive it daily. If you need a back seat you can get one for an R. You can always swap out front spoilers and put different shoes on it. It is as daily a car as it gets to those who can appreciate it as that.

Hands down, IMHO, the GT350R is the most sophisticatedly streetable track-capable mustang Ford has ever made.

I just left our Saturday morning cars n coffee here in Mt Pleasant, SC and there are some amazing rides that attend. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the owner of these beauties...
D2424BF9-20CB-40AD-AEC6-ED4B399CD016.jpeg

We talked about Ford stuff, heritage stuff, and the general uses of our cars and he said he preferred driving his older GT than the new one if comfort is considered. This is a man who also owns an 812SF so he appreciates function and aesthetics. While we were talking I heard more than one person come by and say, ā€œIt has a V6,ā€ as if the car had cancer or some handicap. He then reminded them of the wins the car has under its belt, but they didnā€™t care... they just thought the car should have what they thought it should have. Itā€™s all perspective.

When I got back to my car, HEPR #178, which was parked beside this beauty...
0FF887E1-B6BB-470F-9BC3-210274EE6ED0.jpeg

there were many people looking inside the old GT350 and not even paying any attention to mine. This GT350 was #179. I just mused as I heard the conversations about how this was a real Shelby and chuckled. The owner of the GT350 was appreciative of the HEPR and said he respected the car for being an absolutely great Mustang. I told him I enjoyed it, but peopleā€™s perspectives are just that... theirs.

I love cars period. Some I wouldnā€™t own, some I would, but what I do own is because itā€™s what I wanted and could do what I expected of it. My perspective is my HEPR and itā€™s my favorite car ever.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Great article Brett...!!!
A tad bit of incorrect information however.
It states ā€œ11 minute readā€ just under the title.
Aside from it being a really well written article, the photography is excellent; this does not allow one to absorb, appreciate, and finish in 11 minutes.
May want to consider a correction notice for those who love good automotive journalism.
Thanks, Hot Rod Magazine and MotorTrend trained me well.

As for the 11 mins, šŸ¤£ Thats automatic generated number.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Most of the people I know with GT350R change CF wheels to aftermarket wheels. The CF wheels on the R are the biggest difference in the price. In my case I purchased GT350 base because I can barely get out of my driveway, never mind with R. And roads here in NJ are so terrible, with R being lower I would hit the front splitter every time I'm on the road. I can afford expensive cars, but can't afford not enjoying them.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Most of the people I know with GT350R change CF wheels to aftermarket wheels. The CF wheels on the R are the biggest difference in the price. In my case I purchased GT350 base because I can barely get out of my driveway, never mind with R. And roads here in NJ are so terrible, with R being lower I would hit the front splitter every time I'm on the road. I can afford expensive cars, but can't afford not enjoying them.
The sole reason Iā€™m putting my carbons up is to drive in the weather and the colder temps, as well as avoiding roadrash. Theyā€™ll go back on when I go to the track.

I recently had two screws in my right-rear PS2. At $4-500 a pop, I think itā€™s a wiser move to have a more streetable tire if one plans to drive the car, as I do. Here in Charleston the housing market is still going full swing. Nails, screws, ladders... heck, even wheelbarrows are in the roads.

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
About 2 months ago I took one of my R models out for the day with Lynn and I having a great time driving around the Coachella Valley after which time I decided to head over to the Thermal Club as it has quite a reputation around these parts therefore wanted to take a look at this cool facility.

Once I arrived and entered the security area it did not take long for the security guard who kindly asked me to turn around and leave. I pleaded my case that I just wanted to take a quick look around including the large presence that BMW has there but it was a no go. :crying:

Pretty much what I thought would happen but at least I gave it my best shot and had a nice drive out there that day. :clap:
Curious, how much is it to join "The Thermal Club" ? I'm assuming it's WAY outta my affordability range, but just wondering.

Sponsored

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Curious, how much is it to join "The Thermal Club" ? I'm assuming it's WAY outta my affordability range, but just wondering.
average net worth of the person or company that wants to become a member is estimated by the owner at 60 million. Membership is tied to property and the property is 3 million.

donā€™t let that fool you, they are just car people like you and me. They just play at a different level.

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
average membership estimated by the owner is net worth 60 million. Membership is tied to property and the prototype is 3 million.
Yup. Won't be moving there... šŸ˜‚

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
You can see why itā€™s hard to get past the front gates if youā€™re uninvited.

Itā€™s a complete town inside where they have 5 star dining, maintenance, gyms, bungalows, top notch security etc.ā€”all so that once youā€™re there, you never have to leave. Airport is right next to it so they fly in with their private jets and everything is concierge.

I started out at Willow Springs, thatā€™s where we did most of our photoshoots for MotorTrend/Hot Rod. Then I got to Spring Mountain which is like you dyed and gone to heaven. Thermal is like you died in heaven and then went to Heavenā€™s heaven. Its that good.

Sponsored

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
I took the time to read through all of these posts. Wow - some great information. Appreciate everyone providing their insights. I just traded my excellent condition 2016 GT350 Tech Pack (4,900 miles) and purchased an excellent condition 2020 GT350R (2,800 miles). I owned the 2016 for about 15 months. Traded it in at 96% of what I paid for it. It is currently listed for sale at close to original sticker. Feels like that pricing is a little high, but the 2016 350 will likely sell in the low-to-mid 50s based what I observed in the market. I bought the 2020 GT350R for $73k or 95% of original sticker.

I recently posted on this experience and what I observed in the marketplace. I spent about a month doing on-line research across various geographic distances from my ZIP. Built numerous spreadsheets (I'm in corporate finance so this was easy to assemble). GT 350 / 350R prices are definitely up. I heard what other members said they purchased their 350/350Rs for say a year or less ago, and I would have loved to find those prices today. But they are not there. I don't see this as a bad thing at all. These are amazing vehicles. I hope the 350/350R continue to maintain their values into the future.

I drove my 2018 GT Roush Phase II Supercharged (far from "stock") and the 2020 GT350R today. Completely different animals, but both have fantastic attributes. The Roush is easy 10s in the quarter with average driving and it has so much low-end pull / torque. But the feel of the 350R and hitting the power burst at say 4k RPM and climbing all the way to 8k - WOW. But I am not going into some healthy turns at 100mph with the 750hp stang on drag radials. I had no fear whatsoever in the GT350R. It just east the turns and comes out screaming. I wish it was a little warmer today, as the tires were still a bit cold (mid 50s in NE Ohio today and cold roads). I cannot wait to get the GT350R to the track.

Kind of ironic. One works so hard to generate the income / wealth to afford these vehicles and the other niceties in life, but you also work so hard that you can't always find sufficient time to just "unplug" and go out for a spired drive.

And... my 10 year old car-geek encyclopedia son rode with me in the 350R today. He was loving it and smiling ear to ear and demanding more. I had to remind him that we are not on a closed race track. Can't push the car even further on back country roads, pay attention to the car, pay attention to everything around you, while also thinking about cops, deer, other cars, etc. He of course understood.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'll just leave this here...

I caught my self not paying attention wat he was saying, instead I was staring at the rifles in the back room.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I changed my CF wheels because I wanted them for track with dedicated tires. I can tell you when I changes, I felt the difference. The steering felt much lighter with the CF

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Iā€™ve driven them both R and non-R) back-to-back on the track. Thereā€™s a real and measurable difference. Thereā€™s even a measurable difference between the ā€˜16 R I had and my ā€˜20 R.

If there did not exist a measurable difference, Ford couldnā€™t justify the R premium, as the R isnā€™t a stickers package.

Look at the comments from the guys who own the Mach1. Many are saying itā€™s the funnest car theyā€™ve ever driven, yet they canā€™t accurately compare the recent PP2 or Bullitt Mustangs to the Mach1 because of package differences that are functional.

The R can be a daily driver, you just get used to how you drive it daily. If you need a back seat you can get one for an R. You can always swap out front spoilers and put different shoes on it. It is as daily a car as it gets to those who can appreciate it as that.

Hands down, IMHO, the GT350R is the most sophisticatedly streetable track-capable mustang Ford has ever made.

I just left our Saturday morning cars n coffee here in Mt Pleasant, SC and there are some amazing rides that attend. I spent a considerable amount of time talking to the owner of these beauties...
D2424BF9-20CB-40AD-AEC6-ED4B399CD016.jpeg

We talked about Ford stuff, heritage stuff, and the general uses of our cars and he said he preferred driving his older GT than the new one if comfort is considered. This is a man who also owns an 812SF so he appreciates function and aesthetics. While we were talking I heard more than one person come by and say, ā€œIt has a V6,ā€ as if the car had cancer or some handicap. He then reminded them of the wins the car has under its belt, but they didnā€™t care... they just thought the car should have what they thought it should have. Itā€™s all perspective.

When I got back to my car, HEPR #178, which was parked beside this beauty...
0FF887E1-B6BB-470F-9BC3-210274EE6ED0.jpeg

there were many people looking inside the old GT350 and not even paying any attention to mine. This GT350 was #179. I just mused as I heard the conversations about how this was a real Shelby and chuckled. The owner of the GT350 was appreciative of the HEPR and said he respected the car for being an absolutely great Mustang. I told him I enjoyed it, but peopleā€™s perspectives are just that... theirs.

I love cars period. Some I wouldnā€™t own, some I would, but what I do own is because itā€™s what I wanted and could do what I expected of it. My perspective is my HEPR and itā€™s my favorite car ever.
Real Shelby? :crackup:
Sponsored