Sponsored

How to repair exposed carbon fiber wheels.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tomster, awesome write up. Thank you for the post. I do have a question if you don't mind me asking. I have a wheel that is damaged in the barrel and loses about 1-2 pounds of air a day(seems to be a rock got between the caliper and barrel). Non structural. Would you just apply resin over the crack of have it send out to Spyder composites? pics are below

Carbon wheel damage 1.jpg

carbon wheel damage 2.jpg

carbon wheel damage barrel.jpg
I just came across a wheel just like this. I used an exact knife to open up the crack slightly on either side so that I could apply epoxy and let it seep in. I used a vacuum on the inner barrel to help pull in the epoxy until it settled in. I added epoxy until the point of refusal. Once the epoxy cured, I added some carbon fibers and some resin to the depression on the inside of the barrel and let it cure. I then followed up with a patch of the damaged ceramic.

It came out nice.
Sponsored

HSKDG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Not to bump this from the dead, but it’s justified as it's worth its weight in gold.

Tom has given us the knowledge and info to help repair these wheels, all you need is patience. I tackled two leaks on one wheel, one being a large gouge from a tire spoon from a shop who improperly dismounted/mounted tires before my ownership and another from a rock stuck between the caliper and wheel.

This was my first attempt at using anything resin based and my repairs were 100% successful. I took the car out to Sebring International Raceway this past Friday and ran it hard with not a single issue with the wheels, even seeing some blazing hot temperatures coming off track from a black flagged session with no cool down (still did a few loops in the paddock after to cool them).

Friends of mine thought I was crazy, many were skeptical, but now they are believers as well.

Thanks again Tom for your dedication to the community!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not to bump this from the dead, but it’s justified as it's worth its weight in gold.

Tom has given us the knowledge and info to help repair these wheels, all you need is patience. I tackled two leaks on one wheel, one being a large gouge from a tire spoon from a shop who improperly dismounted/mounted tires before my ownership and another from a rock stuck between the caliper and wheel.

This was my first attempt at using anything resin based and my repairs were 100% successful. I took the car out to Sebring International Raceway this past Friday and ran it hard with not a single issue with the wheels, even seeing some blazing hot temperatures coming off track from a black flagged session with no cool down (still did a few loops in the paddock after to cool them).

Friends of mine thought I was crazy, many were skeptical, but now they are believers as well.

Thanks again Tom for your dedication to the community!
It ain't rocket science. Glad I could help.
Sponsored