Sponsored

How to identify a leaky valve cover or gasket?

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I recently installed cams on my car, and when I started the car back up for the first time I noticed something I thought was odd. Shortly after start up, there was a bit of smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It looked to me like something probably got on the header and was burning off. The thing that caught my attention was that it looked like it was being blown by something, and the only thing I could figure was that there was air coming from somewhere. Looked like maybe it was coming from the area of the passenger side valve cover. There was no oil coming out, and the smoke went away after 20 seconds or so.

Is there a good way to identify if there is a leak in the valve cover gasket or the valve cover itself? Would oil be spraying out? Is it even possible for enough air to come out that it would blow smoke away? I wasn't able to run the car for very long because I had a coolant leak and I need to replace the radiator. Likely going to do that on Sunday, so I'll take a look again after I get the car running. I guess the good news is that if there is an issue, the passenger side valve cover is much easier to get on and off than the driver's side cover...
Sponsored