Sponsored

How to best go about trading in my 15GT for a 16 GT350?

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
I'm financing. I put 20k down on the GT and paying the rest over 5 years. Should I sell it privately or will Ford give a decent value for trade in?
Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Tough call, I would try outright because they don't need your trade to sell the GT350, but it sound like you need to sell the GT to get the GT350.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Apply generous amounts of lube. Koons Ford has 3 GT350s set at over $70K. The GT holds value pretty well, it might not be worth the wait trying to sell it privately for the difference you'll get. The real focus of the fight should be in trying to get the dealer markup down

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Almost always guaranteed to get more through private party. But it is easier to trade vehicles in than sell privately.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
The real focus of the fight should be in trying to get the dealer markup down

I have a new rule when buying cars. If the dealer ever tries to charge me more than list, they never get another sale out of me.

The dealer by my house wanted to $2K over sticker for a Focus RS, so far it cost the the sale on an Escape and a Mustang.

Short sited dealers really aggravate me.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You'll have to shop around, some give pretty good values, and if your state does tax reduction when trading in on a new car, that usually is significant savings (acts as higher trade in value).

WHealy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Agreed that private sale will get you more cash ... but that could be as low as $2K difference. If that's worth the private sale then that's the path. But don't just take whatever on a trade or that margin could be much higher.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
$20k down? Damn. That's awesome. Your monthly payment must be easy.

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
With 20K down, you should be on the positive equity side. Trading the GT into a dealer should not only pay it off, but give you some cash to spare. That's the benefit of putting so much down.

The dealer is going to ask you what you owe on your GT, and use that against you. If they know you only owe 12K for example, they're going to offer you something shitty for your trade so they can maximize profit. Instead, ask to have the car appraised for a trade in value. Try your best to not divulge what you actually owe...you might be surprised when they appraise you for more...meaning there's some positive equity for you.

If the GT350 is at the same dealer that you bought your GT from...you should expect some kind of frequent buyer discount.

The BEST you could hope for is MSRP on the GT350. People are paying over MSRP because the car is in demand. If you're in that boat...and you're willing to pay over MSRP, then you need to have a figure in your head before you even walk in. Settle for nothing less.

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Consider the tax benefit of trading in your car.

If you sell it privately, you're responsible for taxes on the full sale price. If you trade in your car, you pay the difference between the price of your trade-in and the new vehicle you are buying, not the full price of the new car you bought. This can save you a few grand in some cases.

Sponsored

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
Not sure how things work in Canada but in certain states your trade in gets you a nice tax deduction on the tax you pay on the new car.

For Example where I live I would get 2.25k tax credit for a 30k trade-in. which could make up for the loss from not doing a private sale.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
The dealer is going to ask you what you owe on your GT, and use that against you. If they know you only owe 12K for example, they're going to offer you something shitty for your trade so they can maximize profit. Instead, ask to have the car appraised for a trade in value. Try your best to not divulge what you actually owe...you might be surprised when they appraise you for more...meaning there's some positive equity for you.
Yes, this is good advice. I should have followed that, but all in all it worked out alright for me. I didn't put no $20k down on mine, Jesus hell haha. That's like a house downpayment LOL. But badass all the same to have done that. I had $4k down, but I kind of dumbassed my way through pure luck by not divulging that. I did tell him what I owed on my trade-in car before anything was offered and then was expecting him to offer me exactly what I needed to pay that loan off. He gave me $2k more to work with, and it was exactly what I had looked up what my car ought to bluebook for trade-in value. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't even let him in on the fact that I had money already to put down. I'd expected them to try to lowball me for only the loan payoff and that I'd have to haggle my way up to bluebook, but because he didn't ask if I was putting money down and I didn't divulge that until a price was offered for my '06. I'm pretty sure if he knew that I already had some funds to put down first before we discussed my trade-in, I'd have gotten lowballed below bluebook.

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Consider the tax benefit of trading in your car.

If you sell it privately, you're responsible for taxes on the full sale price. If you trade in your car, you pay the difference between the price of your trade-in and the new vehicle you are buying, not the full price of the new car you bought. This can save you a few grand in some cases.
Not necessarily so. I bought a new 16 GT a few weeks and sold my old GT to a private party. I wrote up a hill of sale for the old GT that showed the sales price and they took that amount off my new GT when I paid taxes on it last week. Saved me about $1000 in taxes.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
In vancouver, a normal detached house costs about 3 million. In the "bad" parts of town, 1.5-2.5 million. Nice areas can go up to 4-5 easy. So yeah downpayment can be like $600,000 ><

The dealership I bought my car from didn't get any gt350s. They're not an SVT dealer. Apparently they get them from a dealership in the states, and that place only got ONE. Sigh..

Melekith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
and that place only got ONE. Sigh..
This. This is why there's such a high ADM right now. The base GT350 with no options is under 50K US dollars, yet it's the same power plant as the higher spec'd R (obviously there's the difference in weight, aero, suspension). But same power plant.

If you can get one at MSRP right now...you're extremely lucky :hail:
Sponsored