Sponsored

How to Best Approach After-Warranty Repair for Issue Predating Expiration?

beanbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
So I posted about this before but am curious how to maximize my chances with Ford covering this issue, or at least how to handle it best because it sure seems pretty darn coverable in my mind.

Basically, I had an issue with the whole Sync/infotainment panel in my 2015 V6. It would just cut out completely, with only pulling a fuse restarting it. No radio, no backup camera, nothing.

So I brought it in, under warranty. They did a reset of the system in July and updated it, I suppose. Issue didn't crop up again...until April, with the warranty was past. Why did it take so long? Well the whole issue is fairly obviously temperature-based. It did it on hot days, and the time it happened again in April was on a particularly hot spring day.

So now they say they're switching out some part (I didn't catch exactly what). In my mind, it's fairly clear that the reset and update they did didn't fix the issue, and it took me a while to bring it back in because the issue was temperature sensitive. If they'd replaced that part from the start I'd be covered by the extra year on the repair warranty.

So...is there anything I need to do to plead my case to Ford/the dealer? Anyone have experience with making these type of arguments?
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Express your concerns directly to a rep from Ford. Get it started there and not at the dealer level. It all goes to Ford in the end for warranty work anyways so better off just skipping the dealer BS.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering if you ever tried hitting the power button inside the volume knob? I had mine seemingly die on me once after a trip to the dealership and that was how I got it back on and working before resorting to the fuse. Same thing has worked for a few other people I've told.

OP
OP

beanbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
Express your concerns directly to a rep from Ford. Get it started there and not at the dealer level. It all goes to Ford in the end for warranty work anyways so better off just skipping the dealer BS.

I contacted Ford as soon as I got off the phone with the dealer and they ended up directed me back to the dealer after explaining everything. I'll try again with Ford and see if I can make any headway.

OP
OP

beanbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
Just wondering if you ever tried hitting the power button inside the volume knob? I had mine seemingly die on me once after a trip to the dealership and that was how I got it back on and working before resorting to the fuse. Same thing has worked for a few other people I've told.

We tried everything, the system goes totally unresponsive when it happens. I pushed every button there is!

OP
OP

beanbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6
And of course as I finish reply to everyone, my dealer calls me and lets me know that Ford is covering the repair, so that's nice.
Sponsored