Sponsored

How long should it take to get an allocation

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Hey, so I placed my order about 2.5 weeks ago now. The dealership took my deposit and it seemed that the order would be placed relatively quickly. I am not being told they haven't placed it as they are trying to get an allocation from Ford. How long should this be taking? Is this a normal delay?
Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
Hey, so I placed my order about 2.5 weeks ago now. The dealership took my deposit and it seemed that the order would be placed relatively quickly. I am not being told they haven't placed it as they are trying to get an allocation from Ford. How long should this be taking? Is this a normal delay?
Interested also. Vert order just placed yesterday. Medium sized dealership, so uncertain as to size of normal allocation. Also are retail orders constrained by allocation? :shrug:

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT

It depends.....Dealership sales manager should be able to tell you how many allocations they have and how many will be filled by prior orders before they get to your order....

It's not unheard of for dealers to get sold orders for cars they have no allocation for.....

....Hoping they will eventually get an allocation and to take you out of the market......

If you are dealing with a small dealership with few historical Mustang sales, you could be in for a long wait....

No allocation=no car

OP
OP

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I feel really tricked. Not sure how I should proceed. So when I purchased it was implied an allocation would be forthcoming, within a few days or a week at the outmost. It has been 3 weeks now and this is the response I got from my dealer.

I received on email from my Ford Rep. stating that your Mustang will get build during February Production. They’ve just finished up December and January production. There will be Allocation for your Mustang. It just doesn’t show until we do our Ordering in January. These are Fords guidelines, and its standard procedure with Factory Orders.

I responded, that had they been upfront and said they couldn't even guarantee me a car until January I would have passed. Basically, they took a deposit from me, hoping to get an allocation in January but nothing is confirmed yet. So frustrating.

In hindsight I should have picked up on this. When we first started talking the time line was Dec/Jan. Then, in trying to be good about things, the sales manager said, 'well I don't want you to get upset if it takes longer, so it could take until the end of March, but that is very worst case scenario, I am sure it will be sooner than that'. It sounds like he knew there was no allocation and decided not to disclose that. Should be a fun time trying to get my non refundable deposit back.....

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
But you are old enough to figure out that the factory is closed for 14 days and that we are already by end of November? I did order my car on the 12th of August. Delivery is around 7th of December.

So go figure out how long other members are waiting for their Mustang.
You are smart enough to use the inventory search from FORD or ask your dealer to look for a car what comes close to what you like to have. Don't blame the dealer when you show up on the end of the year. Buy one from the lot. :tsk:

Sponsored

OP
OP

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup all good and valid points. Just don't like being mislead, and outright lied to. Felt the dealer and sales manager were trustworthy, apparently not so much.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Yup all good and valid points. Just don't like being mislead, and outright lied to. Felt the dealer and sales manager were trustworthy, apparently not so much.
WOW! If you don't like your dealership, walk away! Right now. Ask them nicely to get your money back because you can't wait that long.

Sorry! You are NOT doing your research before you making a down payment, blaming the dealer they don't tell you the truth? Not cool at all!

1. Standard answer from FORD if you order a car: 8 weeks
2. Standard answer from FORD if you order a car: maybe longer

A) You signed the order with knowing it.
B) You paid the down payment freely.

Again. Nobody is misleading you because the dealer doesn't know any dates because FORD has do go back to the dealership after it was ordered, when the car can be expected to be delivered. And there is no exact date only a ETA.

So what would you say if you would sell cars? Nothing different I assume.
If your down payment is non-refundable - gosh I think you made something wrong of buying a car. But you can't blame the dealer. I mean you know how big the dealer is when you are on there lot. My dealer isn't that big either. But I have known that going through the door. Guess what they said? "8 weeks - maybe longer..." Did they lie to me? No! Because I had known that FORD didn't build the car until end of August. Did I get upset how FORD is informing the dealer? Yes! But that's how it is. My dealer offered me a car if I would need one until my Mustang would arrive. Did you ask your dealer about it if it takes longer? I assume not...... Only saying! :gossip:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT BASE PP
Hi!

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in about waiting for an ordered unit. I ordered end of September when employee pricing was on, great discount by the way.

Dealer told me straight up before making the purchase, you will not have this car till February 2015. So sit tight and wait. I am not a patient person, but this car will be worth the wait. Loved my 11 GT!

I don`t have a VIN at this time either, waiting patiently. Snow tires are ready and waiting!

Hoping to get some news soon from my dealer.

Just sit and wait, think about all the great times you will have when it arrives!

kws6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I would wait it out and expect the car to arrive in the latter part of March.....Instead of getting into a fight trying to get your deposit back....

You probably wont get a factory order any sooner elsewhere, and it gives a few extra months for "bugs" to be worked out.

It doesnt make sense to beat yourself up at this point....Just know what specifically to ask before you sign on the dotted line next time.
Sponsored