Sponsored

How good is Bang & Olufsen speaker set, really?

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
I'm not a huge audiophile, and only listen to streaming music (Spotify). I.e. no FLAC or audio CDs. I do enjoy good music, tho. E.g. I can clearly see the difference between laptop's built-in speakers (bad) and a dedicated set of tabletop speakers (good).

Now I'm getting a new Mustang GT premium convertible and trying to understand whether Bang & Olufsen is worth the price to me. One extra concern is this option comes with a CD player, and hence I want to avoid spending money on something I won't ever use.

My understanding is that a GT premium with 401A package already comes with a decent set of speakers, so I don't need anything extra. However, if someone thinks B&O worth the money, I would love to hear your considerations. Thanks!
Sponsored

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
I had a 2020 GT premium with the "regular" stereo system and IMO it was terrible for a top of the line mustang. I have the B&O in my Bullitt and it is leaps and bounds better.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
If you're not a huge audiophile, or like me, have hearing damage, the B&O is a good factory system.
Resale value could be considered.
I previously had leased EB's, so I had to have shaker system, so I could listen to my music. And I am not an audiophile, so the shaker was fine. I do get that both shaker and B&O seems to be just a whole lots bass.

With all seriousness, I thought I'd miss factory sub (I am bit OCD and likes to keep my cars factory. Maybe subconsciously for the resale value?), so I was happy when I happened to find a GT with B&O. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the shaker and the B&O, even though people say one is better over the other, unless I am parked with windows up.

And after a week of owning the GT, I still haven't gotten tired of actually hearing the exhaust (let alone V8), that I have not turned up the music while driving.

One thing is for sure, I test drove a GT with regular audio, and the sound difference between reg. audio and shaker/B&O is indeed large.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The sub is the biggest issue. 2d would be that it just isn't quite loud enough. I am always trying to turn it up and I am already at max volume. Especially so in a vert with her top dropped.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The original 19’ GT/401A I looked had the standard system in it. It was fine for the news or talk radio. For music is was poor compared to the Shaker system on had on my 15’ EB.

My current GT/CS has the B&O system. IMHO it is more than decent, especially for a factory system. As Mik said you kind of answered your own question. I think you will not be happy with the standard system, but will enjoy the B&O.

fastergt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
The sub is the biggest issue. 2d would be that it just isn't quite loud enough. I am always trying to turn it up and I am already at max volume. Especially so in a vert with her top dropped.
I know it is funny with the B&O one would think with 1000 watts it would blow you out of the car, on radio not so, but I put my favorite CD at the existing volume and when it started to play I almost lost my hearing. Explain that one.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
B&O is fine once you replace the OEM sub with a proper one. OEM is all boom and completely overwhelms what is otherwise a reasonable system

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
Ok, thanks everyone. Guess I had to name the thread “how bad is standard sound?” instead of “how good is b&o?” :)

But anyhow, you convinced me. I just asked the dealer to add b&o to my order. Good news is it somehow bumped the priority from 19 to 10, so I hope to wait a little less now.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ok, thanks everyone. Guess I had to name the thread “how bad is standard sound?” instead of “how good is b&o?” :)

But anyhow, you convinced me. I just asked the dealer to add b&o to my order. Good news is it somehow bumped the priority from 19 to 10, so I hope to wait a little less now.
Good for you.

Now for some light reading while you are waiting. :like::)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-i-improved-the-b-o-sound-quality-for-free.141052/

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I really like my B&O. I did do two things that I think really improved it - disabled the center speaker, and I replaced the cheap subwoofer with a upgraded one. Just swapped the speakers nothing else. Huge improvement for me in those two fixes, I think my sound system is great.

(both of my changes are the guides listed above)

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Honestly to me, the B&O sounds system does not sound any different than the standard audio systems in my other cars but again like you I am not an audiophile, if there is I wouldn't be able to tell.

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
There is a major difference between the B&O and standard system. If one can't tell the difference, they shouldn't have an audio system in their vehicle.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Once you get it I recommend testing out the surround vs stereo modes in it. I actually found I preferred surround stock, with some adjustments fading the front speakers to the back a tick or two. I definitely think the stock B&O is worth it.
Sponsored