Sponsored

How can I clean the edges of clear film?

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
After some time, all the edges appear to have a thin black outline, due to dirt buildup.
BTW, my car is also ceramic coated.
Tricky!

Perhaps team a soft, synthetic brush with a bug remover or APC. Lightly agitate and rinse thoroughly.
Detail Factory - Ultra-Soft Detailing Brushes | The Rag Company

Another tip I came across was using a cue tip and an IPA based product (50/50 IPA &Water, Carpro Eraser ect). Soak the tips in the product and agitate along the edges.

This gentleman used a clay bar -

A couple of others to look at -

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'll chime in with...

I have had PPF on a number of vehicles including my '14 500 that I sold and my friend who was the film installer uses D's second method..i.e., IPA which (to my knowledge,) does not remove the adhesive on the film but it does get most of the contamination.

I don't use a Q-tip because I've had small strings of cotton get stuck in there. Instead I use a very thin piece of cotton, (think T-shirt material,) soaked with 99 percent IPA and gently attempt to remove the dirt. I have rarely been able to get ALL the grime but I usually get the majority of it.

The biggest problem is once you get contamination at the edge, the adhesive is also compromised and the edge will almost never stick back to the panel completely so inevitably you wind up with the dirty again and you have to repeat the process maybe every six months depending on the miles driven.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Okay, I guess I'll try IPA, old t-shirt and my fingernail to see what happens.
If it is not effective (whether or not due to ceramic coat), then I'll probably just live with it.

With age, one learns to put limits on his OCD.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Philip: I don't believe the coating will affect your ability to remove the grime because it occurred after the coating was applied. The grime is nearly all on the PPF anyway, not the paint, because it's stuck to the adhesive on the film. In turn, that adhesive makes it difficult to remove the dang grime but 99 IPA should get most of it off. Whether it will stick back to the panel afterward is a crap shoot. Be patient when removing and be gentle to the film.

Reactions: GTP

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Phillip: I forgot to mention a product that will probably help you out after you get the inner edge of the film as clean as you can.

SEALITPEN

It is essentially a Magic Marker with adhesive instead of ink. You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere but that was the first image I saw at Kamazonski. Of course, Amazon pays the big G for that privilege. :cool:

Anyway, the pen is simple to use but just do a short section (maybe six inches,) at a time as you move along the edges making sure to press it down over and over with a MF towel.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored