Sponsored

Horesepower needed to beat a bike

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
You can't beat their power to weight ratio. You can beat the rider. I've been riding since 1971 but if you put me on a new liter bike I don't have the skills to bring it out of the hole. I also weigh 250 pounds so I kill the power to weight ratio a bit. I just don't have the skills anymore. When I had them the suzuki 1000 only made 83 horsepower. I bought a honda 1300st and I couldn't get on it hard in first gear without pulling the front wheel too high and that bike was only a sport tourer. It supposedly turned an 11.4 in the 1/4 mile but definitely not with me riding it.
you don't need a good rider, you just need a dumb one... as soon as they twist that gas, is game over... even if you weigh 250 lbs... a liter bike will obliterate the car on a straight line race... specially from a roll...

that's why i said, 90% street riders can't turn/brake for shit... they only do roll racing because their ability is only good for straight line... on a mountain rd, with the regular average FL rider, you can beat them with a fucking miata...
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
on a mountain rd, with the regular average FL rider, you can beat them with a fucking miata...
or push bike. When I used to live in Tampa all we had were 90 deg corners and it was embarrassing to watch the wobbling.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
600cc 4 strokes are some of the funnest bikes you can possibly be on (at the track).

I did the Freddy Spencer Grand Prix school (Nicky Hayden was in our class too) and we used the Honda 600 and they were a lot of fun specially as the speeds kept on climbing.
You can trash them and they just take it.

I've had a LOT of 750's as well, and even though they are 10lbs heavier, they feel like a LOT heavier bike on track.
And with a 750, if you really want to show off the power difference from a 600, you really have to wind it out as well.

I hate 600s honestly.

Last edited:

Kazman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kaz
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT500 , 2015 Z06 Corvette , 2019 Widebody Hellcat Challenger
Hey guys,

Serious question, in getting ready for next summer, how much hp does a car need to keep up with 600cc and 1000cc bikes. Currently pushing 680rwhp/850 to the crank...
Thats a great question . I have the same dilemma . I have modded C7 Z06 in my stable . It makes 860 rwhp and 830 rwt . Theres a few bikes here where i live but one of my friends has a Turbo Busa . According to him it makes around 300 hp to the tire . The only way i can beat him is if he "chickens out " when we are going at it . By that i mean , the roads here are appalling at best , we live in a Mining town and theres always lots of dirt and dust on the surface and with only two tire gripping the road , its squirely at best . However , when the roads are clear and clean , pretty sure its going to be the bike . I have raced a couple of 600,s from a roll and beaten them , its the big ones im unsure of .

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
600cc 4 strokes are some of the funnest bikes you can possibly be on (at the track).

I did the Freddy Spencer Grand Prix school (Nicky Hayden was in our class too) and we used the Honda 600 and they were a lot of fun specially as the speeds kept on climbing.
You can trash them and they just take it.

I've had a LOT of 750's as well, and even though they are 10lbs heavier, they feel like a LOT heavier bike on track.
And with a 750, if you really want to show off the power difference from a 600, you really have to wind it out as well.
The torque though, it’s a significant upgrade. That’s what feels gutless to me on 600s, on a track where you sit 9-14k rpm it may not feel significant but god. 8-10lbs more engine in for another 150 of engine is a sacrifice worth doing

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
modern day bikes have quickshifters from the factory for no clutch up and downshifting, which makes them even more insane.

my bmw s1000r also has cruise control (only ever use it on super long trips to relax my right arm for a bit if needed), and has heated grips; which is actually really nice on cold nights.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My car is around 850rwhp and I've had good luck beating up on the street bikes that have tried me. Only one I lost to was a highway pull when I had my street tires on and spun bad enough that I had to let out.

The last one I whacked was off a light I think it was a 750 the guy said. Lowered with extended swing arm sounded nice for a sport bike. He hung with me in 1st, but once I hit 2nd and stopped spinning I pulled him good.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The new 1000cc bikes have a lot of electronics that make them very hard to go down on.
I don't agree with that. Yeah, you might not flip the bike over if it has wheelie control, but you can crash many other ways while popping a wheelie. In addition, even with IMU rider controls (cornering ABS, T/C, etc), you have to know what you're doing, AND be smooth, or none of that crap would save you. Grab the front brake while cornering, and if you exceed whatever 100% traction you have at the time (much less wet than dry, for instance), and you'd be instantly on the ground.

People serious about riding (and driving too), always invest in rider/driver training (and proper riding gear too). I've done many multi-day track schools for both bikes and cars, and the biggest gains by far happened with the first one in both instances. Reading books in lieu of proper training helps a lot, especially for bikes, to understand the physics of riding (countersteering, etc). I was never afraid of riding, but never lost respect either, so that's why I've never done anything stupid, like wheelies on the street, racing on the street, etc. But to each his own, I guess. It's fun watching though. Ha ha.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I don't agree with that. Yeah, you might not flip the bike over if it has wheelie control, but you can crash many other ways while popping a wheelie. In addition, even with IMU rider controls (cornering ABS, T/C, etc), you have to know what you're doing, AND be smooth, or none of that crap would save you. Grab the front brake while cornering, and if you exceed whatever 100% traction you have at the time (much less wet than dry, for instance), and you'd be instantly on the ground.

People serious about riding (and driving too), always invest in rider/driver training (and proper riding gear too). I've done many multi-day track schools for both bikes and cars, and the biggest gains by far happened with the first one in both instances. Reading books in lieu of proper training helps a lot, especially for bikes, to understand the physics of riding (countersteering, etc). I was never afraid of riding, but never lost respect either, so that's why I've never done anything stupid, like wheelies on the street, racing on the street, etc. But to each his own, I guess. It's fun watching though. Ha ha.
Guess i should have specified. Its harder to go down on if you dont act like an idiot and have any type of knowledge on how to ride. Lol

I agree with the second part. Fortunately the military pays for all of our training. Track training included.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately the military pays for all of our training. Track training included.
So you can attend California Superbike School on the military dime? Man, I missed out.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

yeah wheelies are for tools.

/whistles. I would ride these for miles at a time. No license plate, cops never messed with me in my area. I did these on my new gsxs1000 but I haven't felt the desire anymore. my gf rides with me and after the previous experience.

+1 on super bike track days, great training tools.

there's a pic of my old EcoBoost too! oh man, that thing got totaled by hit run driver.
39310504_10156821601848923_2122538241721630720_n_10156821601843923.jpg

I got busted going 165-170 at tail of the dragon with a bunch of people, he let me go but fined a lot of others, (I was a police officer at that time) so I gained the nickname o'conner jokingly. they was pissed
46883432_10157087652468923_5180899911066976256_n_10157087652458923.jpg

17A80AB3-7774-40C6-8225-D0AC5911FCDD_zps785rio7p.jpg

3C435D7E-D58A-48FC-AD18-DE37605DCCF9_zpsau9myfut.jpg

I was pretty serious about the sport, man I was stupid and blew so much money!!!

01CACA3A-4BA2-4DDD-BA48-38585831CEE1_zpsegd91l3w.jpg
22_zpsj0edvc6a.jpg
3AFD4437-9F20-48AA-9E93-59C9559134D3_zps3dpa3x1i.jpg

711C8F61-658F-4F25-A723-D9B7BFC71DBA_zps8be8ulty.jpg

DSC_03671_zpsvoh1ujiq.jpg

58C362F8-7954-40BD-8173-3F8375CA1F4B_zpsnnplp6by.jpg

86690C80-2196-4370-8B85-51D5BCB0EF3E_zpskq4nmncj.jpg

there's times I miss all the bike stuff, but honestly it is a lot of work to do the track days, money, time, prep, its a pain in ass. I bet some of you guys do it with cars, but you can easily just drive there.

Last edited:

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
So you can attend California Superbike School on the military dime? Man, I missed out.
Yep. Any training that is available they will reimburse you for. Basic and advanced riders courses are even required to ride on base.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
That would do the job. I'm sure a lot of bike owners would like to tell you otherwise. However, the fastest stock street bikes out there typically run 9s in the 1/4 at maybe 150 mph with professional riders. There is plenty of mustangs running 7s and 8s at 170+ mph. There is also the fact that 95% of bike owners aren't professionals racing on the daily and couldn't even drive them to their maximum stock performance.
That’s why I said 8’s. very few riders will even consider breaking 10’s on the street next to a 4000lb monster rolling 10’s on the street, which would be a low 9 high 8 strip car with the exception of some high tech stuff . Too freaky to ride next to a car keeping up with a crotch rocket. I’ve been there before and it’s a strange feeling.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So you can attend California Superbike School on the military dime?
That's pretty cool. But as a school, I recommend Champ School with Nick Ienatsch WAY more than SS. SS is crap IMO; I just do my own thing there. Last time I was there was in April of last year, on a 2-day camp in Laguna Seca, since I wanted to ride there (it was awesome).
Sponsored