Sponsored

Highest IATs at idle.......

Zuul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP Premium
Last few days here in delaware are starting to heat up. Today it's around 95 degrees out. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes I decided to look at my IATS and it's 143 degrees ! Is this normal ? What are you guys running at during 90 degree plus weather. I never checked my iats with the stock intake. I have the mmr intake currently. It just seems 143 is awful hot. Or is this common....
Sponsored

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I have seen 145 IAT in 10 mph traffic on the highway and it wasn't even 90+ degree outside. It sucks that it gets that high but I don't think it indicates a problem.

Edit: All stock at the time.

OP
OP
Zuul

Zuul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP Premium
I got up to 146 before the light changed. Cruising at 45mph I'm running around 120 degrees

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I've seen some pretty high temps at idle with these 90*+ days but when I'm moving, mine always drops back down almost exactly to ambient.

OP
OP
Zuul

Zuul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP Premium
I'm running 4 degrees above ambent at 65 in the highway

Sponsored

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Last few days here in delaware are starting to heat up. Today it's around 95 degrees out. Sitting at a stop light for a few minutes I decided to look at my IATS and it's 143 degrees ! Is this normal ? What are you guys running at during 90 degree plus weather. I never checked my iats with the stock intake. I have the mmr intake currently. It just seems 143 is awful hot. Or is this common....

Yes it will get up there when stopped for a minute or two. Yes it will cool when cruising on the hwy. Still, slow to drop back down on a stock IC. My car with all stock parts gets to about 120-130 at a light when its 80.

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
Ive hit about 145 degrees when its about 90 outside. I'm thinking where's this heat coming from? I'm guessing the IAT sensor on the intake starts heatsoaking since there's no air moving through the intake at idle? I do have the MAPerformance intake and the stainless steel does get really hot under the hood. I have a bigger FMIC but really doesn't do anything for the intake air temps.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I just got back from dinner. I was going through a section of town, stop light to stop light in 90* so I watched my IAT this time after reading this. The highest I saw was 129*. It didn't seem to be going up any more after that. I still sat through a couple more lights after it got there.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
It's normal. Mine did the same today and then dropped down to like 5 degrees above ambient a minute later once I got moving but it was definitely some power killing heat out there

ecolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, magnetic, base, PP, Recaros
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. In really bad stop and go traffic, it briefly touched 170. It's over 100 deg here...

Sponsored

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
100 degrees, man you do have it hot!

Yeah the heat builds because of no airflow. The engine runs very hot, so it heats up the compartment, combined with the outside air etc.. It's my understanding that the IAT2 is more important which is after the IC. The better the IC the lower that number. I know the Cobb AP can measure that. The cars built in readout doesn't have it afik.

gargar15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
I usually see around 130ish for mine and I have a CAI. It was about 95 outside today.

OP
OP
Zuul

Zuul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red PP Premium
Well seems it's no big deal. I was just wondering how much difference there was over the stock intake.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I seen 145 degrees also. It sucks Its humid and hott here in Texas

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Once the stock intercooler gets heat soaked you need to run on the highway for at least a while to cool things down. A 5 minute romp at 50mph doesn't help much.
Wonder how much a GT type of hood would help drop those underhood temps
Sponsored