Sponsored

Help! VMP iat kit for whipple sc

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
This plugs into the imrc harness also. I have a harness that plugs into the back of the block and that harness plugs into the imrc harness. Then I have the relay that plugs into the abs fuse. I’m so damn confused lol. This kind of stuff if why I use the forums. I’ll message Lund tomorrow and remind them that I’m using the abs fuse and tell them all is good. Thanks
That’s for IAT2. The whipple tune collects IAT2 via the IMRC harness. This is why they (Lund) have you purchase the VMP IAT harness, because they just have you replace IAT1 with IAT2 and monitor the IAT2 via the IAT1 (also called air charge temp it ACT) because they don’t have the ability in their tune to do it the IMRC way.

But, it works out fine because in a forced induction situation from a tune perspective IAT1 doesn’t really matter, just post blower (IAT2) temp because that’s what’s actually entering the cylinders.
Sponsored

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
That’s for IAT2. The whipple tune collects IAT2 via the IMRC harness. This is why they (Lund) have you purchase the VMP IAT harness, because they just have you replace IAT1 with IAT2 and monitor the IAT2 via the IAT1 (also called air charge temp it ACT) because they don’t have the ability in their tune to do it the IMRC way.

But, it works out fine because in a forced induction situation from a tune perspective IAT1 doesn’t really matter, just post blower (IAT2) temp because that’s what’s actually entering the cylinders.
Gotcha! Makes sense now. I appreciate everything. Thank you very much

runner25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Kit comes with an instructions sheet, although kinda basic. It’s extremely simple though.

Find your current iat2 sensor, disconnect the cable to it and remove that cable from where it plugs into. Tape off the connector that extension was plugged in to. Carefully remove the iat2 sensor with the appropriate socket (it’s plastic and can break if not careful), I believe it’s 19mm. Screw in new brass VMP iat2 sensor. Find your maf plug on your intake (should be close to filter), unplug it, plug the vmp cable with the two ends in between the original cable and the maf sensor, then plug the other end into your new iat2 brass sensor.

Feel free to pm me or reply in here if you need any help, I just did it last weekend.
Did you install on a 2018? I'm having trouble locating iat2 sensor on my 2019 Bullitt. The VMP instructions are for 2015+ and say it is located on passenger side, the Whipple instructions indicate drivers side:

95. (Complete Kits Only) Connect the previously installed ACT pigtail (IAT2 manifold air temperature) to the pre-installed ACT sensor located on the driver side of intake manifold. Competition Kits: ACT pigtails are not included. Contact your tuning shop for proper wiring and sensor if you want to add post intercooler temps to PCM.

Thanks for any help!

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did you install on a 2018? I'm having trouble locating iat2 sensor on my 2019 Bullitt. The VMP instructions are for 2015+ and say it is located on passenger side, the Whipple instructions indicate drivers side:

95. (Complete Kits Only) Connect the previously installed ACT pigtail (IAT2 manifold air temperature) to the pre-installed ACT sensor located on the driver side of intake manifold. Competition Kits: ACT pigtails are not included. Contact your tuning shop for proper wiring and sensor if you want to add post intercooler temps to PCM.

Thanks for any help!
Yea, gen 5 whipple on a 2019 gt. On the normal gen 5, it is for sure located on the passenger side. Not sure why it would say driver side, unless that’s a bull it specific thing.

Either way, it’s super easy to find no matter what side it’s on. Get a flashlight and go to either side of the engine bay and look/feel around for something sticking out the back like it’s screwed into the whipple with a wire harness plugged into it. That’s the IAT2 sensor. I’d try the passenger side first, because that’s where I know mine is. It’s only a few inches behind it, easily seen with a flashlight.

Edit: another possibility is that they changed the location on newer kits. Whipple is constantly tweaking the kit and the instructions.

Just re-read the updated instructions which is for the GT and bullit, and it looks like maybe just an error or confusing wording in the instructions. In the other step where they have you install in the sensor, it’s still located on the rear passenger side.

runner25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yea, gen 5 whipple on a 2019 gt. On the normal gen 5, it is for sure located on the passenger side. Not sure why it would say driver side, unless that’s a bull it specific thing.

Either way, it’s super easy to find no matter what side it’s on. Get a flashlight and go to either side of the engine bay and look/feel around for something sticking out the back like it’s screwed into the whipple with a wire harness plugged into it. That’s the IAT2 sensor. I’d try the passenger side first, because that’s where I know mine is. It’s only a few inches behind it, easily seen with a flashlight.

Edit: another possibility is that they changed the location on newer kits. Whipple is constantly tweaking the kit and the instructions.

Just re-read the updated instructions which is for the GT and bullit, and it looks like maybe just an error or confusing wording in the instructions. In the other step where they have you install in the sensor, it’s still located on the rear passenger side.
Found it! Indeed on the passenger side. While I was back there noticed a blue connector that is NOT plugged together, was this similar for you?
Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.08.33 AM.png

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Found it! Indeed on the passenger side. While I was back there noticed a blue connector that is NOT plugged together, was this similar for you?
Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.08.33 AM.png
Yep :) with the normal whipple install there’s at least 1 or 2 plugs along that harness that are no longer used. If you want, you can wrap them in electrical tape or something just n case to keep any moisture out if you were to wash the engine bay or something. Once you install the VMP harness, one more plug is left unplugged on the harness that was on the old temp sensor and that can be wrapped up or left alone too.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Is the VMP harness compatible with the 2018? I am on the VMP page right now and it says that it won't work with my current fitment. I have a Roush and assume I need this for an aftermarket tune..

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is the VMP harness compatible with the 2018? I am on the VMP page right now and it says that it won't work with my current fitment. I have a Roush and assume I need this for an aftermarket tune..
It is compatible with 18+. Assuming the roush uses the same type of port for the temp sensor as all the others (don't see why it wouldn't), it should work just fine. Call VMP if you want to double check.

Jessekf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Sorry about bumping Any chance you could post a couple pictures of the completed install? I want to make sure I’m going to the correct places.

DMELO2247

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 2015 50th Anniversary 2016 3.7
I have a 3.0 whipple stage 2 on my 21 gt. Thinking of going to a lund tune. If i decide to ho back to the whipple supplied tune, will the whipple tune work ok with the brass sensor?

Sponsored

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 3.0 whipple stage 2 on my 21 gt. Thinking of going to a lund tune. If i decide to ho back to the whipple supplied tune, will the whipple tune work ok with the brass sensor?
Just get Ortiz tune!!! you won't regret it